07-06-12 09:46 PM
39 12
tools
    I keep getting this error, "device media processor is busy," when trying to open a MP3 attachment from YouMail. It's just a MP3 attachment, but I am never able to listen to the audio because I get this error. I can't seem to find any info about it. Any ideas?
    09-02-07 08:02 PM
    I had a similar issue this weekend. I remember playing a stored mp3 just fine, then changing my ringtone to a new mp3. After this, my alarm didn't sound and when I tried to play any mp3 or movie I would get the same error of Device Media Processor Is Busy. I powered down the phone and checked again and still got the same error. I ended up pulling the battery and then resetting the phone. And now everything works again. I can only imagine is is some kind of memory leak issue that is keeping the media player in process memory.
    09-04-07 09:42 AM
    How did you reset the phone? Did you loose the data?
    09-04-07 09:44 AM
    I didn't loose any data. It actually fixed another issue I was having with my Texas Hold'em King 2 game running is SUPER TURBO mode for some reason. But All I did was pull the battery and then turn the phone back on. It verified the software security and then you are off and running again. This should NOT be a way to fix your phone. There should be a real fix for this software wise. Hopefully RIM will find a cure. I just need to figure out what things to do to get it to repeat the problem again.
    09-04-07 09:51 AM
    I just tried a battery pull and I still get the same error ("Device media processor is busy")

Audio info:
    Size: 49kb
    Channels: 2
    Avg bytes per second: 8000
    Duration: 0:5
    Samples per second: 32000
    Audio format: MPEG3

The extension is .mp3
    09-04-07 09:57 AM
    I think I've found a partial cause for this problem. ID3 tags. I had some mp3s that I had transfered to my BB that for some reason the BB didn't read the ID3 tags correctly and they showed up as not having the tags. I would set my rings to one of these mp3s and the ringer would not work. I would then change to an mp3 that the ID3 tag read correctly and the ringer worked fine. So I deleted the malfunctioning mp3s and the database file. I then transfered them to the BB again and this time the BB read the tags correctly and would play them as a ringer.

However earlier when I was troubleshooting, The media player would play the mp3s that had malfunctioning ID3 tags just fine. I have yet to get my BB to give me the same error again however.
    09-04-07 11:32 AM
    Hmmm...that's very interesting. Does it require the tags? The mp3 files I am trying to open are from emails (voicemails) from YouMail. They open fine on my computer though.
    09-04-07 11:35 AM
    see the media player doesn't require the tags to play them, because the mp3s I had that didn't read correctly, played fine. Infact it was one of these mp3s that I had set as my ringtone for a while and was wondering why I was missing phone calls. I just figured out that they won't play as the ringtone if the id3 tag isn't there. weird.
    09-04-07 11:43 AM
    has anyone figured out root cause or a workaround for files that generate this error? i have this too from time to time. id3 tags don't seem to be the cause
    11-24-07 06:33 PM
    All,
    One person found a fix that resolved this error: His media card was full. When he recorded videos, he got no warning there wasn't space to save it. Apparently, a corrupt file got saved anyway. When he played the corrupt file, he got the "device media processor is busy" error message. For the full story, see comments #28-31 at blackberry8130.wordpress.com/user-guide/.
    Kelly Carter
    03-20-08 12:37 AM
    I had the same problem with my Storm. Also it did not not notify me on my calendar events and changed my alerts for e-mail and text messages. I reset the device by removing the battery and its working fine now. Very strange problem.
    01-31-09 05:39 PM
    I was getting the same message device media processor busy until i removed music from the blackberry/music folder on my sd card and just put music on card not using any folders just highlighted sd card and copied file on it so far so good no problems at all since i did that someone let me know if it worked for them
    07-28-09 04:48 PM
    I've been having the same problem. It happens at least once daily and my phone just doesn't ring. Even if I change the ringtone to the classic one or others that originally came on the 8830, so frustrating missing every call!
    07-28-09 06:08 PM
    Im having same issue.... im wondering if its not because of answering when vibrating when using vibrate+ring? just a theory but it seems something is holding the media players thread open...

I just turned my profile to LOUD and changed each ringer to TONE ONLY even when in holster.. now im going to reset (battery out) my phone... and see if the issue re-occurs..

need a fix for this.... Even your alarm wont work once 'hung'
    08-03-09 11:51 AM
    This is becoming an ever growing issue..

I too am having this problem on my 8830. I haven't moved the files out of the folder yet, but I will try that next. I actually reformatted ( COMPLETELY yes using javaloader ) to see if it was something I did somehow. No, It seemed to get a little better but I was mistaken, All I have to do is play a song, stop it, close out to home screen open teh browser, or any thing else, close it adn go back to turn music back on and it's shot.
    08-15-09 10:46 AM
    I think I'm going to have to give up my 8830 as it won't even ring anymore so I'm losing lots of phone calls
    11-11-09 10:24 PM
    I'm having this problem too, on an 8330. Very annoying. I usually listen to podcasts and about half the time when I switch from one to another I need to reboot the phone. Sometimes I need to reboot when I'm trying to resume after pausing too.

I'm not sure if its related but I often end up with calendar appointments that stop appearing after being snoozed a few times too. I use two different calendars (one for recurring appointments that I don't want to see in agenda view) and sometimes one calendar stops showing reminders until a reboot.

It's a shame that such basic features work so poorly. Granted, I do not know how to design and build an MP3 player from the ground up but what I do know is that there are hundreds of different models on the market for cheap. I expected this phone to be competitive with them. It's not.
    11-13-09 05:21 PM
    This is a known issue. See the .175 findings thread for details.
    11-16-09 08:05 AM
    I think I'm going to have to give up my 8830 as it won't even ring anymore so I'm losing lots of phone calls
    You can fix this with a battery pull, or by downgrading to OS 4.5.0.135 which does not have this bug. There may also be another work around. See the .175 findings thread for details.
    11-16-09 08:06 AM
    Try running a hybrid. I've NEVER had this error for the life of my 8830.
    11-16-09 08:47 AM
    I just tested the workaround, it works great. Basically when ever this happens, start voice dialing, allow it to initialize, then exit and everything should be back to normal.
    11-16-09 10:44 AM
    I just tested the workaround, it works great. Basically when ever this happens, start voice dialing, allow it to initialize, then exit and everything should be back to normal.
    Thanks for this. I had this issue pop up this morning, did a quick search, found this post and now my phone makes noises again. Very helpful.

Still, this is not really a solution. I surely don't want to have to check my phone to make sure it's going to work like it's supposed to every time I set it down. Anyone know if a patch is being worked on for this?

Thanks again for the workaround, though. It's certainly better than battery pulling.

veg
    12-07-09 11:35 AM
    Just remove voice dialing if you don't use it and you'll never have the problem.
    12-07-09 02:16 PM
    Hi Gang. I'm new here. I've just had this problem and the workaround is working so far. Just to possibly help determine the cause, my 8330 did it shortly after doing a customize ringtone for one of my contacts. Before then, I used one of the preloaded ringtones for all of my incoming calls.

Please, let me know if there's any more info that could be helpful in finding the problem.
    12-14-09 09:50 PM
    Summary:
    My 8330 developed this problem. I googled. I read.

And I fixed it. But this fix is anecdotal--meaning it's not a knock down solution, because the problem has not one cause-but a possible multiplicity of causes.

Detail:
    My 8330 developed this problem immediately after, using XP Explorer to do some folder and file maintenance on the 8gb aftermarket mini sd card, I:
    --copied some new albums into the Blackberry/Music folder
    --moved some albums into different folders
    --deleted some empty folders

There afer, I got the error when either I played an album, or a playlist.

Fix attempts that did not work:
    --From within XP Pro, Command line, Chkdsk /f
    --From with XP Pro Explorer, Tools, Fix errors

What did work:
    --On the device, from within Music Player, deleted my one playlist

Voila. Fixed.

Wrap up:
    I suspect that this error is an all purpose OS error trap for a multitude of errors. So one fix won't apply to every one. There are likely a multitude of 'fixes'.

In my case, the Media Player probably was incapable of adapting to the new folder structure implemented outside its ownership.

Cheers to all.
    01-23-10 05:58 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD