One of my users wanted to set his 8830 so that a password is needed to unlock the device, which I did under security options. However, he also wants it so that the device locks ONLY when he manually locks the keyboard himself, so that he doesn't have to keep unlocking it after the security timeout period has passed.

I checked the timeout settings, and it looks like the max you can do is 1 hour. Is it possible to set the 8830 so that a password is needed to unlock it, but not have it time out so that the user can only lock it manually?

Thanks!
    11-20-07 08:36 AM
    You can set it to only lock manually but cant use the password that way.
    11-20-07 08:44 AM
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. Thanks!
    11-21-07 01:55 PM
    I know this is not exactly what you would like, but this what I do:

Set the keyboard lock to the max amount of time ... which is only 1 hour. After the hour is up you will have to enter in the password no matter what.

To "lock" the keys just put the blackberry into standby mode by holding the mute button (on the top) for a second. While in standby mode, all the other keys will be locked. You can then press the mute button to come out of standby mode.

I am new to the forums and to using blackberries but this is the way I work around the keyboard lock "problem" and it is close to what I was looking for. If anyone else has another solution I would definitly like to know about it. Also if there are any downfalls or nuances to the standby mode that I should know, I would appreciate the information.
    12-30-07 06:15 PM
    Sorry to resurect this thread, but I searched and can't find anything. My problem is that my Security Timeout: 5 min. is the longest I can make it. Which drives me nuts, is there anyway to make it even 10mins? All I have for options is 5,2, & 1 min. This locks the device, not just the keyboard. ( I get Unlock, Phone Call, Emergency Call, and Cancel)

Thanks
    03-19-08 07:53 AM
    Sorry to resurect this thread, but I searched and can't find anything. My problem is that my Security Timeout: 5 min. is the longest I can make it. Which drives me nuts, is there anyway to make it even 10mins? All I have for options is 5,2, & 1 min. This locks the device, not just the keyboard. ( I get Unlock, Phone Call, Emergency Call, and Cancel)

Thanks

To set the screen lockout (security timeout) you need to go into:

Options ... Security Options ... General Settings ... Security Timeout

From here you should have the following options:

1 min, 2 min, 5 min, 10 min, 15 min, 20 min, 30 min, 1 hour

If you don't have these options then my guess is that you have a blackberry issued to you by the business that you work for and it has an IT policy which restricts the timeout options above 5 minutes. It may be possible that you have a second-hand blackberry and the previous owner had a security policy in place. I don't think wireless carriers restrict this setting but I could be wrong, not sure.

Hopefully this will help you out.
    03-19-08 11:17 AM
    It's a new phone. So it must fall to my IT security policy, which I work for the Govt and there will be a slim chance of getting them to fix it. I was hoping for some form of hack or maybe something I was missing.

Thanks for the help.
    03-19-08 12:10 PM
    Ah yes, than that explains it. Your blackberry is under control of your company IT policy and as far as I know of you can't break out of that policy and still be able to get your mail, etc. I'm assuming here that the only way you can get your mail is through the BES server setup by your IT peeps. If (doubtful) they have the means for you to retrieve your mail through a BIS server then you may have a long shot at breaking out of the IT policy and still retrieving your email. Perhaps someone else on the forum has more experience/information with this than I do but I would think your chances are slim to none. Sorry for the bad news.
    03-19-08 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD