"BlackBerry Desktop Manager is no longer supported by BlackBerry."
    So, now that I have determined my tried & true BB 8830 of over 10 years of great use, it's developed problems and I need to replace it. I happen to have a nearly new Blackberry 8830 I acquired years ago, and I want to simply transfer all the data from my old phone to my nearly new BB 8830. Trouble is my old BB 8830 will not sync to my desktop anymore, so that I may transfer all the address book to my newer BB 8830. I tried the old Blackberry user tools disk, and I also tried the new disk supplied with my newer BB 8830. No dice. Neither will successfully load to my desktop, so I may sync the data to the newer phone. So, in your expert option, how do I get the address book + my full calendar schedule transferred to the newer BB 8830. Thank you for your patience with me, since I am not very technically advanced. Can you advise how to get all the data to my newer BB 8830, or do you advise me to get a particular more updated smart phone to use with my pre-paid Verizon plan? A Blackberry or Samsung particular models perhaps? I just like the way my old Blackberry 8830 always worked for me and it's size, even though it doesn't have a camera...
    09-12-18 04:24 AM
    My view is it's time to move on to a modern platform... or you'll go through all of this again in the near future when BIS is shutdown. With Verizon your only option is a BlackBerry KEYone.

If you can install the BlackBerry Content Transfer app on the 8830... might get most your data moved over. If not you'll have to start from scratch, but going forward you won't face this issue again.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-12-18 07:03 AM
    BBOS devices are long past their End of Life support, and BlackBerry Limited has said they will officially shut down BIS and BlackBerry World in 15 months.

There are plenty of "die hards" willing to do whatever they can to squeeze more life out of their legacy devices, but you have to decide whether the trouble is worth it to you.

That is ample time to upgrade to something newer before your phone becomes even more crippled. A BlackBerry KEYone or KEY2 LE might be worth a look if you'd rather not pay $650 USD for a KEY2.

 BlackBerry | Q10
    09-12-18 07:18 AM
    At the end of 2019, your BBOS phones will not work on Verizon at all, as they are shutting down their CDMA network in order to refarm spectrum for 4G and 5G networks.
    09-12-18 04:49 PM
    Thanks so much! This info is what I really needed to know in order to make the right decision. I will check to see if I can get a BB Key one at a reasonable price and manageable pre-paid Verizon plan. Just in case, Verizon does not have the BB Key one or its not available for my pre-paid plan, what Samsung phone would you recommend for my purpose? A Costco Verizon Rep recommended Samsung smart phones: S9, S9+, S8, Note 8, Note 9. Thanks for your advice!
    09-13-18 12:58 AM
    Thanks so much! This info is what I really needed to know in order to make the right decision. I will check to see if I can get a BB Key one at a reasonable price and manageable pre-paid Verizon plan. Just in case, Verizon does not have the BB Key one or its not available for my pre-paid plan, what Samsung phone would you recommend for my purpose? A Costco Verizon Rep recommended Samsung smart phones: S9, S9+, S8, Note 8, Note 9. Thanks for your advice!
    All the Samsung devices you listed are solid devices. It depends what you want in a smartphone. Biggest screen possible? Stylus? Etc.
    09-13-18 07:13 AM
    Get what you can afford... newer means more supported updates, as well as new hardware. But yes any of those Samsung's are solid phones.

And with Verizon I might also look at the Pixel phones... as they'll get updates longer.
    09-13-18 07:57 AM