I'm having a hard time finding and transferring videos to my 8830. I'm a new user which may account form a lot of the problem. I have been checking out Movielink.com and Amazon UnBox but haven't been able to convert and transfer the videos to my 8830. Anybody have any suggestions?
    08-01-07 09:27 AM
    Are you transferring using Desktop Manager (Roxio Media Manager)? If yes, it should compress / format it accordingly, i.e. give you an option...
    08-01-07 09:44 AM
    Actually, you can convert it ONLY if the Roxio media manager know what to do with it. I have run across several formats that Roxio just flat out says it does not know what it is. It should be OK on mpg and avi, but mkv throws it for a loop.
    08-01-07 10:47 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't actually tried downloading the PMC format yet but will give Roxio Media Manager a shot. I tried using Mobila Studio and have found that somewhat disappointing but perhaps I don't know how to use it yet.
    08-01-07 11:03 AM
    There are many softwares out there besides the Roxio one which are either free or you have to buy that will convert videos from your PC into something playable on your 8830.

I have yet to find one that "out of the box" supports the 8830, but almost any of them will do what you need as long as you configure them to output a file that is compatible with the 8830. Via Blackberry Technical Solutions Center (see Doc ID : KB05419), the following are the supported video types/formats:
    MPEG-4 Part 2 (Simple Profile and bvop, including DivX 4)
    File formats - .avi, .3gp, .mp4, .mov
    Video - Up to 320 x 240, up to 800 kbps, up to 30 frames per second
    H.263 (Profile 0 & Profile 3)
    File formats - .avi, .3gp, .mp4, .mov
    Video - up to 320 x 240, up to 800 kbps, up to 30 frames per second
    Windows Media� Video (Simple Profile)
    File formats - .wmv
    Video - Up to 320 x 240, up to 800 kbps, up to 24 frames per second
    Note: Windows Media Video is supported in BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 and above.

I have setup a folder on my PC called Converted Videos and I have sub folders under there called PSP, PS3, and 8830. Unfortunately all require a different format since all have different capabilities. But once converted, I can browse there in the upper window of Roxio and tell it to Copy to the 8830 in "as is" mode and they play fine.

Easier for me though is on my XP SP2 machine, if I right click a video, I can send it via BlueTooth to my 8830. Once paired, I go into 8830 Media Player and select the "Receive via Bluetooth" option, and once I click on my PC to send it to 8830 via Bluetooth, the 8830 pops up and asks me where to put it. I put it in the videos folder on my microSD card and voila!

Even easier I suppose would be to move the MicroSD card back and forth between PC and 8830, but since RIM makes it such a pain to access the card I just do it via Bluetooth or over USB (8830 shows up as a browseable hard disk when connected over USB and Desktop Manager is NOT running).

Note that BB Tech Doc has a WEALTH of info on converting (transcoding), transferring, etc.
    08-02-07 11:38 AM
    This is very helpful information especially the bit about BB 8830 support Windows Media Player since that is what Movielink downloads in. Thanks a bunch!
    08-02-07 01:32 PM
    Bad news. I tried transferring the movie I purchased in PMC format from Movielink.com and it gave me an error message after 1 KB. According to Movielink it has something to do with Digital Rights Management. I'm not trying to bootleg or do anything illegal but would like to be able to watch movies that I have paid for on my 8830. I think I'll try the Bluetooth approach with my PSP 3. Are there any legal ways of importing movies into the BB media card?
    08-03-07 01:03 PM
    download Mobiola. It is a piece of cake to download movies and YouTube videos. And it is affordable. Can buy the complete program for only $14.95. Gotta love that. Just make sure you have a 2g or 4 g card.
    11-23-07 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD