I got an AT&T unlock BB 8820 last week from ebay and I'm currently with T-mobile. I tried to get a wi-fi connection with my home router, it said connected, but when i tried to open the browser, no luck. So I called T-mobile last night, spent 30 minutes with the Blackberry support and the guy finally solved the problem by turned on BB feature enabler so that my lower case "edge" became upper case "EDGE". I tried the built in brower and Opera Mini, both work. Again, I don't have any data plan, just basic family plan. And make sure you have the "Data Services" to "on". Let me know if you want more detail. Good luck.
    07-18-08 11:19 AM
    Did you go into your Browser settings and tell it to use the WIFI browser?

EDGE should not be capped.. heck, you can turn off cell data completely..

I have an 8820 and it's got a burned sim chip in it, and it still gets BES email and can browse the web via WIFI.

if you are showing cap EDGE, you are paying for a data plan. Just be wary..the tech may have added a data plan and not specifically said so.. EDGE means you are connecting into the 2G EDGE network.. no ifs ands or buts about it.
    Last edited by sniffs; 07-18-08 at 12:38 PM.
    07-18-08 12:33 PM
    Did you go into your Browser settings and tell it to use the WIFI browser?

EDGE should not be capped.. heck, you can turn off cell data completely..

I have an 8820 and it's got a burned sim chip in it, and it still gets BES email and can browse the web via WIFI.

if you are showing cap EDGE, you are paying for a data plan. Just be wary..the tech may have added a data plan and not specifically said so.. EDGE means you are connecting into the 2G EDGE network.. no ifs ands or buts about it.
    Sorry, but totally false!! I do not have a data plan currently and use WiFi only (too long to explain why... student and need $$). Either way, the EDGE means you have data connection, but he has the BlackBerry Feature enabler, which (in a sense) is a data plan. It is sometimes referred to as Voice Data addon...

This is FREE and enables new TMo BlackBerrys to receive all the service books needed for MMS and WiFi!! That is why he has EDGE. It does not mean he is being charged, and TMo does not allow accidental data usage without a data plan!!
    07-18-08 12:41 PM
    Well, than it's different on Tmo than because they have that UMA feature.. I wouldn't trust support techs.. they want you off the phone ASAP because they are in a call center.

As I said.. I have an 8820, and it's got a used/burned sim chip inside with all cell connections OFF and shows OFF in the top right, but WIFI is colored and I can get all my emails and browse the web fine.
    07-18-08 12:58 PM
    Exactly. On ATT it is different and you cannot use WiFi without having the data plan!! (from what I have heard and attempted to understand!) Is that correct?

Anyhow, on TMo there is the BlackBerry Enabler addon for your account and it is a tiny little data connection that enables MMS, etc. It is free and for those berry users that do not have email addon or a full data plan!!

TMobile has really good CS reps...always helpful and respectful, so I do not feel the same you do about that!

As for your Berry... why not contact ATT and get a replacement SIM for free? They should not charge if your SIM got fried!
    07-18-08 01:03 PM
    Exactly. On ATT it is different and you cannot use WiFi without having the data plan!! (from what I have heard and attempted to understand!) Is that correct?

Anyhow, on TMo there is the BlackBerry Enabler addon for your account and it is a tiny little data connection that enables MMS, etc. It is free and for those berry users that do not have email addon or a full data plan!!

TMobile has really good CS reps...always helpful and respectful, so I do not feel the same you do about that!

As for your Berry... why not contact ATT and get a replacement SIM for free? They should not charge if your SIM got fried!

Well, the 8820 I have, is just a spare device that I was testing WIFI on.. I carry around 3 phone's with me, a AT&T Curve, an AT&T Motorola Q9h and a Sprint PPC-6700 (ugh.. work phones suck!)

As for AT&T requireing data.. nah, they dont require data.. only Verizon does =P

The Sim card in my 8820 doesnt have active cell service on it, so I have the cell radio turned off.. Basically, the only service that's going to it, is WIFI and it works fine.. The reason it's got a burned chip in it is because the WIFI wouldn't work without a sim chip installed.. so I used a burned sim chip I was going to throw away and viola..works fine!

I'm the BES admin for my company and I have WIFI OTA Activation disabled, so I had to use a actual live sim chip to activate on my bes.. once it was activated, I removed that sim chip and it wouldn't work.. so I put a burned sim in and it works.. =)
    07-18-08 01:09 PM
    Well, the 8820 I have, is just a spare device that I was testing WIFI on.. I carry around 3 phone's with me, a AT&T Curve, an AT&T Motorola Q9h and a Sprint PPC-6700 (ugh.. work phones suck!)

As for AT&T requireing data.. nah, they dont require data.. only Verizon does =P

The Sim card in my 8820 doesnt have active cell service on it, so I have the cell radio turned off.. Basically, the only service that's going to it, is WIFI and it works fine.. The reason it's got a burned chip in it is because the WIFI wouldn't work without a sim chip installed.. so I used a burned sim chip I was going to throw away and viola..works fine!

I'm the BES admin for my company and I have WIFI OTA Activation disabled, so I had to use a actual live sim chip to activate on my bes.. once it was activated, I removed that sim chip and it wouldn't work.. so I put a burned sim in and it works.. =)
    Cool!! Very interesting!

I knew ATT didn't require a data plan... but I was wondering if they needed the data for WiFi to work... and it seems you found a way to "fool" you Berry to think an active SIM card with BES is active... or something!! haha... nice
    07-18-08 01:12 PM
    Seems like you guys know a lot about BB 8820. I have another question. Like what I said in my first post, I don't have data plan, I heard from people that I could still browse the internet (Opera Mini) by changing the APN to www dot voicestream dot com with username and password blank. Is it true?
    07-22-08 10:02 AM
    The easiest method is to go to Settings/Options/Advanced Options/Browser and change them to WIFI Browser..

As for getting Opera Mini to work.. not sure..
    07-22-08 10:54 AM
    Just so you know, Opera mini, as of v. 4.1 has wifi support. Even for AT&T with no dataplan...
    07-24-08 04:48 PM
    I love T-Mobile!
    07-24-08 05:08 PM
    still need help.... =/

i have att 8820 and i unlocked it, using tmobile sim.

is it possible for me to get on wifi still?

and how do i bypass?
    10-08-08 02:37 PM
    I need help I am trying to send pictures, I have at&T and the data plan
    10-27-08 01:25 PM
    How do you get to use the mms on the cingular pearl 8220 I can't send pictures and want to. I have a data plan
    10-27-08 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD