I bought a second 8820 of ebay (my primary had water damage and didn't seem like it would recover). The second 8820 had 4.2 OS so I attempted to update it via BBDM, but quickly discovered DM didn't seem to recognize the phone. I assumed it was because DM was associated with my original 8820. So, I booted up Windows 7 beta, installed DM, ran the latest 4.5 OS, deleted the vendor.xml, and proceeded to update the second blackberry. However, half way through the process, after deleting everything and before loading the new software the process froze. I left it for hours and nothing happened.

I now have a BB which desktop manager recognizes as "pin unavailable" but the BB is dead and just blinks orange.

I have two questions. First, is it repairable? If so, second, how do I get BBDM in XP to unassociate with my old 8820 and be willing to associate with the second 8820?

I apologize if there is already a guide for idiots like me who have done this; I searched the forums and didn't find anything.

Thanks,

TKH
    03-25-09 04:07 PM
    03-26-09 06:55 PM
    Thanks, I've been trying the command line method but don't seem to be having any luck. It just loads the apploader GUI which then can't detect the berry. Does it matter which version of desktop manager or app loader is used?

Thanks
    03-26-09 07:01 PM
    It may seeing as you had OS 4.2 loaded on the device. Try downgrading to DM v4.2 SP2 and running the OS install.

Here is a link for download:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4
    03-26-09 07:14 PM
    Patrick, thanks for the suggestion. Turns out the thing just needed to sit in my desk drawer for a few days. I tried downgrading as you suggested, I tried original att software, I tried everything. Eventually I think it just needed time to sit. I have no idea why that helped.

Thanks for the help.

TKH
    03-31-09 07:00 PM
    I am glad that you figured out the problems. Happy to try and help!
    04-01-09 05:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD