My SysAdmin has the Bluetooth capability locked out (disabled) on my new 8830 due to unjustified fears about security with Bluetooth standards. Any hacks out there to sidestep this so I can use an earpiece with this thing?
    06-25-08 01:52 PM
    Nope. Nothing you can do about it unless your sys admin changes their mind.
    06-25-08 02:00 PM
    Now that's funny. Any chance he used to work for Verizon before your company hired the moron? I bet he sleeps with a tinfoil hat on.
    06-25-08 03:29 PM
    I was hoping there was some devious hack out there so I could stick it to the man.

He probably did work for Verizon, seeing as how this is a Verizon phone!

Any possibility that a hacker could use the bluetooth to hack into the email on the company server?

Thanks.
    06-26-08 10:02 AM
    Any possibility that a hacker could use the bluetooth to hack into the email on the company server?
    No, OBEX is disabled on the stack level of the Bluetooth on all Verizon phones.

And there is a way to pull the IT policy off the phone, but it'll get pushed back down again and you could get into trouble for doing it.

Don't get me wrong, there are ways to hack Bluetooth on a phone to turn it into a listening device remotely and such, but almost all of these kinds of hacks require a software install either by someone else, or by a user not knowing what it is (via email attachment). However, this is more commonly done on simple phones, where security is not as tight. On a Blackberry, if an application is not signed, it'll be limited by Permissions which limit it's access to the phone/network portions of the phone, unless set by the user to bypass those permissions.

I challange your IT guy to show me a Bluetooth hack on a Blackberry and used for nafarious purposes.
    06-26-08 10:56 AM
    Seems like the range would make any hack impractical right? Bluetooth has an effective range of ~10meters, right? The guy would have to be sitting in my cubicle next to me to hack it.
    06-26-08 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD