Please stay with me, apologies for my soon to be apparently lack of technical skill:

I recently got a used 8800 from a friend...I found it fine and dandy and everything was going just fine until I installed Desktop Manager and thought SURE WHY NOT to the upgrades that it suggested for me. The horror...

Currently the blackberry is on the whole restart cycle that all the kids are talking about on here: hour glass, tmobile uk logo, black screen, flashy red light, repeat. If I hold down the power button when it gets to the tmobile logo it shuts off normally, then the next time I turn it on it loads all the way to the OS which I am able to use for a short amount of time until the whole rebooting cycle starts again. This usually happens for no reason when I am doing nothing but accessing my photos folder with media manager will make it start rebooting instantly, it has also done this both times I tried to make calls. Notably, without the micro sd card in, the media manager thing doesn't cause it to reboot. it may not reboot with the sd card in. could something be wrong with the card??

Anyhow I get from this forum that this has to do with the upgrade to os 4.5. I tried the whole JL_Cmdr total wipe, total reinstall of the OS which was successful but did not fix the problem. I am really not sure what to try next. I am getting that I should try putting an older OS back on the phone but the tmobile UK site only has 4.5 for the 8800, I don't know where to get the other OS! Links?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry for my dumb-ocity.

-Donna
    05-12-09 03:01 PM
    Okay, it def. does not reboot over and over if I take the SD card out if that helps...
    05-12-09 03:14 PM
    What size memory card are you using and what OS does your phone have on it?

If you can, try putting a different memory card into the phone and see what happens. The only major incompatibility issues with memory cards and OSs really had to do with using memory cards over 4gb with OSs below 4.5 (e.g. you couldn't use 6, 8, or 16gb card with any of the 4.2 OSs, but 4.5 and above supports those larger size cards).

It is very possible that the memory card is just plain bad/corrupted, in which case you may just have to get another one, especially if the errors on your current one can't be fixed...really bad news is you may lose the data on the card...but at least your phone will work, right?
    05-12-09 04:49 PM
    The memory card is not corrupt. It has to be reformatted with the 4.5 OS.

Copy everything off it to your computer (with a card reader). Put it back in the phone and format it. Copy everything back onto the card EXCEPT all of the files that end in .dat - that's your issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-09 08:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD