I'm getting my 8830 today from Verizon. I don't really like the silver, I like the black look better. If I buy a black housing and keyboard from cnn would it be easy to swap out? Has anyone did it with this model before?
    11-30-07 09:24 AM
    here you go: http://cnn.cn/shop/popup.php?img=video/Blackberry 8800 - Disassembly - Repair Tutorial.jpg&w=170&h=120&t=video 6
    11-30-07 09:35 AM
    I actually just watched that. I'm guessing that doing this will void the warranty?
    11-30-07 09:40 AM
    I actually just watched that. I'm guessing that doing this will void the warranty?
    Sure will! Just make sure you keep the old one to put it back on just in case.
    11-30-07 10:41 AM
    SK1 is right. There was a Crackberry Member that had changed his case, and then his phone ended up crashing. He just switched the cases again, and Verizon had no clue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-07 10:03 AM
    you definately need to keep the other one just in case (no pun). if you need to have it serviced by your carrier it needs to be put "back" to it's original state or the warranty is void.
    12-01-07 10:12 AM
    I performed this mod to my unit with a CNN kit.
    Everything turned out fine (albeit a bit nerve wracking at first).
    There is a good thread with a lot of user comments on blackberry-forums. You may want to go do a search there.
    All the tools you will need are included in the kit.
    There are no instructions with the kit, so you must watch the videos and follow them step by step.

A few tips:
    The side rails are held on at the top with a very sticky double sided tape. removing them was the nerve wracking part.

I did not (nor anyone that I can tell so far) has replaced the mid plate that comes with the kit. its not actually necessary to replace it, but of course you can if desired.

Before installing the top plate ensure that you remove the clear protective screen cover on the INSIDE of the top plate. There seems to be some adhesive that will ensure a seal to prevent dust from getting on the screen (?) I think its what the adhesive is for anyways

You CAN do this!! ensure that you give yourself a clean, organized and quite place to work.

Best of luck!

Regards,
    Dave
    12-01-07 07:01 PM
    Yeah I did this at my PT job (From memory) and I think i watched the video 2x. and I had no problem, I did infact screw up tho, I took the side rails off BEFORE i unscrewed the 4 screws under the battery door, so yeah heh i had to use teh new rails that came with it, but lesson learned due to my stupidity. =)

but its REAL easy literally 10 mins and your done.
    12-03-07 03:14 AM
    just got this and i was about to remove the side bars but they wouldn't come off. then i read this and i will try again. guess you just got to put some umph in to override the tape...

Thanks for the info tho

I performed this mod to my unit with a CNN kit.
    Everything turned out fine (albeit a bit nerve wracking at first).
    There is a good thread with a lot of user comments on blackberry-forums. You may want to go do a search there.
    All the tools you will need are included in the kit.
    There are no instructions with the kit, so you must watch the videos and follow them step by step.

A few tips:
    The side rails are held on at the top with a very sticky double sided tape. removing them was the nerve wracking part.

I did not (nor anyone that I can tell so far) has replaced the mid plate that comes with the kit. its not actually necessary to replace it, but of course you can if desired.

Before installing the top plate ensure that you remove the clear protective screen cover on the INSIDE of the top plate. There seems to be some adhesive that will ensure a seal to prevent dust from getting on the screen (?) I think its what the adhesive is for anyways

You CAN do this!! ensure that you give yourself a clean, organized and quite place to work.

Best of luck!

Regards,
    Dave
    10-08-08 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD