So I have a Garmin GPS in my car, and the charger has the same plug as my BB. How do I go about telling if I can charge my BB with this charger? I dont want to just plug it in, as I'm not entirely sure if its ok to use.
    01-11-08 11:54 AM
    you're talking about the mini-USB connector, right? it's probably fine - USB is USB is USB. it's just a pinout and a voltage spec, and then it's up to the power supply to throw enough current for the device. the only danger would be a totally current un-restricted output, but then that would fry your nav unit, too. cigarette lighter adapters have fuses in them, so one way to check would be to find the fuse (it's either on the side or under the tip of the plug) and check it's rating. my BB wall charger is rated for .7A, so if it's 1A or under it's probably safe.

oddly enough, i can't charge a friend's old RAZR off of my BB's wall wart - possibly not enough current? or maybe yet another effed-up RAZR...

- emilio
    01-11-08 12:00 PM
    I have used the Garmin one with no issues. Also used a motorola one with no issues.
    01-11-08 12:20 PM
    Yep, no issues at all. I have used mine too.

BgDM
    01-11-08 01:37 PM
    thanks guys, may as well use it rather than purchasing another charger. This place is the best.
    01-11-08 05:00 PM
    So I have a Garmin GPS in my car, and the charger has the same plug as my BB. How do I go about telling if I can charge my BB with this charger? I dont want to just plug it in, as I'm not entirely sure if its ok to use.
    My 8830 does not like my 2-year old Nuvi 350 charger. It brings up a warning that there is not enough power.

It does like a friend's new Nuvi 350 charger.

I don't know what is different about the two. No other device can tell any difference between the two chargers.
    01-11-08 07:56 PM
    All mini usb are universal. The mini usb are the same for my BB 8130, digital camera and on my last cell phone the motorola razr. Yoyu can use your mini usb charger for your garmin gps and your BB without problem.
    01-11-08 08:08 PM
    I have a Garmin 260W. I have run the supplied cable under dash for a custom install and could (but don/t want to) remove panels/dash etc to get cord to use when traveling in another car. So tried my BB one and it will NOT POWER the garmin. When I connect, the usb/pc icon comes up and will not load. I think it is charging it but I can not access the maps/gps.

Its not the same.
    06-09-08 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD