If anyone knows any tips or tricks about the BB 8830 WE please post them here!!!! {thought it would be cool to make this thread for the 8830 user's like myself.

Thought it would be a good idea to have people post their personal tips or tricks to using the Pearl, maximizing effciency, or just some cool nugget of wisdom in one centralized location.

Post away!

Here is a real basic one but very useful: To close a program, instead of simply pushing the red button (which doesn't actually close the program) go through the menu button and do it. Or if you are at your home screen and want to delete programs running to improve battery effeciency, hold down alt (the button with the down black arrow, up grey arrow in bottom left corner) and press the escape button (first button on right next to trackball). This will display running programs and you can close all but the main 5 (browser, call log, home screen, messages and blackberry messenger [or so mine seems]).

12-27-07 10:21 PM
    Unfortunately I don't have any great tips or anything to add at this time, but I love this idea and will anxiously await any others that might show up!

Post up those tricks people, help me out here!
    12-28-07 10:59 AM
    My tip today is, DONT leave a video on your blackberry that you DONT want your kids to watch !!!! nuf said...LOL
    12-28-07 02:20 PM
    Change Battery Graph to Numerical Value:
    Rather than looking at the bars, you can change the display of the 'signal strength' to read in real numbers. While at the home screen (ribbon), hold down the half moon ALT key while you type NMLL. The bars should change to read numbers. For the 'signal strength', if you are in the 100 area (that means -100 dBm), you will be transmitting at maximum power (2 Watts), and since coverage is hit and miss at this weak a signal, you may end up transmitting many times before the packets make it through. This might help explain any poorer than normal battery life. I consider anything at -90 to -50 excellent.
    To get the bars back: While at the home screen (ribbon), hold down the half moon ALT key while you type NMLL again.
    12-28-07 05:09 PM
    Reboot Your BlackBerry:
    ALT-CAP-Backspace will reboot your BB (hold down keys in succession, like a CTRL-ALT-DEL on your PC) no data will be lost.
    12-28-07 05:10 PM
    Copying Text Two Ways:
    To copy words or small phrases:

With any message open

Scroll the track wheel to the first letter of what you want to copy

Hold down the shift key and scroll the track wheel to highlight what you want

Press in on the track wheel and select Copy Selection

To copy paragraphs or full messages:

With any message open

Scroll the track wheel to the first letter of what you want to copy

Press the alt key (orange) and scroll the track wheel to highlight what you want

Press in on the track wheel and select Copy Selection
    To paste your copied text from either method just place your cursor where you want to put it, press in on the track wheel and select Paste Selection!
    12-28-07 05:12 PM
    Help Me Screen:
    Hold down the half moon ALT key -AND- the CAP key at the same time, then the letter 'h'. This brings up the "Help Me!" screen that lists version, app version, pin, imei, uptime, signal strength, battery level, file free, and file total.
    12-28-07 05:14 PM
    Event Log:
    Hold down the half moon ALT while you type LGLG. This brings up the event log where you can clear events (frees some memory) or view them or copy the contents to mail to someone.
    12-28-07 05:15 PM
    Deleting All Messages Prior to a Date:

In the inbox scroll to the date you want to delete prior messages from

Click in on the track wheel

Choose Delete Prior from the menu and push in on the track wheel

This can help you clean up your inbox quickly!
    Last edited by R33C3; 12-29-07 at 06:07 AM.
    12-28-07 05:15 PM
    Since Nobody Is Gunna Post, I'll Start
    12-28-07 05:22 PM
    To support more than one signature. Wipe out your auto-signature in the Redirector of the Desktop Software and just use 'AutoText' to configure alternate sigs.
    12-28-07 05:23 PM
    Navigating:

1) t: go to top of message listing

2) b: go to end/bottom of message listing

3) backspace: close message listing and return to home screen (ribbon)

4) spacebar: pagedown

5) cap + spacebar: pageup
    12-28-07 05:31 PM
    is there a way u can change the trackball color on the 8830?
    12-28-07 05:33 PM
    In the message list:

Space: For Page down
    T: For Top in the message list

In a message:

N: For next (more recent)
    P: For previous (older)
    12-28-07 05:39 PM
    Verizon Trick:
    Call ##000000 - CDMA Service Program Edit Screen

Call *228 (option 2) - Update PRL OTA (Preferred Roaming List - Over The Air).
    Call *22899 - Activate phone and update PRL OTA. No additional prompts. VZW customer support recommends this for just about any and every problem you could possibly call in with
    12-28-07 05:45 PM
    is there a way u can change the trackball color on the 8830?
    No, Sorry. Feature Only On BB Pearl!
    12-28-07 06:07 PM
    post some more i am having a ball trying all these things!!! mine is a sprint 8830 so the last 2 didnt work well for me!
    12-28-07 08:49 PM
    thanks, R33C3..love the signal strength tip!
    12-29-07 07:40 AM
    Great tips and tricks. Is there a way to get the battery strength to display as a percentage on the main/home screen, similar to the signal strength tip you gave? I know it can be viewed in Status (along w/ signal strength,etc.) and the PocketDay app will do this, but it would be cool if I could see this in the home screen, too. Thanks!
    12-29-07 11:13 AM
    Nice tips thanks!!
    12-29-07 04:15 PM
    Great tips and tricks. Is there a way to get the battery strength to display as a percentage on the main/home screen, similar to the signal strength tip you gave? I know it can be viewed in Status (along w/ signal strength,etc.) and the PocketDay app will do this, but it would be cool if I could see this in the home screen, too. Thanks!
    Since there seem to always be a million ways to do things on the BBs, I'm sure there's another solution. But, my solution was to go with the Binary theme. It displays both the signal strength and battery strength as percentages. I grabbed it from www(dot)themes4bb(dot)com.
    12-29-07 09:15 PM
    has anybody found a menu that would allow the modification of speaker power.
    in other words, blackberry allocates specific power levels to specific components to prioritize features while maximizing battery life...can this be edited?
    12-29-07 11:57 PM
    Change Battery Graph to Numerical Value:
    Rather than looking at the bars, you can change the display of the 'signal strength' to read in real numbers. While at the home screen (ribbon), hold down the half moon ALT key while you type NMLL. The bars should change to read numbers. For the 'signal strength', if you are in the 100 area (that means -100 dBm), you will be transmitting at maximum power (2 Watts), and since coverage is hit and miss at this weak a signal, you may end up transmitting many times before the packets make it through. This might help explain any poorer than normal battery life. I consider anything at -90 to -50 excellent.
    To get the bars back: While at the home screen (ribbon), hold down the half moon ALT key while you type NMLL again.
    To revert back to the bar signal strength a battery pull will do the same.
    12-30-07 01:56 PM
    has anybody found a menu that would allow the modification of speaker power.
    in other words, blackberry allocates specific power levels to specific components to prioritize features while maximizing battery life...can this be edited?
    Nope, Havent Found 1. Srry.
    Last edited by R33C3; 12-30-07 at 04:38 PM.
    12-30-07 04:25 PM
    thanks, R33C3..love the signal strength tip!
    Nice tips thanks!!
    Np! Glad I Could Help

Keep Checking Back As I Might {Prolly} Post Some More
    12-30-07 04:31 PM
181 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD