Well, I went on cnn.cn the other day and noticed that they had the US 8830 black keypad in stock (YAY)! I ordered it, along with a new trackball and pry tool. I have completely had it with the blue on silver keys situation. I've experienced almost a year of struggling to see this keyboard and can't WAIT to get the black one. I don't care if my BB looks like donkey poo after I install it...I just want to see the keys!

Question: I have seen conflicting information regarding the correct torx screwdriver to use in order to disassemble (and reassemble) the 8830. Is the mini T5 used for the entire job?

Thanks.
    06-19-08 07:48 PM
    Yes the torx t5 is the correct driver for the job I think you need a torx t6 for removing the keyboard. I haven't taken mine apart in a couple of days. I am taking it apart this weekend and replacing the skins to the silver one(mine are black). Need some advice on it PM me your PIN I will be glad to help.
    06-19-08 07:53 PM
    Anyone else know for sure if the T6 is necessary in addition to the T5? I would like to hear from others who have disassembled a Verizon 8830. (please!)
    06-20-08 06:03 AM
    Check on youtube for a couple of videos relating to Blackberry disasembly.

I have a set of mini-torx drivers and they do not have numbers. I just picked the one that fit.
    06-20-08 06:46 AM
    I don't recall but it probably was a 5.

When I did it, I did not even fully remove the side rails. Removed the screws from the battery compartment. Used a plastic citrus peeler to lever away the lower part of the side rails - it takes effort and some patience.

Then I merely bent them away enough so that the lower front lifted enough for the old keyboard to drop out and me to get the new one in. To hold the side rails away while lifting the bottom front, I bent them and used paper clips to keep them from snapping back into place. The side rails contain little flanges that hold the front piece in place so you need to have them out enough to be able to move the front piece. So I never had to "liberate" the sticky tape portion of the side rails.

I did it at work and my secretary just stared as I operated on my BB.

Since I have my Verizon (silver) 8830 in an Otterbox, I really don't see the mismatched body and keyboard. But the difference in key visibility is quite amazing with the black keys and white lighting. You will like that. Even in daylight, just the contrast black keys and white lettering is fantastic - don't know who tested for Verizon and what kind of eyesight they had!!!!
    06-20-08 11:35 AM
    Since I have my Verizon (silver) 8830 in an Otterbox, I really don't see the mismatched body and keyboard.
    Same here, F2. I've got mine in a black Otterbox, so it'll probably look better (as well as work better)! I'm like a kid...counting the days until this keypad arrives...

Just for practice, I took off the battery cover, took out the battery, and tried the T5 on the 4 back screws. Those are definitely T5...but I thought perhaps there were screws elsewhere that needed to come out, that may be a different size.

Hope I'm as lucky as you, F2, and won't have to completely remove the side rails!! Thanks for the tip.
    06-20-08 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD