I wish to disable autotext when creating emails, (not SMS) Is this possible?
    08-04-08 08:00 AM
    You cannot selectively disable AutoText...

He11, I do not even think you can disable AutoText. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Either way, you cannot have it enabled for texting but not for email.
    08-04-08 08:20 AM
    you can remove all of the entries from autotext to essentially disable it, but that is about it (as far as i know). once you delete them, if you wanted them back you would have to recreate them. if you have an autotext word that is replaced (for example bb with blackberry) and you want it to say bb, just type the bb, hit space, then hit the del key and it will go back to saying bb.
    08-04-08 08:22 AM
    You cannot selectively disable AutoText...

He11, I do not even think you can disable AutoText. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Either way, you cannot have it enabled for texting but not for email.
    You cannot selectively disable autotext, but you can turn it off entirely by Options/SMS Text/Disable Autotext: Yes
    08-04-08 08:52 AM
    You cannot selectively disable autotext, but you can turn it off entirely by Options/SMS Text/Disable Autotext: Yes
    Wow!! That is awesome.... ya learn something new every day, whether it be little or big

Thanks for the info Jeff!
    08-04-08 08:56 AM
    Doesnt this only work for SMS? I could be wrong (and i frequently am ) but isnt that the opposite of what the OP wanted?
    08-04-08 09:19 AM
    Doesnt this only work for SMS? I could be wrong (and i frequently am ) but isnt that the opposite of what the OP wanted?
    Well, at least you're not wrong this time. I just checked it and disabling autotext in the SMS options does disable it only for SMS. Emails and memos still use the autotext entries. Which isn't what the OP wanted, but is all that's available. BTW, thanks for suggesting "bb" as an autotext entry. Don't know why that had not occurred to me.
    08-04-08 09:33 AM
    Hey no problem, i use that one all the time. And glad to know I was not complete off base.
    08-04-08 09:37 AM
    Thanks for the speedy replies/reaction - always appreciated. Well, I thought this would be the case, ie. you can disable autotext for SMS only. I guess you can't always have your Blackberry cake and eat it.
    08-04-08 10:56 AM
    im also trying to turn this off on the 8100 running 4.5.0.124 - according to the owner, he was able to completely shut this off on 4.2. if anyone has any ideas, that'd be great.
    02-26-09 12:09 PM
    Thanks I wanted to get rid of this too. It was annoying to me.
    11-03-09 01:48 AM
    As part of my job, I have to configure and activate devices for new BB users. Disabling autotext is one thing but it still insists on autotext for other apps. To avoid this annoying, select the BB Home button, and select Enable Full Keyboard. That will give you the normal style keyboard
    Hope that helps anyone with this issue.
    02-24-10 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD