Hi guys,
    I was wondering if there is a way to know if you got a refurbished phone or a new one when you call the insurance company for a replacement. My LCD screen is acting out and I'm thinking in replacing it. Everytime I press the trackball or the Escape key, a a color distorting ripple appears. It the same effect of pressing your finger in an LCD monitor.

Thanks in advance!
    12-02-07 10:40 PM
    Pretty sure with most of them you get a new phone. You have to meet all their criteria and pay your deductible though.
    12-02-07 11:06 PM
    Not too sure about that. I know the insurance provider verizon was using got nailed with a class action lawsuit for providing refurbished phones instead of new ones. They don't even give you a new battery?!
    12-03-07 04:50 PM
    Not too sure about that. I know the insurance provider verizon was using got nailed with a class action lawsuit for providing refurbished phones instead of new ones. They don't even give you a new battery?!
    I've had two phones replace via Asurion through Verizon and both times I got NIB phones.
    12-04-07 12:18 AM
    I know i am waiting on a replacement phone and when i called Alltel, they said it was going to be a refurb! They said there is no way to tell if it's new or not. I am assuming once you activate the phone or at least turn it on, you would be able to go and see how many minutes were previously on the phone.
    Before I worked for an insurance company up in PA for cell phones and we had to have a little sticking on the back of the phone by the bar code that indicated that it was a refurb.
    Also you'll have to check your contract but I don't believe your carrier has to provide you with a "new" phone.

Hope that helps!
    12-04-07 10:12 AM
    I use Verizon, and when I had used the treo 650 (i went through 4, hence the switch to BB) every replacement they gave me was a refurbished phone.
    12-04-07 12:32 PM
    I also recieved a refurbished 8830 from Alltel. The guy at the store said thats what they had to give me since It was passed 30days and could not be considered DOA.
    12-04-07 12:39 PM
    Any insurace claim and swap outs that come after 30 day window will be refurbs. These will generally be NIB-looking, but they are definatly referbs. They replace everything that can be seen or worn out on the phone, but the phone is definatly a referb.
    12-04-07 12:43 PM
    also i did notice that my refurb had a green dot (sticker) right in the battery compartment and did not come in a blackberry packaging. Maybe that is an indicator.
    12-04-07 12:45 PM
    Working for Sprint, Blackberrys are the only device that come shipped from Sprint's depot, not there main warehouse in KY. The only people that can tell if they are truly refurbs are the people at RIM, because every device that doesn't come with all original packaging(case, charger, pretty box, data cable, manual that nobody reads) will have a recon sku. Anytime we order Nextel/Sprint BB they come overnight from FedEx, and never have recon stickers or paperwork like all the other phones we order do. Not sure how other companies do it though!
    12-06-07 11:08 PM
    This discussion is a bit confusing in that there is a difference when the replacement is from the service provider versus an insurance company (which a lot of folks don't realize is not the service provider). I believe the service providers mostly provide refurbished units because they can get away with it. The insurance providers as a result of previous law suits should be providing new phones.
    12-07-07 02:03 PM
    Any insurace claim and swap outs that come after 30 day window will be refurbs. These will generally be NIB-looking, but they are definatly referbs. They replace everything that can be seen or worn out on the phone, but the phone is definatly a referb.

I'm getting a replacement (due to garbage battery life, hard reset didn't work.. ) from Bell any day now and I believe it will be a refurbished handset and I purchased an insurance/extended warranty with my 8830. I agree with what JRS said, within 30 days of purchase, the service provider will swap with NIB no questions, after that chances are it will be a refurbished handset. (That's Bell's policy, of course it could differ from provider to provider)
    12-07-07 10:12 PM
    Just got my replacement 8830 and I've got to say, like everyone has stated, you wouldn't know the difference and to be perfectly honest, I think the refurbished unit is even better than my original one. The one major difference between my original 8830 and the replacement 8830 was the plastic/housing. With my original, it was more of a shiny plastic and would scratch real easily, but with the replacement, it was a "dull" plastic sort to speak which is almost more scratch resistant. Another "improvement" were the buttons. They felt more "solid" (you knew that you were actually pressing the keys; I didn't type much with my original, so I don't think I wore out the keys...). I also wrote in another post that the performance of the 8830 was also improved, possibly due to a OS upgrade? I'm glad to say that I'm definately pleased with my new replacement.
    12-14-07 04:21 AM
    I have a brand new phone from Verizon's Insurance company. Came with a battery and a charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-07 07:57 AM
    Some Verizon stores (corporate stores) keep an active stock of 8830 fru units (field replacement units) and will do warranty exchanges in store if authorized by the data team. The 8830 is the only Blackberry we keep in stock as a fru unit in our store, because of how popular it is and because of how many need replacing. Haven't seen any problems with the 8130 yet though. I love my 8830, so hopefully it stays running smooth! As a side note, the refurb Blackberries come straight from RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-07 02:26 PM
    does the refurb phone come in the same original packaging as a NIB one?with the data cable, leather holster and charger or is it just the phone and a charger?
    09-24-08 08:56 AM
    I had a similar problem to yours with my Verizon 8830. The distortion on the screen is caused by water damage. My phone got wet 5 months ago, but only started to act up two weeks ago. There are strips on both the phone and batterey that turn completely red in the pressence of water damage.

The good news is, as long as you have insurance, they will send you a brand new phone. However, there is a $50 deductable.

There is a secondary benefit. They do not require you to send back anything other than the phone. They will send you a new batterey, charger, and connecting cable, and case all in the new box and you are still able to keep your old ones.
    09-24-08 09:15 AM
    I lost my 8830 blackberry and had it replaced through Verizon insurance, which is actually a 3rd party called Asurion with a $50 deductible. I think they do the insurance for most carriers. I initially recieved a refurbished phone in an Asurion box. I knew it was refurbished because on the back behind the battery where the serial number is it said "remanufactured". The speaker in it didn't work right so I sent it back and I was SHOCKED when they offered to send me a brand new phone, they even asked me what color I wanted. And yeah it was NIB...so it's definitely possible to get a new phone through Asurion, it just depends on who you talk to.
    09-25-08 05:53 PM
    This is for my tour 9630

Go to Options and then About.

it's in the first paragraph at the end. It will say Refurbished: N or Y
    02-11-10 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD