Blackberry 8830 suddenly won't accept gmail password - says invalid. bo8 shows up in left corner, as I continually try to enter the correct password, and it keeps telling me invalid password. So I changed password to my gmail acct several times, and BB says each and every one is invalid. So, I deleted that particular gmail address, and tried entering it into my BB 8830 again - now says address and password are invalid & advises me to contact gmail. When I view certificate, red x next to blackberry.com and says certificate expired 11/1/17. Not only that but I normally scroll back thru emails over the past few weeks, if I need old info; All of a sudden many, many emails plus a list of my recent phone calls have been deleted. Way to fix these issues? Is it time to replace my very dependable, familiar, very handy size blackberry with something else? If so, what is the recommended replacement(s)?
    09-11-18 01:23 AM
    Blackberry 8830 suddenly won't accept gmail password - says invalid. bo8 shows up in left corner, as I continually try to enter the correct password, and it keeps telling me invalid password. So I changed password to my gmail acct several times, and BB says each and every one is invalid. So, I deleted that particular gmail address, and tried entering it into my BB 8830 again - now says address and password are invalid & advises me to contact gmail. When I view certificate, red x next to blackberry.com and says certificate expired 11/1/17. Not only that but I normally scroll back thru emails over the past few weeks, if I need old info; All of a sudden many, many emails plus a list of my recent phone calls have been deleted. Way to fix these issues? Is it time to replace my very dependable, familiar, very handy size blackberry with something else? If so, what is the recommended replacement(s)?
    Key2
    09-11-18 06:25 AM
    Thanks. I see you are recommending I upgrade to a BB Key 2. To the best of your knowledge, is the Key 2 better and less problematic than the BB Key 1 ? Then, of course, I was asking a Verizon dealer at Costco today about the BB Key 2; The Rep predictably advised against the BB Key 1 and Key 2 and also the Iphone. Instead the Verizon Rep recommended Samsung smart phones: S9, S9+, S8, Note 8, Note 9. Now I realize this is a BB devotee site. I have been very devoted to and happy with the features, size, and ease of use of my little Blackberry 8830 (yes, over 10 years old!). But now this old device is deleting more of my received emails daily, won't validate email passwords, and well... I must find the best replacement that I will also be happy with like my little old BB 8830. A little about me: I am not very technically savvy, but fluidly have used the features of my over 10 year old BB 8830 (a model with no camera even). So, knowing all this additional info - what do ya 'all recommend I replace my fave phone with? BTW I have also been on Verizon's Prepaid Plan for several years..
    09-12-18 12:19 AM
    Chuckie's recommendation is perhaps a little bloody minded. There are already issues with the key2 starting to surface.

It depends on how far you want to go. You could upgrade all the way and hope for another 10 years or hop up slightly to a BB10 device in the full knowledge of where that will lead.

Ultimately whatever you do you'll need to accept that planned obsolescence is now the norm for all devices.
    09-12-18 06:00 AM
    Chuckie's recommendation is perhaps a little bloody minded. There are already issues with the key2 starting to surface.

It depends on how far you want to go. You could upgrade all the way and hope for another 10 years or hop up slightly to a BB10 device in the full knowledge of where that will lead.

Ultimately whatever you do you'll need to accept that planned obsolescence is now the norm for all devices.
    Why recommend someone to an OS they’ve never used and will be only disappointed with? I made the move to BB10 from BBOS over five years ago. It was awful transition since BB10 couldn’t do many things already present on BBOS. It took until 10.2.1 and 10.3.2 to recover some of those features. The move to BBAndroid is where longtime BBOS users should have been provided a jumping point to back in 2010.

Going back to OP and reason for my suggestion of Key2 was simple. Anyone that is carrying an 8830 in 2018 isn’t willing to spend much on a device on a per year basis. The Key2 is the latest PKB device out and has far higher abilities with memory and other requirements for long term use over the KEYone (year old and only will have Oreo) and Key2 LE(not available and cheaper build and lower memory) don’t really benefit extreme longevity.

That being said, OP is on VZW from reply post, so Key2 isn’t option. If OP really wants PKB, then options are CDMA KEYone for VZW or waiting for Key2 LE VZW model, if announced....

Issues exist with every new device released from any OEM. The issues are far less on any newer Android/IOS device than a newbie to BB10 would experience with any BB10 model. The reality is that if PKB isn’t primary feature, Android/IOS from other brand OEM makes the most sense. If VKB is OK, IOS device might even be a better deal specifically with VZW.
    09-12-18 07:39 AM
    Thanks. I see you are recommending I upgrade to a BB Key 2. To the best of your knowledge, is the Key 2 better and less problematic than the BB Key 1 ? Then, of course, I was asking a Verizon dealer at Costco today about the BB Key 2; The Rep predictably advised against the BB Key 1 and Key 2 and also the Iphone. Instead the Verizon Rep recommended Samsung smart phones: S9, S9+, S8, Note 8, Note 9. Now I realize this is a BB devotee site. I have been very devoted to and happy with the features, size, and ease of use of my little Blackberry 8830 (yes, over 10 years old!). But now this old device is deleting more of my received emails daily, won't validate email passwords, and well... I must find the best replacement that I will also be happy with like my little old BB 8830. A little about me: I am not very technically savvy, but fluidly have used the features of my over 10 year old BB 8830 (a model with no camera even). So, knowing all this additional info - what do ya 'all recommend I replace my fave phone with? BTW I have also been on Verizon's Prepaid Plan for several years..
    Please read my reply to other poster above. VZW as carrier limits your options with BBMo/TCL and BB.
    09-12-18 07:51 AM
    Ok, thanks, I am not very technically sophisticated for sure. I googled to figure out what a PKB device is. So, now I know what that term means. Sorry, for us older folks using older technology like my little old BB 8830, it is sometimes hard to understand the advanced terms you use. Doing my best though! Thanks for your patience with me.. I have mastered the BB 8830 and that type of phone suites me fine. I do have a back-up nearly new 2nd BB 8830, I got out of the closet last night (no data on it yet). I thought it would be simple, as I have done successful sync's to my desktop over the years. I fired up the newer BB 8830 last night, with a new battery - success! But...
    I want to simply transfer all the data from my old 8830 phone to my nearly new BB 8830. Trouble is my old BB 8830 will not sync to my desktop anymore, so that I may transfer all the
    address book/calendar to my newer BB 8830. I tried the old Blackberry user tools CD, and I also tried the new disk supplied with my newer BB 8830. No dice. Neither CD will successfully load to my desktop, so that I can successfully sync all the data to my newer phone. BB website says: "BlackBerry Desktop Manager is no longer supported by BlackBerry." So, in your expert option, how do I get the address book + my fully entered calendar schedule transferred to my newer second BB 8830. Thank you for your patience with me, since I am not very technically advanced. Can you advise how to get all the data to my newer BB 8830, if the BlackBerry Desktop Manager no longer functions? I am hoping this is an easy task for someone who can advise me on how to seamlessly do it. At "my level" I am considering that my 2nd newer BB 8830 may again serve me well for several more years - if I could just know how to transfer the data to it. Otherwise, I would have to go thru the painstaking process of entering everything all over again (like my friend did when she lost her phone in the lake and did not sync it previously). Make sense to use the fresher blackberry? Or do you advise me to get a particular more updated smart phone to use with my pre-paid Verizon plan? A Blackberry or Samsung particular models perhaps? I just like the way my old Blackberry 8830 always worked for me and it's size, even though it doesn't have a camera... And, you are right, I think I understand you to be saying that "planned obsolescence" may be a reality with all phones. So, true, I am reluctant to spend a lot for a phone that I may not like or will eventually become obsolete anyway. So, if someone can instruct me exactly how to transfer the data, can I just use my fresher BB 8830 for at least a few more years? And what will the successful method be to sync its data to my desktop... Thank you for your answers and very helpful advice!!
    09-12-18 10:09 PM
    Unfortunately you may missed the boat as far as transferring data is concerned. You're first test is to fire up the new phone and see if it has the same problems as the old. If so, then the issue is support termination and there's nout you can do but pick another device and manually set up your contacts etc.
    09-13-18 02:19 PM
    Thank you. I just stopped by the Verizon store today and the Rep there informed me: The towers are all changing as soon as 3 months from now to 5G so I won't be able to use either of my 3G blackberry 8830's after that (my handy BB's becoming obsolete now); If I get another prepaid phone I will have to change my number (NO), Flip phone users will be forced to buy updated compatible phones (No Choice); This Rep states the store can do a "hard transfer" copy of the data from my 3G BB 8830 to a new $240. Samsung Galaxy J7 V 2nd Gen post-paid phone (Hope so). This is the phone she advised me to get if I do not want to pay a whole lot more, but I have not purchased it just yet. I am not completely sure I will like it, so I'll keep the price down. So, bottom line, I guess I will end up with one practically new & unused BB 8830 + one well used BB 8830 that can be my back up data storage unit. Let me know of any further comments you may have
    09-14-18 01:00 AM