Hi Everyone,

I bought an unlocked Blackberry 8820 off ebay in December. I have tried reading multiple forums between now and then to figure out how to upgrade the OS on my 8820. Every time I try to upgrade my OS, the blackberry gets nuked.

Here is the problem. The phone is an "Orange" make, but I use ATT here in the states. I am not sure which OS version to download to use to upgrade, use ATT OS or Orange OS because the phone is made by orange.

The current OS I have is: v4.2.2.184 (Platform 2.5.0.40)

Whenever it gets nuked, I just use the default/general blackberry 8800/8820 OS to get the phone running again. The OS download that I have used is called "8820M_PBr4.2.2_rel338_PL2.5.0.40_A4.2.2.184_RIM.e xe"

I really need to know what OS to download and use so that the OS can upgrade without nuking the phone. Please provide links if possible. Thanks so much!

PS: with an upgraded OS, will the browser be more like the newer browsers (8900, etc.) AND will I be able to watch youtube videos on it? (this OS doesn't have java!

THANKS!
    08-02-09 08:41 PM
    PS: do we have to bump threads? anyone please help. Thanks!
    08-03-09 02:53 PM
    Look for 4.5.0.161 OS, I use it on my 8820, stable and good. Carrier name shouldn't matter, just make sure you delete the "vendor.xml" file, that will allow it to load onto any carrier. It sounds like you are trying to load without removing the vendor.xml out of the new OS. You will find a d/l link and instructions in this forum..Good luck..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-09 04:10 PM
    I installed the new OS... deleted vendor.xml and it froze during the upgrade (nuked)... I installed my old OS, deleted vendor.xml, installed new OS, and deleted new vendor.xml and still didn't work. thanks but i guess it didn't work

anyone else have any suggestions? I have reverted to the OS mentioned previously
    08-09-09 12:16 PM
    I have the same problem that you, i have a BB 8800, its a vodafone unlocked blackberry but i use SIMYO ni Spain, and everytime i tried to upgrade the OS BB nukes and still i havent found a solution.
    Deleting vendor.xml doesnt work, could be another archive tha its making upgrade impossible?
    08-11-09 12:35 PM
    I installed the new OS... deleted vendor.xml and it froze during the upgrade (nuked)... I installed my old OS, deleted vendor.xml, installed new OS, and deleted new vendor.xml and still didn't work. thanks but i guess it didn't work

anyone else have any suggestions? I have reverted to the OS mentioned previously
    Have you tried wiping the BB using JL_Cmder first and then load the new OS?
    08-11-09 12:56 PM
    Dont know if he has, but i have done it and it doesnt work, I try to install after wiping and the BB gets nuked... i have to reinstall the pervious version and it works without any problem
    08-13-09 04:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD