Just received my BB 8830 and I have a few questions regarding the above subject. I am on a BES and and different times of the day I care about different email. I understand I can set up new profiles but it does not seem to address what I am actually trying to achieve. Will try to break it down....

My understanding is that I can not setup level 1 messages because I am on a BES and not the BIS. Therefore the only way I can create a unique email alert for an important sender is through an exception.

The down fall is that no matter the profile selected the same exception will apply. For example I have an exception that vibrates when xzy sends a email. Therefore no matter the selected profile it will always vibrate.

I am looking for the following combinations:

1) during work notifications of all emails with single vibe and important emails with 3 vibes

2) after work to notify me of only the identified important email (ie. boss) but this time using a tone

3) notifications of all emails with single tone and important emails with 3 tone or other

Please help, i am kinda stuck. I am only able to get important email by vibration.

Also can you set the LED to blink fast/slow for differnt emails.
    01-04-08 07:22 PM
    My understanding is that I can not setup level 1 messages because I am on a BES and not the BIS.
    Not true. You can set criteria to make any messages you want to be Level 1 messages. However, ALL Level 1 Messages will notify you the same way. That is, you can't set messages from 'Bob' as Level 1 and have them ring, vs messages from 'Fred' as Level 1 and have them vibrate. They all do the same thing.

Therefore the only way I can create a unique email alert for an important sender is through an exception.

The down fall is that no matter the profile selected the same exception will apply. For example I have an exception that vibrates when xzy sends a email. Therefore no matter the selected profile it will always vibrate.

I am looking for the following combinations:

1) during work notifications of all emails with single vibe and important emails with 3 vibes

2) after work to notify me of only the identified important email (ie. boss) but this time using a tone

3) notifications of all emails with single tone and important emails with 3 tone or other

Please help, i am kinda stuck. I am only able to get important email by vibration.

Also can you set the LED to blink fast/slow for differnt emails.
    There is no way to set profiles based on times or calendar appointments.

However, you CAN set different notifications for different senders by using a combination of BOTH a new Profile name and an Exception Profile.

For example...create a new Profile for 'Bob' and set the Messages notification to whatever you want. Then create an Exception profile and set it so anything from Bob uses the Bob profile name.

Works great - I use it for several people.
    01-04-08 07:29 PM
    That must be the part that I am missing. I do not see how to set important emails to respond as a level 1 since I am on a BES

That is ok, I am not looking to have different responses for different important people. Just a single group of people.

How do I assign these people to level 1. I assume that the level one response will respond based on the profile you have active.

Thanks for the quick response.
    01-04-08 07:45 PM
    You would use a Filter (under Messages -> Options -> Email Filters) to set messages as 'Level 1'.

Then go into the Profiles and set how you want the Level 1 messages to notify you.
    01-04-08 08:01 PM
    not sure of all the setting that i should use. I select forward which gives me the option to select level 1. When I do, and send an email it does not work. I have the profile setup correctly.
    01-04-08 08:22 PM
    Ok, try this....let's you want to set messages from Bug Bunny as Level 1.

Create a Filter with this criteria:
    Name: Bugs
    Sent directly to me: Make sure it's checked
    Action: Forward
    Forward with Level 1 Notification: Make sure it's checked

Save that Filter

Now go into your 'Active' profile (or whatever profile you want to use) and Edit it. Click on the 'Messages[Desktop]' profile option and edit for tone/vibrate and save it.

Make sure that Profile is set to Active.

You could test this if you have a personal email account. Set up your personal email account with the filter/profile and then send yourself an email from that account.
    01-04-08 09:04 PM
    ok, but don't I want to update the level 1 portion of the profile not Message[desktop]. Otherwise all email will alert.

Did this and it did not work
    01-04-08 09:29 PM
    Help fellow Berry's.
    I understand the functions of the profiles and exceptions but I have a question.
    Can you set a single contact (or several) in your phone book to go straight to voicemail when they call? I know you can silent them but I would rather be able to send them directly to voicemail as it does when you hit the ignore button on an incoming call.

Any input is appreciated..
    Thanks!
    Last edited by cindyh; 10-19-09 at 09:48 PM. Reason: wrong model number
    10-19-09 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD