hey im thinking of buying my first blackberry and i was interested on the 8820
    because to my understanding is the most affordable gps/wifi phone.

i talked to to a att seller and he told me that u need media net in able to se wifi and gps.

my question is can i have both those features without media plan? .

dont really wanna shell out an extra 35$ a month .

so i heard for the gps i can use trek buddy as i can download the maps to a sd card .

any answers to my questions would be gladly appreciated

sorry for y grammar using a lame silicone keyboard kinda hard to get use too.
    12-21-08 09:16 AM
    Welcome to CB! The 8820 comes with a built-in GPS receiver which can obtain your devices location on the world. That is for FREE! GPS does not use your data plan, maps do. Most mapping applications download the maps from the internet on the fly. This download from the internet is quite similar to just browsing the web with your BlackBerry browser and it will use your data plan. Here are some really good GPS programs:

Spot
    Google Mobile
    MobileTracker

Wi-Fi should not use your data plan. Wi-Fi is totally free, no data usage at all, just make sure that your carrier knows you got a new phone and tell them to disable the data feed to your phone. Otherwise you will get charged.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Patrickwc; 12-21-08 at 02:31 PM.
    12-21-08 02:24 PM
    Personally, I love the 8820. I think it's a great phone and if you don't need a camera I would highly suggest getting it.
    12-21-08 02:31 PM
    thanks for the links ! . so how bout the wifi and the whole thing i dont wanna use internet provided by att . so the only alternative ould be trek buddy i assume right ? unless you can download the maps n youre pc ?
    12-21-08 02:57 PM
    I use both BB and Google maps, Try these apps first.
    12-21-08 02:59 PM
    they dont require media plan right ?
    cuz thats my whole controversy
    12-21-08 03:15 PM
    i hope im not confusing anyone
    12-21-08 05:18 PM
    Both Blackberry maps and Google require a data plan, yes. If you are looking to use any maps with an application, you will need a data plan. If the cost is a concern, then the app you mentioned, Trek buddy might be what you require. As far as the Wi-Fi access, try this browser:

Opera Mini | The most popular mobile phone browser in the world

You can use this browser with your Wi-Fi access.
    12-21-08 06:13 PM
    thanks for all you're help . any experiences with trek buddy ? .
    12-21-08 09:35 PM
    to my understanding the 8820 is one of the best blackberries out there
    12-22-08 06:32 PM
    It is definitely a great device, and one of the many in the Blackberry line. It all depends on your specific needs as to which one you choose. Good luck with your decision.
    12-22-08 06:52 PM
    it pretyy much has what the bold curve and storm have so its also better priced
    12-22-08 08:28 PM
    I've had mine now since April and it has met every need I have and more. It doesn't get the love of the other models probably because it has no camera but, other than that, it's great.
    12-23-08 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD