Hi, I am a college student that is considering the 8820. I realize this isn't the newest blackberry. But its in my price range, and it has WiFi, which is really important. I was wondering if this was a smart choice. I have no plan on getting the BB data plan. Mainly because usually when I need the internet I am at school or at home where I have wireless access. So what is your opinion is this a smart choice. I have had the curve before, but ended up having to trade it for a tilt because it wasn't working correctly. I like to keep my schedule and my homework assignment in my phone so that i dont have to carry around a planner with me. Also i cant jot down quick notes that i need to remember for later. Does this phone sound right for me, or is there a better phone out there for me?

Thanks
    01-23-09 03:11 PM
    I think this phone would be perfect for you if you don't mind that it doesn't have a camera. Other than that, the wifi works great, the browser is good (not html) but overall its a good solid blackberry.
    01-23-09 03:34 PM
    Also read this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f33/882...o-data-118503/

Because I have a data plan with my bb, I don't know if the wifi really works w/o it.
    01-23-09 03:39 PM
    Thanks. I dont really need the camera because I always have my digital camera with me.
    01-23-09 04:02 PM
    I'm a student as well and if you can live without the camera, it's a great choice. I got mine because I had no data plan and was interested in the Wi-Fi (which worked great on AT&T) and the only reason I'm looking into trading it is I now have data and miss the camera. The grass is always greener on the other side, I suppose.
    01-23-09 11:48 PM
    Greetings and welcome to Crackberry! I would recommend, based on what you have told us, that you get the 8820. If you are on AT&T, all the new 8820 phones are shipping with the 4.5 OS, so you will have the HTML browser. If you are buying one with the 4.2 OS, you can upgrade to the official 4.5 version from AT&T. Here is a link with those instructions:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f33/new...elease-112196/

Good luck with your choice.
    01-24-09 05:31 AM
    I have an unlocked 8820, will upgrading cause it to be locked, and I use solely wifi, no bb plan.
    01-31-09 09:58 PM
    I have the tmobile 8820. I love mine. Its a great device. I had a curve and a pearl. I hardly used the camera so not having one is no big deal for me. The keyboard is top knotch!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD