Hi all.... I will shortly be acquiring a Red 8830 from Verizon. I currently have a Q that is hooked up to my small company's exchange server. I've read a ton of threads here and done some research online, and it seems that Blackberry Internet Service is the easiest way to set up your email. I've also seen discussed in a few places that the Desktop Redirector sometimes has its share of issues.

For those of you that use the Blackberry to receive work emails while you're on the road, I'm just wondering if you've been well served by using BIS. I'm most concerned with delays in getting emails. Currently, I get emails on my Q even before they appear in my desktop outlook. I recognize there will be delay since it has to go through BIS, and I'm fine with a couple of minutes.... but closer to 10 minutes would be too much.

Thanks in advance.
    02-14-08 02:15 PM
    BIS is fine for me. The 15 minute (or so ) polling interval doesn't matter. What's more important is the reply, from my perspective. That gets synched to my sent folder.

If you are not concerned with OTA synch of you calendar, tasks, contacts etc. BIS will work.
    02-14-08 02:21 PM
    I would agree with ralarosa, using the BIS to check Outlook-based work email is more than adequate. I have heard from some that Verizon wants a BB user to go to the higher data plan if the customer is going to be directly connecting into their Outlook server. However, I've found that if you just use the web version of your Outlook mail, you'll be fine.

Hope this helps,

James
    02-14-08 02:41 PM
    Thanks.... I'm not thrilled with 15 minutes of lag time, but we'll see how it goes, I guess. I do have 30 days to return it after I buy it.
    02-14-08 02:48 PM
    I actually get mine on my 8830WE before I get them in Outlook, most of the time. So I have never had any issues with it. Works great.

Derek
    02-14-08 03:19 PM
    Wow, that's great to hear BgDM. Thanks for your post. Hopefully, it will be just as snappy for me.
    02-14-08 03:26 PM
    I use BIS and emails hit my BB quicker than my desktop. No lag.
    02-14-08 04:14 PM
    No problems here, a little bit getting it configured but I have 2 work and 1 personal all work fine and like they said above the timing is fine
    02-14-08 08:01 PM
    BIS works fine for me. There is a little delay but as said earlier, sometimes it hits my BB before my desktop.

BIS is fine for me. The 15 minute (or so ) polling interval doesn't matter. What's more important is the reply, from my perspective. That gets synched to my sent folder.

If you are not concerned with OTA synch of you calendar, tasks, contacts etc. BIS will work.
    Ralarosa....how are you syncing items sent from your BB to your sent folder in outlook?
    02-14-08 09:44 PM
    I read some posts and someone stated that they get a copy of the sent mail in their Outlook using BIS. I am assuming this means the sent mail from bb to sent mail folder in outlook. I didn't think this was possible with BIS

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-08 11:59 PM
    I read some posts and someone stated that they get a copy of the sent mail in their Outlook using BIS. I am assuming this means the sent mail from bb to sent mail folder in outlook. I didn't think this was possible with BIS

You can get some more information about the sent items on BB and BIS in this thread: Syncing 8830 IMAP BIS
    02-15-08 12:18 AM
    Ralarosa....how are you syncing items sent from your BB to your sent folder in outlook?
    BIS 2.4 allows for 2-way sync, I'm not doing anything special.
    02-15-08 07:06 AM

Yes, BIS most certainly does this natively. With the next release of BIS RIM stated that they would also implement bidirectional sync. By this I mean that when you delete from the mailbox, it also deletes on the handheld. Currently that's not possible. Currently email deletions on the handheld are sync'd to the mailbox's Deleted Items, but not the other way around.
    02-15-08 09:58 AM
    Just to clarify, the above is not the case when your BB is configured as an IMAP4 client. It may be true if you use POP3, I've not tried POP3 on my BB so I can't be absolutely sure, but I believe you.
    02-15-08 10:56 AM
    Red, If lag time is this serious of an issue for you, you can forward your email to your @verizon.blackberry.net address and receive it instantaneously on your BB. Be sure to change your "Reply to" address on the BIS website to your work address so that when you send emails from the BB, your recipients will reply to the correct address. This is the way I have it set up and it works perfectly for me.
    02-15-08 11:23 AM
    Thanks jabruno. I assume it's fairly easy to set up the email to forward to the BB address. I think I'll try seeing how long it takes for work email to show up first.... but if it's too long, I'll definitely go the forwarding route.

Good.... I was praying this wouldn't be a reason for me not to get a BB.
    02-15-08 02:20 PM
    I've read with interest the folks with BIS with no lag time. I experienced times of between 10-15 minutes. When I forwarded emails to my sprint.blackberry.net account, everything still downloaded to my outlook regardless of whether I received, answered and ultimately deleted of the BB an email. I switched to a BES and now all is right with the email world.

I own a small company and couldn't afford a large, corporate BES. There's plenty of 3rd party companies out there that host BES for small businesses.
    02-15-08 08:04 PM
    Yes, BIS most certainly does this natively. With the next release of BIS RIM stated that they would also implement bidirectional sync. By this I mean that when you delete from the mailbox, it also deletes on the handheld. Currently that's not possible. Currently email deletions on the handheld are sync'd to the mailbox's Deleted Items, but not the other way around.
    Your statement is not true. The current BIS supports deleting emails off of the handheld that have been deleted from the mailbox. I delete emails from my inbox (via Thunderbird) and those messages get deleted from my handheld. It sometimes takes a few polling cycles from BIS to my IMAP server for BIS to zap 'em off my handheld, but it does do it.
    02-16-08 12:00 PM
    I've read with interest the folks with BIS with no lag time. I experienced times of between 10-15 minutes. When I forwarded emails to my sprint.blackberry.net account, everything still downloaded to my outlook regardless of whether I received, answered and ultimately deleted of the BB an email. I switched to a BES and now all is right with the email world.

I own a small company and couldn't afford a large, corporate BES. There's plenty of 3rd party companies out there that host BES for small businesses.
    How many Berris do you have? You can get BES Express (one license) for free and I think upto 15 for $100 each.
    02-16-08 03:14 PM
    Your statement is not true. The current BIS supports deleting emails off of the handheld that have been deleted from the mailbox. I delete emails from my inbox (via Thunderbird) and those messages get deleted from my handheld. It sometimes takes a few polling cycles from BIS to my IMAP server for BIS to zap 'em off my handheld, but it does do it.
    I don't seem to have the same luck as camattin. My IMAP4 server does not delete message off my BB when deleted from my Thunderbird client. The other way around, yes. This is a case by case situation, as not all IMAP4 servers are set up the same way, with different capabilities and configurations.

Now if we could just have sent messages sync'd using BIS and IMAP4.

I keep hearing that this will be possible in the new 4.3 software, we'll see...
    02-16-08 04:02 PM
    I don't seem to have the same luck as camattin. My IMAP4 server does not delete message off my BB when deleted from my Thunderbird client. The other way around, yes. This is a case by case situation, as not all IMAP4 servers are set up the same way, with different capabilities and configurations.

Now if we could just have sent messages sync'd using BIS and IMAP4.

I keep hearing that this will be possible in the new 4.3 software, we'll see...
    Are you purging your messages immediately after you delete them from you MUA? The behavior seems not quite so consistent if I purge. If I just delete (move to trash), it works fine.

Sent folder syncing works ... when I send a message from my BB it shows up in my sent folder... for both my IMAP4 account and my hotmail account.

Unfortunately, I had to enable altnamespaces because BIS doesn't support the namespace command. I realize a lot of people aren't able to reconfigure their IMAP server to get around the BIS limitations... but it does need to be said that the current BIS and OS versions support the 2-way sync. You just have to work w/in the limits.
    02-16-08 05:01 PM

I am still having this problem with a blackberry Bold. BIS will delete the email from the mailbox if it's deleted on the Bold, but if I delete the email via Thunderbird, (also using IMAP4), it doesn't get deleted from the email folder on the Bold unless I do so manually. What am I missing on "the world's best email machine"?
    05-07-09 12:04 PM
    I know my avitar says Bold/ATT but I also use an 8830 for work..

Most the people that complain about the 15 min lag are set up through a pop account through there exchange server. If you make sure that your server is properly configured for IMAP, more often than not you will actually get the emails on your bb before they show up on your desk top. (Speaking from experience). So to answer your question BIS will work perfect for you, as long as your not concerned about wireless sync of calendar, task, memos (others have stated this in the thread)

05-07-09 02:21 PM
    Well not exactly. Two way sync doesn't seem to work,... meaning if I delete an email via Thunderbird that is already on the BB, the deletion does not take effect on the BB. I get to delete the email twice!
    05-07-09 07:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD