Long story short my company has issued me a BB and said I can use it for personal use as much as I want but..........no text messaging! I want to get rid of my personal phone so I do not have to carry two phones just so I can text with the other one.

My question is there a way to disable text messaging on my BB so people cannot text me, and I can not text them? I want to give my BB number to my friends and family but even though I tell them no texting, one of the bone heads will do it anyways and get me in trouble!!

Thanks for looking, Im new around here but excited to be apart of this resourceful community!

Andrew
    08-22-08 11:07 AM
    Welcome to CB!
    I'm not sure if you can do that.
    08-22-08 11:09 AM
    well i work for at&t and we can block text messaging on certain lines so that they cannot send or recieve any texts on the line so what i would suggest is to get in contact with your carrier to see if they can put a text restriction on the line..
    08-22-08 12:58 PM
    well i work for at&t and we can block text messaging on certain lines so that they cannot send or recieve any texts on the line so what i would suggest is to get in contact with your carrier to see if they can put a text restriction on the line..
    you work for at&t and have Verizon as a carrier?
    08-22-08 01:08 PM
    you work for at&t and have Verizon as a carrier?

I noticed that too. Says a lot about AT&T. LOL
    08-22-08 01:10 PM
    I noticed that too!

I would ask your boss to put a block on the line then.
    08-22-08 01:13 PM
    Long story short my company has issued me a BB and said I can use it for personal use as much as I want but..........no text messaging! I want to get rid of my personal phone so I do not have to carry two phones just so I can text with the other one.

My question is there a way to disable text messaging on my BB so people cannot text me, and I can not text them? I want to give my BB number to my friends and family but even though I tell them no texting, one of the bone heads will do it anyways and get me in trouble!!

Thanks for looking, Im new around here but excited to be apart of this resourceful community!

Andrew
    I believe you can go to 'options' then 'security' then 'firewall'...then change the status from disabled to enabled and check the boxes SMS and MMS. This should take care of that.
    08-22-08 01:29 PM
    yea i know it is kinda weird that i work for one and, and i have the other..once your inside and you get to see at&t for what it really is it really turns you away from their service...i love my verizon never had one issue with it..
    08-22-08 01:33 PM
    I believe you can go to 'options' then 'security' then 'firewall'...then change the status from disabled to enabled and check the boxes SMS and MMS. This should take care of that.

WoW! I am going to try this.
    08-22-08 01:34 PM
    yea, i know peeps who work for verizon but carry atnt phones.. they are all bad. and even third party service, while cheaper, still uses the big company equipment.
    still, i give them a fraction of the money most people do..
    01-05-11 10:19 PM
    thank you for mentioning the sms firewall. i have google voice installed so i can send free sms. the incomming sms get goto email, but also get sent to me. so i can just block them from me, and read sms via email...
    i advise anyone using a bb to look into google voice. it does NOT have free voip or calling like that, as much as it seems like it does. but for voicemail and sms it has allready saved me money on prepaid phone service, seeing as i have prepaid/no data
    01-05-11 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD