Im going to have to agree. Cameras on phones are lame and one of the reasons I wanted the 8830.
    12-05-08 09:59 PM
    Yep. Being an attorney, I can't take phones into our courthouses.
    12-06-08 11:27 AM
    I have 4.5.0.101 in my alltel 8830. It's Ok but has a few issues. Videos don't play if they are fullscreen is the main prob for me.
    12-08-08 06:28 PM
    I have 4.5.0.101 in my alltel 8830. It's Ok but has a few issues. Videos don't play if they are fullscreen is the main prob for me.
    The video issue with 101 is pretty well known at this point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 06:37 PM
    So does this mean that I will never be able to see full html emails on my Sprint 8830? Also, is there another browser that works with this edition? The one that comes with it sucks!

12-09-08 05:07 PM
    So does this mean that I will never be able to see full html emails on my Sprint 8830? Also, is there another browser that works with this edition? The one that comes with it sucks!

Did you upgrade to 4.5? If you did and you are still not receiving HTML emails, continue sending service books until you have HTML emails.
    12-09-08 05:09 PM

The 4.5 browser is much better than the 4.2 browser. You can always use opera mini if you don't like the blackberry browser. I personally am not a fan of opera mini, though a lot of people here seem to like it.
    12-09-08 05:15 PM
    Myxertones.com Best I've found for free ringtones.
    12-09-08 10:19 PM
    I'm sure the 8830WE is making its rounds around the toilet bowl soon to be flushed completely down the drain. It's ancient technology already! Doesn't even have a camera on it!

I just wish they'd still "support" it...and provide a somewhat official OS upgrade.
    Ahhh camera phones are a convience item....but I really don't mind not havina camera on my 8830....I'll just have to use my 7.1 megapixel instead! Hahaha...
    12-22-08 10:49 AM
    I highly doubt Verizon (or RIM) will drop the 8830 until there is a successor model without a camera. Look at how long the 8703 has survived! Verizon (and RIM) would be shooting themselves in the foot with gov't/military/corporate/legal users if there was no camera-free Blackberry.

SO...is anyone else with 4.5.0.101 using the Verizon theme and finding they no longer have the "Options" icon on their screen as a selection to run? Mine is gone, not sure exactly when it disappeared, but it's not hidden, not moved into a folder, nor does a battery pull bring it back. Ideas anyone? I would change the theme to see if it is theme related, but of course I can't since there's no icon to get into Options to change the theme!!!
    12-22-08 03:27 PM
    I highly doubt Verizon (or RIM) will drop the 8830 until there is a successor model without a camera. Look at how long the 8703 has survived! Verizon (and RIM) would be shooting themselves in the foot with gov't/military/corporate/legal users if there was no camera-free Blackberry.

SO...is anyone else with 4.5.0.101 using the Verizon theme and finding they no longer have the "Options" icon on their screen as a selection to run? Mine is gone, not sure exactly when it disappeared, but it's not hidden, not moved into a folder, nor does a battery pull bring it back. Ideas anyone? I would change the theme to see if it is theme related, but of course I can't since there's no icon to get into Options to change the theme!!!
    I am running 4.5.0.101 on my verizon phone with no issues with missing icons. If it is truly missing I would reload the OS to see if that corrects the issue.

12-22-08 06:51 PM

If you're really dying for 4.5, go find a beta to install. 4.5.0.77 so far seems be the most stable. As for another browser, many like Opera Mini, might want to give that a try...
    12-23-08 12:28 AM
    I don't doubt there is a need for phones w/o cameras. That's not the point I'm trying to make. The problem is that Verizon will not continue developmental support of the phones the currently have in consumer's hands. Operating System upgrade is a perfect example. I can almost guarantee VZW won't be releasing an OS upgrade for the 8830, it will never get MMS support (just because it doesn't have a camera), and we're simply LUCKY to even get GPS support on some phones. I've already upgraded my 8830 to 4.5, but, I suspect 4.2 OS BB 8830 don't have GPS capabilities w/o VZNavigator. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So - yea, there will be new phones without cameras being deployed - but, current phones will go bye-bye w/o the support they desparately need.
    12-23-08 08:46 AM
    Verizon enabled the internal GPS for OS 4.5 and later only. The internal GPS is still disabled in 8830's running OS 4.2.2.196, the latest official release. You are likely correct with the rest of your speculations. It is possible that Verizon might release 4.5 just before ending support for the 8830, which was still in mall kiosks this weekend.

12-23-08 08:54 AM
    I am running 4.5.0.101 on my verizon phone with no issues with missing icons. If it is truly missing I would reload the OS to see if that corrects the issue.

I was able to get into Options by disabling dialing from home screen, thus enabling the shortcuts like 'o' to get to the Options screen. Restoring theme defaults restored the icon, but it has since disappeared once more and I can't figure out why.

And I sure hope some newer 4.5 comes out for 8830. The memory leak in .101 is still horrible. If I don't run Viigo I can make it a couple days before I'm at zero bytes free and have to do a hard reset, with Viigo running it's daily.
    12-23-08 10:10 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD