Is there any shortcut keys and other combo key strokes that would lock the phone short of using the LOCk and/or Password features?
    Thanks
    Bob
    10-14-08 04:17 PM
    Press and hold the mute key to put it on standby.
    10-14-08 06:16 PM
    If you have v4.2x you can press "ALT + ENTER" simultaneously

(does not work on v4.5x don't know why...)
    10-14-08 06:22 PM
    CORRECTION: Sorry, misread your question. This may not help but could give you something to think about....

Hello-
    You can program the Convenience Key on the left side to "LOCK" the device.

Go to OPTIONS, SCREEEN/KEYBOARD, then scroll down to "Convience Key Opens:" and roll down to LOCK. I tried it and it works.

Tom
    Last edited by tomsentry; 10-15-08 at 10:24 AM.
    10-15-08 10:21 AM
    Wow I've never gone to 4.5 in any of my BB's and it would be really dumb if RIM removed the ALT+ENTER lock shortcut. I am so used to it.
    10-15-08 08:05 PM
    If you want to use the password feature--can't quite tell from the post whether its the lock app or lock feature you don't want to use--with dial from home turned off via options, tapping the K key from the home screen will lock the unit--don't hold the key down.
    ---
    just tried ALT-ENTER on my 4.5.0.77 and it does not lock.
    10-15-08 10:34 PM
    ---
    Another reason not to upgrade.
    10-16-08 03:59 AM
    Another reason not to upgrade.
    I was very hesitant to upgrade at first but after I took the plunge I haven't looked back at all. DocsToGo and HTML email are the biggest improvements that I really can't pass up especially coming from a windows mobile 6.1 device. Haven't had any problems with it, 2 weeks so far.

It isn't hard to navigate to the Keyboard Lock application, set the berry to standby or even just set the convenience key to lock.
    10-16-08 08:58 PM
    I downloaded a program called "Autolock" I set it to my convenience key on the side.

its written by some one named Alan Penner if that helps you find it at all...

It also allows you to lock the phone while still listening to music. So you can setup your headphones, and slip the phone back into your pocket.
    10-23-08 08:54 PM
    I set the convenience key to lock my phone... that way if I accidentally hit it, it doesn't call someone.
    10-23-08 10:30 PM
    I have 4.5 and it locks when you press alt+enter. All you have to do is turn off the language shortcut in options-language at the bottom it'll show laguage shorcut. You can change that to none. Afterwards you'll be able to lock it with the alt+ent.

But just to note, I think it's much better to put your phone on standby. You can press all the buttons and it won't do anything. Not even turn on the backlight. With the lock it's happened that my sister's phone dialed emergency numbers in her bag while it was locked.

I just don't like wasting the convenience key when standby has it's own button up top. Just a thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 10:39 PM
    Where is the menu for "language shortcut"? I looked in options /language and this is what I have:

10-24-08 11:30 AM
    I'm running 4.5.0.81 paulk. What os are you running? Mine has an extra setting at the bottom of that menu saying "input language selection shortcut: none"

10-24-08 11:36 AM
    That must be it, I am running 4.5.0.77...

Thanks for the reply!!!
    10-24-08 11:58 AM
    Np. Glad to help out.

10-24-08 12:14 PM
    if you go to the 'call' screen (where you dial numbers and can see your recent call list) and go into the options> general options you can change 'dial from home screen' to 'off' and that makes all kinds of shortcuts open up. the letter k would be keyboard lock and if you scroll through your apps, a lot of them will have 1 letter underlined in their titles. those are the shortcuts keys.

edit: if i had a screen cap this would help more but hopefully i explained it well enough.

If you want to use the password feature--can't quite tell from the post whether its the lock app or lock feature you don't want to use--with dial from home turned off via options, tapping the K key from the home screen will lock the unit--don't hold the key down.
    ---
    Last edited by savage_beast; 10-25-08 at 12:17 PM.
    10-25-08 12:14 PM