Hi,

For my BlackBerry 8830 here is the current version I am at:

v4.2.2.176 (Platform 3.0.0.76)
    Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.4.47

As for my BlackBerry Desktop Manager I am at:

Version 4.2.2.12 [Mar 19 2007]

I think I am a little out of date for both. Where exactly on the BlackBerry website would I go to obtain the correct updates for both? Which one(s) would I have to download (what are the files exactly called) just so I don't download the wrong ones or ones that are unneeded?

- thanks
    10-21-08 02:31 PM
    The latest official OS release for the 8830 is 4.2.2.196. The latest DTM is 4.6. You can download both from here: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

OS 4.2.2.196 is not a big change. It adds support for 8GB media cards. DTM 4.6 is a very large change over what you're running. If you're synching with an old Outlook, it may not work.
    Last edited by JeffH; 10-21-08 at 10:32 PM. Reason: more info on the versions
    10-21-08 10:31 PM
    The latest official OS release for the 8830 is 4.2.2.196. The latest DTM is 4.6. You can download both from here: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

OS 4.2.2.196 is not a big change. It adds support for 8GB media cards. DTM 4.6 is a very large change over what you're running. If you're synching with an old Outlook, it may not work.
    Hi,

I clicked on the link that was provided, and it brought me to a page with a list of service providers. I am with Telus Mobility so, I selected that one, the next page that I am brought to asks me to select a product. I choose my BlackBerry 8830 WE, and click next. Here are the software upgrades it shows me:

Software For BlackBerry� 8830 World Edition smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.322 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.322
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.176
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.76
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel322_PL3.0.0.76_A4.2.2.176_Telu s_Mobility.exe
    * File size: 70.18MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.123 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.240
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.2.2.123
    * Software Platform: 3.0.0.64
    * File name: 8830EFS_PBr4.2.2_rel240_PL3.0.0.64_A4.2.2.123_Telu s Mobility.exe
    * File size: 37.0 MB

Aren't these software updates out of date? How would I obtain the updates that you were speaking of?

-thanks
    11-09-08 02:32 AM
    The Verizon site requires a Verizon phone number to download. I don't know if Sprint requires a Sprint number. You could try that. You could also check other other CDMA carriers such as Alltel and USCellular. If you can find a site that allows you to download, you can install the software after you delete the vendor.xml file on your pc. There are a couple of threads that describe the process.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-08 09:06 AM
    JeffH, a quick question, I am running .176 also. I am on a BES. If I upgrade will I have to get reactivated on the BES? Thanks
    11-09-08 09:36 AM
    JeffH, a quick question, I am running .176 also. I am on a BES. If I upgrade will I have to get reactivated on the BES? Thanks
    It depends. If you perform the upgrade while connected to a PC that's inside the firewall, you won't have to reactivate. If you perform the upgrade while disconnected, you will have to reactivate. It's a good idea to clear your actions with the IT dep't in advance, so they're ready to reactivate you if needed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-08 10:08 AM
    Hi,

What should I do then in order to obtain those updates that I need?

-thanks
    11-10-08 11:06 PM
    Did you try the sites I suggested? If you did and they won't allow you to download without a valid phone number, then you might try googling 4.2.2.196 and see if you find a source. There's nothing illegal in what you're trying to do, but the carriers are under no obligation to give a download to someone who is not one of their users.

Before you stress too much about it, compare the features of 4.2.2.176 and 4.2.2.196. There is not that much of a difference, except for support for 8GB Media cards. I'm attaching the Verizon Release Notes for 176 and 196 so you can compare them for yourself.
    11-10-08 11:19 PM
    Hi,

What about the software downloads on this page? Would I upgrade from this page or no?

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22

Or would I only obtain an upgrade from my service provider that being Telus Mobility?
    12-03-08 01:47 PM
    Google "4.5.0.101" for the latest version.
    12-03-08 07:13 PM
    JeffH,

A general question for you in this context: I have an 8830 that is currently running v4.2.2.148. Frankly, it works basically fine for me and my needs domestically and internationally. I had been thinking of upgrading this summer when my 2-year contract expires, but from what I have read here and heard elsewhere (such as last week's very harsh review in the NY Times) it sounds like for the purposes I use my Blackberry for there is really no reason to trade it for the new models unless there is something deficient or broken about it. Is that the right analysis?

Thanks.
    12-04-08 04:26 PM
    Since you're not upgrading until the summer, you have plenty of time to make an informed decision. By then, RIM will have worked out the 1.0 issues with the Storm, and may even have a World Phone with a physical keyboard as a direct replacement for the 8830. At least, I hope so. I'm due for a replacement in the fall. To me, having a physical keyboard outweighs the big screen of the Storm. If the touch screen isn't a problem for you, then the Storm will be worth considering. In your shoes, I wouldn't worry about the reviews right now, good or bad. If they're not good 6-8 months from now, that's another story.

The 8830 will certainly be dropped from the product line if RIM introduces a direct replacement. Already, there are indications that it may not get an official OS 4.5 release. So if the new features of OS 4.5 are important to you, you may want to upgrade. And as of today, Verizon has unlocked the internal GPS in their phones running OS 4.5, so you've got another reason to want the latest OS.
    12-04-08 07:31 PM
    Thanks a lot - I will see how things turn out. It certainly can be frustrating when the units are made out as fancy things that do all kinds of things that frankly, most of us business users don't really need.
    12-05-08 08:30 AM
    The 8830 will certainly be dropped from the product line if RIM introduces a direct replacement. Already, there are indications that it may not get an official OS 4.5 release. So if the new features of OS 4.5 are important to you, you may want to upgrade. And as of today, Verizon has unlocked the internal GPS in their phones running OS 4.5, so you've got another reason to want the latest OS.

Jeff, I know that none of us knows the answer, but any guesses as to why VZW doesn't seem to be doing any OS upgrades for the 8830WE while they are still issuing OS upgrades for the current VZW Curve? I think both are due to be replaced at some point in 2009.

I'm assuming that it's because the current VZW Curve hasn't been available on VZW as long as the 8830. However, it sure would be nice to have an OS upgrade so we can use Documents to Go and have unlocked GPS for BBMaps, especially since I would guess that the majority of 8830 owners use it, at least partially, for business.

I know that I would love to get Documents to Go, but I don't want to upgrade the OS until VZW releases its official upgrade (I changed the housing and keyboard on my 8830, but upgrading the OS to something not "Verizon approved" makes me nervous---go figure ).
    12-05-08 02:57 PM
    I suspect that's a RIM decision, not Verizon's. After all, there's no 4.5 from any other CDMA carrier either. There was a steady stream of Betas for a while, but I haven't seen a new one in a couple of weeks, and several folks said it was not as good as its predecessor. I haven't used any of them, so I can't say.

I expect, but don't know, that RIM might release 4.5 for the 8830 and stop there, just to get all the 8xxx devices to 4.5. But that could just be wishful thinking. I don't have any insider information.

Once your warranty has expired and after the 8830 is no longer supported by Verizon, there's little to lose by installing a beta OS. RIM or Verizon may assume that the people that really want it and know how will do that, and just stop at 4.2.2.196.

We'll see.
    12-05-08 03:11 PM
    My question still has not been really answered. I've gotten a couple of conflicting responses which has me in confusion. Where on the BlackBerry website exactly would I find the correct update(s) for Telus? This is my service provider.

-thanks
    12-17-08 06:43 PM
    The only conflicting information you've gotten is one person pointed you to the unofficial beta release of OS4.5. If you want to run a beta OS, he's told you how to find it. I pointed you to the correct link for the latest official OS. For your carrier that appears to be 4.2.2.176. Sprint and Verizon (and maybe others) are at 4.2.2.196. I gave you the differences in a previous post. They are minor. If you choose to use the Beta OS4.5, you will see a very large increase in capability compared to 4.2.2.176 or 4.2.2.196.
    12-17-08 06:54 PM
    I am also running the latest approved release. I use a hosted exchange service along with BIS. Will there be any issues with the BES side by using the BETA? Any folks seen any issues with the International side of the unit with the BETA?

Verizon's and Rim's lack of communication on the issue is pretty lame and bad business practice. I would prefer to know that an upgrade may/may not be coming. The unit is great, far better than what I had before (Treo 700w), but there are features that the BETA appears to have that would be nice to be able to utilize, but I really don't want to have to spend hours troubleshooting issues; something I did with the previous phone. It was a great time waster!

One other question: are there third party apps that do not run in the new OS?
    12-18-08 10:03 AM
    I am also running the latest approved release. I use a hosted exchange service along with BIS. Will there be any issues with the BES side by using the BETA? Any folks seen any issues with the International side of the unit with the BETA?

Verizon's and Rim's lack of communication on the issue is pretty lame and bad business practice. I would prefer to know that an upgrade may/may not be coming. The unit is great, far better than what I had before (Treo 700w), but there are features that the BETA appears to have that would be nice to be able to utilize, but I really don't want to have to spend hours troubleshooting issues; something I did with the previous phone. It was a great time waster!

One other question: are there third party apps that do not run in the new OS?
    One issue is that your BES has to be at version 4.1 or higher to provide the HTML email capability. There's no way for a user to determine the BES version; you have to ask the BES Admin. But you need to talk to him/her anyway, to make sure there are no other issues to worry about. Better to do that up front than have to beg him to fix a device you broke while installing unauthorized software!
    12-18-08 10:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD