Hi,
    I have just bought a 8820 on orange but not from them (Ebay!) and am using a sim card that I had in my previous phone (no Blackberry contract)
    I can get the gps to pin point me but when I go to 'maps' on the front screen I get nothing but stripes. It cannot find any location that I try to put in. I am within a mifi signal however. Is it because I am not on a BB data contract.
    Also, I have tried loading google maps but it show 10% at the top whenever I load it. Not sure why.
    Still trying to get to grips with my gadget.
    Any help gratefully received.
    I would love to use the phone for sat nav

thanks
    06-26-08 05:23 AM
    Hi, I think you need a data plan for your Blackberry.

I use my BB 8800 together with Nav4All which is free and works perfect!
    Find more here >>>

Have a nice day!
    06-26-08 05:34 AM
    Thanks Buddy,
    Much appreciated.
    How do I get that onto my phone, please? I have it connected by USB. Do I save it to the pc first then onto the BB or save it direct to the BB?

many thanks
    06-26-08 05:40 AM
    Also, I am downloading the latest software update for the BB from their site. How do I get that from the pc onto the BB please?
    God I sound like a real technophobe

Thanks
    06-26-08 05:43 AM
    I have installed it. Simple. However, when I try and set up the voices and setting etc it says that there is an error as no gprs is available. I check the gps signal and it is strong. 8 or 9 satellites being used. I will not track me either.
    Am I doing something wrong? Or is it down to not having a BB data contract?

thanks again
    06-26-08 06:16 AM
    I have just been out and about with the BB. Refreshed the gps and found loads of signal. Went to the Nav4all program and it said that I had no GPRS signal. Went into the settings of Nav4all and it found the gprs working away yet it couldn't locate me or give me a route.
    Any ideas please?

Thanks
    06-26-08 08:19 AM
    Despite the similiarity of letters, GPRS has nothing to do with GPS. GPRS stands for General Packet Radio Service. It's the system GSM phones use for data. Nav4All is telling you it can't download its maps because you don't have a data plan.
    06-26-08 01:42 PM
    Thank you.
    So the only way I can get any mapping system to work is with a BB data plan?

Many thanks for your reply
    06-27-08 04:23 AM
    Thank you.
    So the only way I can get any mapping system to work is with a BB data plan?...
    There are a couple of alternatives. Trekbuddy and Mobile GMaps allow you to store maps on a microSD card. I've not used either. Here's a link to a discussion: http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...sd-card-40041/

Garmin also has a package that combines their software with maps on a microSD card. It's only available for a few carriers. You can see it on their website. It doesn't work with Verizon, so I haven't used it either.

Browse the GPS & Mapping forum and you can find more information about these options, and maybe others, but right now, there just aren't a lot of GPS apps that don't require a data plan. As microSD cards get more capacity and as more devices are sold that use them, that may change.
    06-27-08 05:23 AM
    Top man JeffH.
    Thank you very much. I will have a good look.

Much appreciated
    06-27-08 04:10 PM
    I am trying to use BB maps, now that I have the data package, but get this error message: "Uncaught exception: net.rim.device.api.system.UnsupportedOperationExce ption"

Any idea what it means and what i am doing wrong??

Thanks
    07-14-08 08:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD