I downgraded from 4.5 back to the T-Mobile 4.2. I made a full backup, and everything is in it. Now when I go to restore my 200 or so contacts in desktop manager, "Address Book - All" is greyed out and is read only. How can I get my contacts back? Please help!
    12-14-08 01:43 PM
    Try deleting the address database on your BB using DM. Then go into Synchronization > Configure and map the folders you would like put onto your BB device. This should restore the contacts to your address book.
    Last edited by Patrickwc; 12-16-08 at 04:47 AM.
    12-15-08 09:47 AM
    Try deleting the address database on my BB using DM. Then go into Synchronization > Configure and map the folders you would like put onto your BB device. This should restore the contacts to your address book.
    Not trying to be a ****, but I don't really understand. Could you elaborate more? Thank you for trying to help.
    12-15-08 04:27 PM
    No problem! I sometimes abbreviate and probably should not. Open your Desktop Manager. Choose Backup / Restore > Advanced. The Desktop manager will read the databases on your device. Their should be one called Address book all. Select that and delete it. This will erase all contacts on your device.

Then, close out all those windows and from the main screen in Desktop Manager, click on synchronize and choose configuration. Choose the option that states "configure synchronization settings for your desktop program". Another window will pop up and make sure that your address book option is clicked. Choose the button that says choose and you can specify which contact folders you would like to sync with your device. Close out to the main screen and synchronize your Blackberry with your desktop program. It should restore the contacts database based on what you selected during configuration. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    12-16-08 04:57 AM
    I've got the same problem but I can't even delete the new/existing Address book using the method above as it is also greyed out. This is on a new 9700. When I connect my old 9000 I can see the Address Book fine (not greyed out) but every back-up I make is a 'read-only' file.

HELP!
    03-30-10 08:36 AM
    Hey guys -

I encountered this problem myself, while attempting to update my OS. Luckily, with a little bit of investigating, I found a solution that hopefully works for you as well -

1. Open Address Book on Blackberry
    2. Click the menu button and select "Options"
    3. Under "Contact Lists" will hopefully be one of your e-mail accounts you have configured with your Blackberry - click on it
    4. Turn "Wireless Synchronization" to "No"
    5. Go back into DM and hopefully the "Address Book" will no longer be greyed out and can be transferred onto the device!

Let me know if this helped!
    03-30-10 02:21 PM
    Hi Mr. Lightning Star, I cannot believe the timing of your post. Amazingly, I ran into this issue just a moment ago and what you offered sorted it out! Thanks
    03-30-10 04:46 PM
    yhank you so muuccch~
    04-15-10 12:29 PM
    Glad to hear the above worked for some people. I have that exact problem, but I can't try it because under my Address book options, I don't have the Wireless synchronization option.

I'm on BIS not BES, if that makes any difference.

PLEASE HELP ME!!
    05-30-10 05:47 PM
    Thanks LightingStar worked a treat

@LuckyWales
    Try checking that the device does not have an IT Policy on it
    03-29-11 07:54 AM
    Add one more person to the list that LightningStar's trick worked for. Thanks dude.
    09-25-11 04:14 PM
    LIGHTNINGSTAR: Thanks for your insight! Worked as you suggested.

LUCKYWALES: I'm on BIS also, and LIGHTNINGSTAR's instructions worked for me. You just have to deselect the WIRELESS SYNCHRONIZATION, after you select your email account. But your post was from May 2010...so it may be a moot point for you now. Haha.

Thanks again! CrackBerry.com rules!!!
    09-30-11 08:48 AM
    Worked like a charm - thank you!
    10-28-11 04:53 PM
    I LOVE YOU!!! you totally saved me from losing my mind (and all my contacts!!) as I went from my Bold 9780 to 9900.
    a thousand thank yous!!!!!!
    10-31-11 09:58 PM
    worked perfectly! thanks
    11-01-11 04:17 PM
    lightningstart i had to log in to thank you
    11-03-11 04:12 AM
    Hey guys -

I encountered this problem myself, while attempting to update my OS. Luckily, with a little bit of investigating, I found a solution that hopefully works for you as well -

3. Under "Contact Lists" will hopefully be one of your e-mail accounts you have configured with your Blackberry - click on it
    5. Go back into DM and hopefully the "Address Book" will no longer be greyed out and can be transferred onto the device!

This solution works! After I reloaded my OS for the 4th time I could not restore my contacts on my 9930 using DM or BB Protect even though I used both frequently. Thank You LightningStar for the solution.
    11-21-11 08:30 AM
    OMG!!!! thank u so so so so much `!!!!!!
    11-27-11 09:37 PM
    That's just what i had to do to restore my 1200 contacts. saved my life!

Hey guys -

12-31-11 06:29 AM
    lightning star! i love you!! thanks!!! it worked wonderfully!
    01-05-12 09:20 PM
    Thanks LightningStar! Worked perfect!
    01-19-12 06:26 PM
    Awesome dude apt timing ...!
    10-17-12 01:36 AM
    I made a full backup on my black berry tour, and everything is in it. Now when I go to restore my 200 or so contacts in desktop manager, "Address Book - All" is greyed out and is read only. How can I get my contacts back? Please help!
    01-10-13 05:18 AM
    Hey guys -

It works! Million Thanks to you good Sir!
    02-21-13 11:49 AM
    Thanks Lightning Star!

This worked great but we did have a scary moment here. Let me explain.

We were working with a company (IT controlled) phone. Luckily we BACKED-UP the new phone that IT had just configured before we started. Then we used Lightning Stars advice to restore all of the contacts etc from the old phone. Then we discovered we had lost all of our new email account settings. So, we went back and restored (all) using the new back-up file we had just created. Presto! Old address book was still there. New email accounts were restored! Whew!

Please note: This happened to us because the new phone had a completely new email account associated with it. If nothing has changed to your email account, you will not have any problems. But.......

ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR DEVICE! Anytime, every time, you make even the slightest change. Back-up first!
    05-02-13 08:11 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD