I am having some problems with Blackberry Desktop manager. I installed the version that came with my 8830 last week. This was the March 2007 release. I would have to start the BBDM three times before it would connect to the BB without generating a windows error message and ask to report the problem to Microsoft. Of course, Microsoft had no information about the error.

The first time I sycronized the BB 8830 it put all of my contacts and calendar events in the handset just fine. However, when I would perform followup sync activity for the 8830 the BBDM would announce it was adding a long list of calendar events to my 8830. The thing is, the BB already had these calendar events installed. On contacts it would only identify those items that were different between the 8830 and Outlook that is running on my PC.

I learned of a new version of the BBDM from this site. I downloaded it today, uninstalled the older version and did a clean re-boot and install of this newer version. Fortunately, my connection issues and error messages have gone away. I still, however, have BBDM wanting to add every event in my Outlook calendar to my handset every time I do a sync. I have had three blackberries before this one and used this software and I have never seen it do this.

I called Verizon customer non-support and I was told the software is working correctly. I questioned the logic of this since the software constantly reported these events were being ADDED to the handset that perhaps something was not quite right. Again I was told everything is just fine.

After I got off the phone I put a new appointment in my blackberry manually. I then did annother sync. The same window came up telling me the same number of events were being added to my handheld device. It DID NOT tell me that one event was being added to the Outlook calendar! Now I know it is not working right. I shut down BBDM and checked my Outlook calendar and the event I put into the blackberry was NOT on the calendar in Outlook. No sync had taken place. Just as I feared.

I called Verizon customer non-support back and explained everything again. The CNS representative says he does not have much information on the new phone. He says he will have to open a trouble ticked and they will get back to me in a few days!

Do any of you other folks see this same behaviour out of your 8830 and BBDM? I have absolutely ZERO faith that Verizon will call me back much less actually solve the problem.
    05-24-07 03:39 PM
    There are a lot of us out there experiencing the same thing. One thread posted that verizon was supposidly putting a software upgrade out tomorrow to correct the issue. I think it was in the talk forum or something.
    05-24-07 04:04 PM
    Interesting....the in the hour and a half of my life I just wasted with Verizon customer non support they expressed not a hint they knew anything about an existing issue like this. They spent more time explaining to me how they could not help me and would have to get someone to call me back in a few days.

Thanks for the info. Now I am more angry than ever. If I return this phone I may include a cracked open can of sardines in the package with it and send it ground. It should be good and ripe by the time they get it back!!

I just do not have time to beta test this piece of equipment for Verizon and RIM and I am sure neither do any of the other hapless souls that have bought this crippled phone!

Definantly not ready for prime time.
    05-24-07 04:10 PM
    Same problem. Spent hours on phone with Verizon the answer is that is a known bug. THe Desktop software for 8830 on the SmithMicro site, but not fix anything.
    05-27-07 08:16 AM
    No fix has been released yet, but sit tight, as soon as there is one, we will have it here!
    05-27-07 10:05 AM
    Do any of you other folks see this same behaviour out of your 8830 and BBDM?
    Definitely having the same problem. Got the BB 8830 Verizon "World Edition" almost 2 weeks ago (second day out), and everything works great -- EXCEPT the calendar sync with Desktop Manager. All it does is a full calendar export from PC to BB, which takes a long time and isn't a "sync" at all (although Contacts, Tasks, and Notes work fine).

I guess there's some comfort in the shared exasperation we all have with this . . . a brand new product with a flawed software release.

Is there any such problem with DM for other BB models?
    05-28-07 05:22 PM
    I just bought the BB Pearl 8130 & as cute/small as it is, i'm currently missing my bulky Treo. I have followed the instructions to the T on installing BBDM & am having the same issues synching (Laugh) my contacts, calendar & tasks, however mine wants to DELETE a lot & doesn't add to my calendar unless i confirm the deletes as well. I'll go see if there is an upgrade to my BBDM and may need to try Verizon nohelp & see if they give the same response.

As a workaround, is there an option to select which details you want to sync? It appears it's an all/nothing.
    05-15-08 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD