I'm looking at buying an 8820 through AT&T. I don't want to get the data plan, because I don't want to pay for it and don't need to get my email pushed to me. However, I do like the device to replace my old Palm, I can get a cheaper refurb one, and wouldn't mind being able to browse via wifi when I need to (not possible with PalmOS Treos). Will I be able to get my email (Exchange server through work) over wifi? Is a Blackberry license needed for getting email over wifi, or only for over-the-air?

Thanks for your help.
    07-23-09 08:16 PM
    You will not be able to use the Blackberry's e-mail capabilities without a data plan. You will be limited to whatever you can do with a web browser. I can tell you from experience that trying to access an Outlook Web Access portal with Blackberry's browser is painful.

Doug
    07-23-09 09:19 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Any insight on a phone that would let me use email over wifi? I'd like the Treo 800 (you can buy a wifi card for it), but it's a Sprint phone and not compatible with AT&T.
    07-23-09 09:32 PM
    you can access the mobile versions of yahoo or hotmail in terms of emails
    07-25-09 08:34 PM
    It's nice that there's a mobile version of hotmail, but I'm bummed about not being able to do the exchange server through WiFi. When I need to, it would be really handy, but not worth the data plan for me. Thanks for the advice, all!
    07-26-09 10:31 PM
    Why buy a refurbished one and extend your contract another 2 years, you can just purchase a used one on eBay.
    07-27-09 11:02 PM
    I'd just get one from ebay also, they are mostly under $200 bucks. Great device also.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 02:58 PM
    wi-fi is a definite plus
    08-03-09 11:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD