Hi everyone,

My computer got a virus and I had to reset my hard drive, losing all of my programs in the process. I am trying to re-install my software for blackberry so that I can sync my calender, to do list, etc. I think this is called desktop manager. I have been able to download and use VZaccessmanager, but I keep downloading what I think is desktop manager and installing it but it never gets installed. I click "finish" on the installation and then on my desktop it still has the install icon (not the actual program). Do I need a disk or something to get this on my computer? Or is there a link or something I should be going to to get this program? What is going on? Thanks!
    11-18-08 09:32 PM
    Did you check the programs in the start menu?
    11-18-08 09:36 PM
    yeah i did.... it is not there. it is like i never downloaded/installed it.
    11-18-08 09:38 PM
    What is the file name of the file you are using to install? Are there any error messages? What OS do you have on your PC (XP/Vista)?
    11-18-08 09:53 PM
    Sounds like the perfect job for Nick Burns. lol

http://www.talkingbob.com/videos/nick_burns_anisCE.wmv
    11-18-08 11:49 PM
    I have XP, and the name of the file I am downloading is:
    8830EFS_PBr4[1].2.2_rel364_PL3.0.0.84_A4.2.2.196

There are no error messages... it says click "finish" as though the program has been installed, but when I do there is still nothing installed. I just have the link on my desktop for the setup.
    11-19-08 10:52 AM
    Try rebooting your computer. Maybe you have software that is blocking the installation? It's straight forward installing DM like most anything else. The lack of any error message doesn't help point out that there is any issue at all.

Go to the control panel, and add/remove programs. Do you see desktop manager listed?
    11-19-08 12:53 PM
    Make sure your AVS is off too. Sometimes this can create the dl error.
    11-19-08 01:26 PM
    I have XP, and the name of the file I am downloading is:
    8830EFS_PBr4[1].2.2_rel364_PL3.0.0.84_A4.2.2.196

There are no error messages... it says click "finish" as though the program has been installed, but when I do there is still nothing installed. I just have the link on my desktop for the setup.

Dear, dear...

What you downloaded is actually the BlackBerry DEVICE software. Also known as the Operating System (what appears to be version 4.2.2 for your device).
    And, actually, you did install it. All it does is create some file folders in your local disk, most probably in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion". These files contain the BB Operating System, which can be uploaded to the device with the DESKTOP Software.

There are some benefits in updating your device Operating System, just as in upgrading from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. In the case of the Curve, you had a still picture camera only with OS 4.2, but with the new OS 4.5, you get to use the same hardware (the actual camera), and you get to record videos too!

Now, from what I understand, you really need the Blackberry DESKTOP software. When you dowload the install file, it should be named like "470_b050_english_nomediamanager.exe".

By the way, I just (1 hour ago) downloaded version 4.7 and installed it. It's been out for like a week now. Previous version was 4.6, of course, but I don't see a difference.

Download it by going to the Blackberry site, then the Support section and then Downloads.
    In the Available Software list, click for the text link to download "BlackBerry Device Software and BlackBerry Desktop Software".
    In the next page, click on the "Download BlackBerry Device and Desktop Software" text link.
    You will see a box that says "---Please select a product---". This box lets you select what you want to dowload... this is probably where you put your device model and got your file. Instead, select the third item, which says "BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.7" (or the latest one you may find).

Note: I don't know about your particular device, but some devices can only work with certain Desktop Software. Very old BB devices don't work with any Desktop Software above v2.1 or something like that.

Go through the rest of the process to download the file and then install it.

After you've installed it, because you already installed the BB OS, you will be able to see the OS components or modules in the Desktop software. You will then be able to select via clearing a checkbox if you want some modules to NOT install in your BB or if you want to install them, leave the boxes checked.
    This is useful, because you can uncheck modules that you don't use, and thus SAVE PRECIOUS BB DEVICE MEMORY!

Regards,

RM
    11-19-08 03:04 PM
    Crap, can't believe I overlooked that. I must be off my mark today. At least I was on right track.
    11-19-08 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD