Hey guys, i have recently got a 8830we, and since then ive put in my sim card, and i see searching for gsm and then no service or theres an x by the signal icon, ive tried putting it in manual mode, automatic and scans for a new network, but the scan stops after 2 seconds. I cant make any calls, access anything.out of the network but last year the phone was working fine, ive tried quickpull, wiping, diagnostics,says apn list empty, everything but with nothing works. i love this phone but its brought me nothing so far just frustration has anyone ever had this problem. i need help!
    11-13-10 04:25 PM
    If you are in North America, the 8830 will only work on CDMA networks. The GSM radio in the 8830 only works on European GSM frequencies. If someone sold it to you to use on North American GSM carriers, you should return it. It can't done.
    11-13-10 04:37 PM
    If you are in North America, the 8830 will only work on CDMA networks. The GSM radio in the 8830 only works on European GSM frequencies. If someone sold it to you to use on North American GSM carriers, you should return it. It can't done.
    Thank you for the speedy reply im from the caribbean so we use gsm mainly, the carrier has the right band for the phone 900/1800 and they said that the phone can work in their database, but im just not getting any bars, ive tried the sim card in other phones and it has worked. so im still confused
    11-13-10 04:42 PM
    Caribbean countries are considered part of North America.
    11-13-10 04:49 PM
    Caribbean countries are considered part of North America.
    im aware of that,they usually say central america (americas) tho. but someone has used the phone already,in the caribbean under digicel (about last year) and it worked perfectly, so i know it can work dont know whats causing this
    11-13-10 04:57 PM
    I'm not familiar with digicel, and a brief wikipedia search seemed to show they have both CDMA and GSM networks. If that's correct, do you know which network the previous owner used?
    11-13-10 05:38 PM
    I'm not familiar with digicel, and a brief wikipedia search seemed to show they have both CDMA and GSM networks. If that's correct, do you know which network the previous owner used?
    The owner used GSM network (digicel grenada) 900/1800 thats the same network i am trying to connect to.
    11-13-10 06:58 PM
    *update* i tried testing the antenna by turning it off and trying to make a call so the blackberry service can turn it on through the system and now i am getting this "timeout waiting for radio" prompt when the network opens anyone knows what it means?
    11-13-10 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD