05-11-12 07:29 PM
46 12
tools
    im new at this too...
    if you gt a data plan, do you have access to the INTERNET???
    04-08-10 04:57 PM
    im new at this too...
    if you gt a data plan, do you have access to the INTERNET???
    YES!...provided that it is NOT simply an Email/IM data package (which some providers offer, like Rogers)
    04-08-10 06:33 PM
    once you get a data plan (on any phone), you will have trouble going back to no data plan haha
    04-08-10 06:34 PM
    Ok Here is what I did. purchased a 8820 on ebay. Took sim card from Rzr and put in BB. phone worked, turned on data, Called ATT and said to block all data. no internet unless I used WIF, no gps without special program. Put sim back in Rzr, called ATT said I want Media Net plan for phone. got it set up and working $15.00/month. Put sim back in BB. Now have internet, gps and several other functions that need data plan to use. Ablew to tether. No problem.
    04-09-10 02:44 PM
    Ok Here is what I did. purchased a 8820 on ebay. Took sim card from Rzr and put in BB. phone worked, turned on data, Called ATT and said to block all data. no internet unless I used WIF, no gps without special program. Put sim back in Rzr, called ATT said I want Media Net plan for phone. got it set up and working $15.00/month. Put sim back in BB. Now have internet, gps and several other functions that need data plan to use. Ablew to tether. No problem.
    interesting..i presume there is of course no email/bbm support with that, but what else works or doesn't? can you use blackberry app store, what about in-app data connection like gmail app or google map?
    04-13-10 06:47 PM
    That is right No push email support. Can use the internet balckberry maps, google maps. Check gmail. I am not sure about apps as I do not use mine with any apps. but if they are internet based I do not see why note. Also i can tether to my netbook for internet access but do not do that very often because I want to watch my usage so there is no reason to look at it to closely. I know I can not use Pandora or some of those apps but again I have no need for them.
    04-16-10 01:38 PM
    Unless you need to be connected 24/7, having a data plan is not a must. You can still use your BB for email, search, weather, chat and more if your BB is Wi-Fi enabled.
    I have a post in my blog where I go over the ones I use with Wi-Fi and no data plan.
    Juan Riano Blog Archive Free Blackberry apps that run over Wi-Fi
    Last edited by jriano; 08-30-10 at 01:52 AM.
    05-16-10 08:58 PM
    Why does everybody keep asking why someone wants a Blackberry without a data plan? I think that is up to the individual user as they know what they want to do with their personnal phone. Just because one individual wants to have internet access maybe their is a reason another does not but still wants the functionality of a BB. Come on folks everybody uses their phones in different ways.

To prevent the phone from using data just turn the data function off on the phone. Then call your carrier and tell them to block out any data functionality on your account. Bingo no dat aand no access because of the restriction you put on your account.
    Last edited by Potstech; 05-17-10 at 08:29 AM.
    05-17-10 08:27 AM
    I guess what a lot of us are asking is..... Why do you want a Blackberry? What tasks are you looking for your phone to provide? There are lots of other PDA type phones out there that will offer you similar functionality right out of the box.

A lot of the functions of a Blackberry are sent to the device directly from the phone company in something called "service books". If you do not have the Blackberry data plan, you will not get these service books. Thus not all the functions will be available to you. Will it still work as a phone without a data plan? Yes. That's why the on-line reps are telling you that you don't HAVE to have a data plan. However, a portion of the phone functionality will not be available to you since those features are loaded via the service books which are downloaded only with the Blackberry specific data plan.

The bottom line is the power of the Blackberry comes from the associated data plan.

For a phone that has PDA type functionality without being forced to use data, you can look to a number of phones from Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, HTC, Palm & Sony. They will all take advantage of a data plan. However, the basic PDA functionality will still be there if you don't sign up for a data plan. If you are a Windows user, you may feel more comfortable with the features of a phone running Windows Mobile 5 or 6 in either a Pocket PC format or a SmartPhone format. If you want to stay on Verizon, then look at the Motorola Q or one of the Palm Treo windows versions. Both of these will synch up to your Outlook environment for contacts, calendars, notes etc.
    I have to have my data plan with US Cellular the jerks i have the new Curve 8530 with wireless and i ould think i wouldnt need data plane if i can find wifi hot spots right wrong i was told i need to carry the data plan with them.
    its 24.95 a month

boyd
    05-18-10 11:36 AM
    I have 3 blackberries in my family... one with data and two without.

The ones without data are on pay-as-you-go sims and they work great. Very nice for SMS, voice (of course) and multi-media. One of them is a 9000 that has wi-fi, so some data is available (browsing, etc.) many apps still work perfectly (anything that doesn't rely on wireless data) and the multi-media features are pretty good for music, podcasts, audio books, movies or whatever on the MicroSD. I think it's a good device... sure I'd rather have an iPhone but I won't spend $100 per month on a phone let alone 3.

The fantastic thing is that the pay as you go phones cost me a net total of about $150 annually INCLUDING unlimited text messages. On top of that the GPS on the 9000 still works (longitude and latitude, the bb maps software does not work though)

Now on my carrier, Rogers, I used to be able to add unlimited web browing for $7 monthly that included youtube. I believe this feature is now $10 (but we don't need that).

Obviously used Blackberries are cheap used and they are easy to unlock for free (older models) or using an unlocking service. There are also plently of hand-me downs out there as well... like my 8800 that I got free, but had to invest $3 in a new trackball. The last phone I unlocked cost me 99 cents on fleabay. The keyboard and tough build quality makes them great phone/text messaging devices.

Okay so I am cheap... :-)
    05-19-10 08:31 PM
    I have to chime in. I bought a new 8300 unlocked BB from E bay. Took it to AT&T and purchased an unlimited txt plan for 19.00 monthly. I can use the Web if I want but it charges my account for the amount of mb's I use. Since I'm rarely away from a pc I can use that to check my email and surf. I mainly use the BB to TXT and send MMS. Works good for me, plus Wal-mart is now offering straight-talk free unlimited everything for something like 49.00 with some pretty cool touch screen phone and excellent coverage. Just my 2 cents worth
    06-29-10 12:01 PM
    the billing system for most cell carriers will audit the system realize you don't have a data plan for your bb and just add one to your bill sending you a text msg informing you of the change. read the terms and conditions you have with your carrier!!!
    07-07-10 05:21 AM
    This happened to me Mobile Einstein...I am the only one in my fam with a BB. I have a BBPearl8110 on a family talk plan where we all share the unlimited text and mms package, no data plan no internet. Suddenly I lost the capability to MMS, but not SMS. I called At&t furious, and the rude guy explained that At&t came out with their mandatory data plan to purchase smartphones in sept 2009. A few months later they audited my account and realized I wasn't on a data plan and tried to force me to sign up for one, and when I asked for his supervisor, he put her on and she hit a few keys and finally turned back on my MMS. What a**holes. Seriously. Good luck to all purchasing new BBs who do not want data plans but need to add them to activate the smartphone. When I break out of this family plan I am switching carriers. And just an aside, unfortunately my 8110 does not get wifi so I will get a new BB at that time so I can get internet but will not get a data plan.
    08-03-10 12:26 PM
    Hi. Please help. I was given a blackberry from Sprint (unlocked) and am using it in Zambia with airtel zm (carrier). Thing is, it sends and recieves calls and sms bt won't send ussd codes, eg, *958* to check balance. And it doesn't go online. I checked with my carrier for a data plan but got no help there as they say they couldn't input it because the bb is locked or something. I think they just don't knw what to do. Any help? Thanx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-11 05:04 PM
    OK, here it is June of 2011 and I have similar questions.

My teenage daughters want BBs for basic phone and text services. I hate to pay $30 a month each for a data plan when they don't need it. They are most alway nears wifi anyhow. I have Verizon service.
    1) Can I do this with Verizon, if not, which carrier is cheapest for a 4 line family?
    2) Where is the best place to get Violet BlackBerry Curve 2 8530s?]
    3) Is that a decent phone?

Thanks,
    Rick
    06-03-11 03:37 PM
    1. No. Not with Verizon. Each BlackBerry MUST have a BlackBerry Data Plan. No idea on a plan like that. You likely will need to visit the website for each carrier. Note that TMobile pretty much is the only major carrier in the US that doesn't require a BlackBerry Data Plan for a BlackBerry. And even TMobile requires one if you purchase a subsidized device.

2. Define "best". And new or used?

3. It's a low end device, so don't be surprised at the build quality. Also, the camera doesn't have flash.
    06-03-11 08:44 PM
    yes.................
    08-18-11 04:12 AM
    exactly. a great phone that needs no data is the lg10000. but to get a bb without data is like putting an elevator in an outhouse. just dont belong.
    02-17-12 02:56 AM
    Verizon should work???
    02-22-12 10:33 AM
    My friend has a second line and offered to let me use it. She is with ATT and I have an old blackberry. She has a data plan and set the second line up with unlimited text however my concern is she will get charged for a data plan on the second line if I use the blackberry. I really only need the phone vm and text. If I can utilize email from wifi hotspot great tell me how. Dont want her to get charged for another data plan. Since the blackberry was used before with another number I cant set up vm. Is there a way to do this?
    04-03-12 08:44 PM
    The only thing I am confused about is why you would want this device if you don't want email or internet connectivity?
    05-11-12 07:29 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD