I have spent hours on here working on this. I love the site, and the 8820 seems like a great fit for my needs.

8820 brand new, from AT&T
    I spent last night getting 4.5 installed on it. Everything seems great, I don't have BB maps, looks like that is a project within itself, that I will fight later.

WiFi is wierd, I have Data Services disabled, and I can do the wifi diagnostic and is says I am connected, and I see an ip address, but when I use the browser, no joy.

Also under the manage connections options, I can only turn data ON or OFF ?? There is no wifi prefered or only option.

I have went into the advanced options browser, and told it to use hotspot browser.

So I am thinking maybe I have to have Data Services enabled even to use WI-FI? Is there a way that I can ensure that I won't in anyway accidentally use 3g, so I don't get data charges.

Thanks so much for any suggestions, I am going to continue reading posts and will update this as I find anything.
    Last edited by seaton; 08-14-08 at 08:27 PM.
    08-14-08 07:59 PM
    From the newbie guide it says to:

Next, we will fine tune some other connection properties. Navigate to Home Screen > Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options. Under 'Connection Preference' make sure you have 'WiFi preferred' selected.

The only options I have here are data services ON or OFf
    Mobile Network: AT&T

That is all I have available, I am on 4.5

Thanks in advance
    08-14-08 08:24 PM
    First thing is 8820, no 3G, just edge, data regardless. Not so sure you can access BES only over WiFi.......why would you buy an 8820 and not get a data plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 08:32 PM
    First thing is 8820, no 3G, just edge, data regardless. Not so sure you can access BES only over WiFi.......why would you buy an 8820 and not get a data plan?

My old phone died, and I made a decision to try the 8820, I am thinking I should of bought an N95 instead.

Like I said I work 24/7 by wifi, so if I can at least get wifi to work then I have a phone I can web browse with, and get web mail if I can't get bes to work.

At this point I guess it is an overpriced mp3 player. It doesn't seem I can get wifi access no matter what I do. I wonder if getting an unlock code would help ?
    08-14-08 09:46 PM
    Ok, making some progress. I pulled the sim card, and then I was able to use wifi. I was then able to use wifi on the phone as long as I enabled the mobile network options -> Data Services - On (Even with my sim installed now). The thing that worries me is that I don't have any preference like other people have talked about where you can choose wifi-only, or wi-fi preferred. I dont even know if there is a way to see how much data you have done to your carrier.

So there is no way for me to know if I am using wifi, or if it is sending cellular.
    08-14-08 11:22 PM
    If you are using wifi, the wifi symbol at the top will be lit up in capital letters (WIFI).
    08-15-08 04:48 AM
    You'll need to be a BES subscriber to get that functionality. Does your company have a BES server. If not, to get your web email pushed you'd wanna be a BIS subscriber.

I'm not sure what you'll get from AT&T if all you wanted was a mobile web browser. It really is an awesome device when you subscribe to the services intended.

08-15-08 05:33 AM
    You'll need to be a BES subscriber to get that functionality. Does your company have a BES server. If not, to get your web email pushed you'd wanna be a BIS subscriber.

I'm not sure what you'll get from AT&T if all you wanted was a mobile web browser. It really is an awesome device when you subscribe to the services intended.

My company has a BES server. I used a friends SIM card and got BES activated, and the mail synced. I then put my card back in. Had AT&T block my account for edge, voice only in other words. Now I can enable data, which allows my wireless to work without worry of data charges. The wireless browser works great. The blackberry site says this configuration should work. I can send mail, but am not currently receiving mail over WLAN. I recieved the message I sent myself, but that was it. Outbound is working fine, just no inbound.

I can get may mail through a browser, that works at least. Even in the crippled state, I love the phone, I have vpn, a browser, ssh, voice dialing, mp3, mp4. Whats not to love a serious upgrade from my old phone.

I agree the phone would be so much better with a data plan, but my company refuses to pay data plans and has even taken phones away all together from people who couldn't justify a 24/7 support role.
    08-15-08 10:25 PM
    Alright, so I just got a 8820 today myself, I got it for work and the SIM is not yet active.. and I tried to use WIFI, having the same problems.

My question is...

okay, I get data plan, and everything then WIFI works..

what if I am overseas?

if I am on WIFI in another country, will my data need to be connected too?

.... i just dont understand this whole thing... haha
    08-20-08 09:37 PM
    Alright, so I just got a 8820 today myself, I got it for work and the SIM is not yet active.. and I tried to use WIFI, having the same problems.

My question is...

okay, I get data plan, and everything then WIFI works..

what if I am overseas?

if I am on WIFI in another country, will my data need to be connected too?

.... i just dont understand this whole thing... haha
    Well I have learned lots. And had some limited progress. I upgraded my phone to the latest and greatest 4.5 whatever up top of this thread. That was no big deal. Some of the settings people talk about go away in 4.5, like my only options for data were on and off, none of the prefer wifi and such. I had AT&T disable edge for my phone. I was then able to turn on data with no worry of data charges, and then my wifi would work at work and at home (always yellow status, but can browse anything I like). Even then the wifi was black and white ect. I found that if I ditched the AT&T theme and went to one of the blackberry themes the wifi icon even worked. I changed my browser to the hotspot preference and have been able to do internet over wifi no probs. I borrowed a friends sim card, activated my bes account. My bes account was not working over wifi. To my surprise my enterprise messenger was working over wifi with no prob. Yahoo messenger also worked just fine.

I then went for the home run, called my IS&T, quoting these blackberry forums articles
    BlackBerry Search Results
    BlackBerry Search Results

they followed some docs from blackberry that say you can do bes over wi-fi with no data plan. They configured it and I borrowed the friends card again so they could push down the bes policy to my 8820 to do bes over wifi.

Since they have done that, it broke me, I have like 3 times the service books I had, browser still works great, enterprise messenger won't try wifi anymore for some reason, I get Data Services unavailable now when I try. It was working before. Yahoo that was working, doesn't work anymore, only the browser is working.

I am like 99% there I just need to figure out what service book broke me, maybe I can delete it. Ofcourse IS&T can't tell me what service books they shoved down.
    Last edited by seaton; 08-22-08 at 03:17 PM.
    08-22-08 03:09 PM
    I need to post this so I can have posted 10 times to post these urls
    08-22-08 03:10 PM
    08-22-08 03:11 PM
    My company has a BES server. I used a friends SIM card and got BES activated, and the mail synced. I then put my card back in. Had AT&T block my account for edge, voice only in other words. Now I can enable data, which allows my wireless to work without worry of data charges. The wireless browser works great. The blackberry site says this configuration should work. I can send mail, but am not currently receiving mail over WLAN. I recieved the message I sent myself, but that was it. Outbound is working fine, just no inbound.

I can get may mail through a browser, that works at least. Even in the crippled state, I love the phone, I have vpn, a browser, ssh, voice dialing, mp3, mp4. Whats not to love a serious upgrade from my old phone.

I agree the phone would be so much better with a data plan, but my company refuses to pay data plans and has even taken phones away all together from people who couldn't justify a 24/7 support role.
    I'm fortuna(e enough that the company will reimburse me for data. Its not required of me but its very convenient to be able to resppnd to an issue that happens right away. The $30/month is worth it to them.

Just going with wifi wouldn't be worth it. I can get VPN access with my laptop. Where it really comes in handy is traveling (having a data plan) as I'm on the road frequently. Maybe you should reasses how much you need to be available if the company won't provide you the tools to do so.

08-22-08 03:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD