Hey guys I am looking at getting a BB 8830 to replace my pearl for a couple reasons:

Bigger
    Ability to talk worldwide

Here are my questions:

I have US Cellular as my SP, how exactely does the world wide use work? I dont need any specifics on pricing but do you have to pay more when you are out of the country? I am planning on traveling to Kenya for a few months so this is important to me

Also does this have an MP3 player? I thought it did but I read a review and it said it cannot play music?

Thanks for the help guys!
    10-28-08 12:06 AM
    It just has a radio in it that operates on european gsm frequencies and has a SIM card slot. What you would do is buy a sim card from a carrier wherever you are and use that in the phone.

Yes it can play mp3s, but you will want a media card to store them on.
    10-28-08 12:10 AM
    Also does this have an MP3 player? I thought it did but I read a review and it said it cannot play music?
    Yes, a pretty good MP3 player. With 4.2.2.x OS you can have a microSDHC card up to 4GB. If you upgrade to the beta 4.5.0.77 OS, you can support an 8GB card (this is what I have) which works great!

That is with a Sprint 8830, I'm assuming that yours will work the same way...

/BD
    10-28-08 12:14 AM
    It just has a radio in it that operates on european gsm frequencies and has a SIM card slot. What you would do is buy a sim card from a carrier wherever you are and use that in the phone.

Yes it can play mp3s, but you will want a media card to store them on.
    Thanks for the help! Ya I went to Kenya last summer and I had to buy a cell phone/sim card over there because my Razr did not have the SIM slot. So if that is the case that I can just put the sim in it that would be fantastic. And I got an 8 GB micro SD with a bunch of songs from my pearl I just wanted to make sure they would play on the 8830. Thanks again for the help!
    10-28-08 12:15 AM
    If you have OS 4.2.2.196 you can use the full 8gb on your card. That's the only 4.2 version that supports 8gb. It's also the latest official release.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-08 12:20 AM
    How do I get the updated version? I am sure it is a total duh answer but Im not really sure where to get it from. Thanks
    10-28-08 12:27 AM
    You should check to make sure that the 8830 operates on frequencies that are used wherever you will be going.
    10-28-08 12:29 AM
    How do I get the updated version? I am sure it is a total duh answer but Im not really sure where to get it from. Thanks
    Choose your carrier from the choices on this page, then follow the links: BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    10-28-08 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD