I downloaded the lastest 8800 os from att and desktop manager can't find it. Is there a directory to many locate it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 07:52 PM
    Are you on att? If not you need to do the following.

Delete vendor.xml file.
    It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader

Then, from that same directory, run the loader.exe. If your phone is att, then try and just run the loader.exe from the above directory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-09 08:24 PM
    Hi,

I had the same issue this week, but with o2 UK OS. I have purchased a used 8800 which was an Orange UK model but is unlocked. When I downloaded the o2 software, which is the carrier my contract is with, nothing came up for install on DM. I downgraded to DM 4.6 but still nothing. I then removed Vendor.xml and on reconnection the update fired up and I installed. So I have the latest o2 update to the os now running on the BB.

All seems to be working ok except that I get prompted to install an upgrade to the core applications every time I connect the BB and when proceding nothing gets found and installed. Other than that it works fine.

Can any one advise why I had to remove Vedor.xml from the o2 software when in fact I have a contract with o2 - is it because the BB is a Orange phone albeit unlocked? My understanding is that I should only need to do this if its an OS upgrade from a carrier other than the one I have a contract with.

Thanks.
    Last edited by aeronk; 05-09-09 at 01:31 AM.
    05-09-09 01:26 AM
    Thats usually the key that makes DM recognize an OS- removing/deleting the vendor.xml
    05-09-09 01:31 AM
    Thats usually the key that makes DM recognize an OS- removing/deleting the vendor.xml
    Scandalex, yes thanks, I understand that, but read here on the forum that in order to install an OS from a carrier other than your own you must remove the vendor.xml file. However I am puzzled why I had to do this when the OS is from my carrier.

I am new to BB so maybe I did something wrong.
    05-09-09 02:07 AM
    Scandalex, yes thanks, I understand that, but read here on the forum that in order to install an OS from a carrier other than your own you must remove the vendor.xml file. However I am puzzled why I had to do this when the OS is from my carrier.

I am new to BB so maybe I did something wrong.
    More times that not, even though it's from your own carrier, DM doesn't recognize that you want to upgrade the OS.

I upgraded my OS last week and I'm pretty savvy with what I am doing. DM wouldn't budge until I removed the vendor.xml- makes no sense, but since I've gone through that before, I didn't trip.

As far as DM was concerned, my OS didn't need to be upgraded.
    05-09-09 02:13 AM
    fair enough, maybe its just one of those little problems that happens sometimes.

I will be upgrading in a few months probably to the curve 8900 from o2 so will see what happens when the phone and software is from the same carrier - thats assuming there will be a need to upgrade the OS.

Anyway all is working well with the phone so not a big issue just wondered if I had done something wrong as I am just starting to learn with the BB and must say that so far its a better system than Windows Mobile that I have used for the past few years (at lest it is for me anyway!)

Thanks for responding
    05-09-09 03:10 AM
    I love the user interface on my windows mobile phone. The touch screen is a huge benefit and the screen resolution on my HTC device is excellent. I am excited to see what new devices and applications are released with windows mobile 6.5.
    05-20-09 07:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD