Hey,

I received a warranty exchange 8820 last week, and it occasionally spontaneously reboots, so I'm exchanging it again.

Just wondering if anyone else's 8820 does this. I think it is caused by a memory error, which causes the JVM to reboot, because it always happens when memory is being consumed (like when downloading more text, or an app).

Patrick
    05-28-08 01:16 PM
    I have an 8800 not an 8820 but after warranty-exchanging mine in the 11th mo. for a failing 'End' key, I have gone through a SERIES of these with this problem. While the entire keyboard failed on the 2nd one, it, the 3rd and the 4th have all exhibited this behavior--love the refurbs. After now replacing the battery and SIM card, I'm convinced this is a software problem.

Did you use BB Desktop Manager to perform a "swap" to your new one, i.e. backup the old and restore to the new? I think this is transferring a corrupt file or setting from one to the other. I think I've eliminated 3rd-party apps as the cause (Google Maps, Yahoo Go) so it must be related to an internal app.

-Shawn
    05-29-08 03:34 PM
    I have an 8800 not an 8820 but after warranty-exchanging mine in the 11th mo. for a failing 'End' key, I have gone through a SERIES of these with this problem. While the entire keyboard failed on the 2nd one, it, the 3rd and the 4th have all exhibited this behavior--love the refurbs. After now replacing the battery and SIM card, I'm convinced this is a software problem.
    Actually, it is caused by an internal memory problem (the rebooting thing). When the JVM detects corrupt memory, it does this. It is sort of part of the security of the system.

Did you use BB Desktop Manager to perform a "swap" to your new one, i.e. backup the old and restore to the new? I think this is transferring a corrupt file or setting from one to the other. I think I've eliminated 3rd-party apps as the cause (Google Maps, Yahoo Go) so it must be related to an internal app.
    You are correct that transfering the old apps can transfer a corrupt file, causing the problem on the new BB, which is why I manually reloaded everything from scratch.

Basically, on mine, when you fill it (either with data or new software), when it reaches a certain part of memory, as that memory is bad, it causes the JVM to fail the system.

This next 8820 will be my fourth! I got mine brand new, and I have no idea if the ones they have been mailing me are new or refurbs, but I mentioned this to the tech and all he did was seem suspicious, like I was trying to pull a fast one on them. I swear, all I want is a working unit. These hourly techs get so jaded, you can sense they want to blame the failure on you.

If you are having this problem too, I'd exchange it again.
    05-29-08 05:06 PM
    My 8820 had this problem when I was running low on memory. It gave me a java-language error, and I had to exchange it.
    06-03-08 10:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD