Hello all. I am so new that my new BB 8830 (from verizon) gets here tomorrow, but I wanted to hit the ground running right when I got it so I figured I would post my questions and see if I could get some help. This will be for my personal use and to help me make sure I am at places on time, get things done in a timely manner, and so I don't forget that I have things to do on the upcoming days. Thanks for the input!! (please excuse my lack of knowledge and terminology, I promise to catch up quickly)

1. Do I need to upgrade my free hotmail account so that I can get it to POP to microsoft outlook so that I can sync up all my calendar events, daily tasks, and contacts to my BB or will all that work with out upgrading?

2. Do you recommend another email service to use that works better then hotmail for BB?

3. Are there issues with BB software and outlook 2007 (am I better off sticking with 2003)?

4. How exactly do I get my email to get to my BB once I have setup my outlook or whatever comes up that is better suited for the BB?

Thats all I have for now I guess. I am sure I will have pleanty more questions about downloads and things of that nature in the near future. Thanks!
    05-16-07 08:11 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com

1. Do I need to upgrade my free hotmail account so that I can get it to POP to microsoft outlook so that I can sync up all my calendar events, daily tasks, and contacts to my BB or will all that work with out upgrading?

Answer:
    Upgrading your Hotmail will only allow you to connect your account to your BlackBerry. I don't think calendar items, contacts, etc will have the option to sync to it. BUT, you could somehow export the info from Hotmail and then import it into Outlook (2000, 2003 or 2007), and then sync to your BB, no?

2. Do you recommend another email service to use that works better then hotmail for BB?

Answer:
    GMail, and it FREE!

3. Are there issues with BB software and outlook 2007 (am I better off sticking with 2003)?

Answer:
    Thus far, for me, it works flawlessly. But, if you have Office 2007 documents, those can't be read from the device. But, if in Word / Excel options you change it to save documents as if it's an Office 2000 or 2003, then they can be viewed on the BB...

4. How exactly do I get my email to get to my BB once I have setup my outlook or whatever comes up that is better suited for the BB?

Answer:
    Premature question. And the only reason I say that is because there are X ways to do this. So, first decide if you're going to get a GMail email account, or upgrade your Hotmail account, and then we'll take the next step...
    05-16-07 08:51 PM
    Thanks for the input Navilyn. I appreciate it.

So Syncing to outlook to get all my calendar events, tasks, & contacts can be done with my BB though right? I can manually enter all that in I guess my true question was does the BB software pull all that in from outlook as long as it is in outlook. For now lets say I stick with hotmail and get that all setup to pull into my outlook.
    05-17-07 11:10 AM
    By the way what part of Atl are you from? I use to live in the Highlands right at the corner of Amsterdam and N. Highland. My wife and I are just waiting to move back there at some point.
    05-17-07 11:12 AM
    Yes, the BlackBerry can sync: Tasks, Contacts & Calendar no problem once it's in Outlook...

ps: I work off Roswell Road...

Thanks for the input Navilyn. I appreciate it.

So Syncing to outlook to get all my calendar events, tasks, & contacts can be done with my BB though right? I can manually enter all that in I guess my true question was does the BB software pull all that in from outlook as long as it is in outlook. For now lets say I stick with hotmail and get that all setup to pull into my outlook.
    05-17-07 11:30 AM
    Great! That is what I wanted to hear. So now I guess it's a matter of going with Hotmail $20 a year for the premium account or Gmail which is free. I was going to ask how all the features are but I really does not matter since I will be going through outlook anyways right? You are going through Gmail to outlook 2007 with no problems correct?
    05-17-07 11:44 AM
    Quote:
    I was going to ask how all the features are but I really does not matter since I will be going through outlook anyways right? You are going through Gmail to outlook 2007 with no problems correct?

...right, and correct.
    05-17-07 12:10 PM
    Thanks you have been a great help. Here is a question that is related to this site. I noticed some people have their BB pin and information like that. What is that for? Thanks.
    05-17-07 12:56 PM
    Every BlackBerry has a pin! Go to options / status, and you will see your pin number.

It's like IM where you can send a message DIRECTLY to someone's device. And, most BlackBerry's have BlackBerry Pin Messenger - an actual application to handle it all...
    05-17-07 01:11 PM
    Sweet thanks.
    05-17-07 01:31 PM
    Hi. Ok I got my gmail account setup. I am now leaving to go pick up my new BB 8830. So another question; can people get their personal email through a BES and what is WES? Thanks.
    05-17-07 08:16 PM
    Personal email does not 'really' go through BES, it goes through BIS (via your service provider...

An WES, well, read all about it here, and here!
    05-17-07 10:44 PM
    All is working great!! I just have to install the BB software and sync everything up. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the advice...Gmail is working out great....
    05-18-07 02:36 PM
    Is BES subscription based?

For Hotmail, cant I just log on to the internet on my BB and check hotmail from there?

Sean
    06-25-07 07:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD