Ok so I made the mistake of "accepting" the agreement and it downloaded.

Now my available memory has plumetted to almost nothing.

Is this something that can be deleted vai DM?
    01-26-10 02:22 PM
    I read somewhere in the forums that Bing can use the internal GPS in a Verizon 8830. Could you check that before you delete Bing? I assume you can delete it with DM. You can also delete it from Options / Advanced Options / Applications on your 8830.
    01-26-10 03:32 PM
    I read somewhere in the forums that Bing can use the internal GPS in a Verizon 8830. Could you check that before you delete Bing? I assume you can delete it with DM. You can also delete it from Options / Advanced Options / Applications on your 8830.
    Ok, before I deleted it, it was asking me if I wanted to use my "current location" for searches. So I have to say yes. Unfortunately, I re-installed it to answer your question. And the answer is yes, it allowed me to "turn on" my GPS locator from only 911. However, it was extremely painfully slow.

I am now uninstalling it again.

BTW, I have a Verizon 8830.
    01-26-10 08:08 PM
    Thank you for taking one for the team! That's very good to know. Too bad Verizon and Google couldn't have come to terms. That would have benefited many more 8830 users than Bing, and Google Maps is reasonably fast on an 8830.

I had a Verizon 8830 before my current Verizon Tour.
    01-26-10 08:37 PM
    No problem. It was easy enough to delete a second time. I hate my 8830. The memory is really bad on it. As soon as i loaded it the memory took a dump and was left with hardly any.

If there was a way to delete the actual browser and just keep bing I might be willing to try that.

Although, the speed on the maps was extremely slow. I know someone with the Tour and it was really good. Especially since the turn by turn directions feature was active and free via Bing. Reguarlly it is $9/mnth from Verizon.
    01-27-10 12:21 PM
    The 8830 has less available memory than most 64MB devices. I assume that's because of the extra code for the GSM capability, but I don't know that for a fact. If you haven't performed Reed McLay's Memory Optimization Procedure, you should. It'll really help free up memory.
    How to Increase BlackBerry's File Free Memory

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 12:30 PM
    The problem I have is that I can't make too many changes to my 8830. I have a Mac and run DM for MAC. It limits how much I can delete. Which really pisses me off. As it is now, I am running bare bones and only have 9.8 bytes free. I am rebooting 2 times a day, cleaning memory constantly.

Verizon is so pathetic, I can't even get pictures sent to me without having to log on the internet to see them.

The last time I went in to DM it upgraded my OS to 4.5.0.175 and now I have this extremely annoying "chirp" every 5 minutes I'm on the phone. So far no one has been able to solve this issue for me.

thoughts?
    Besides buying another BB. LOL!!!
    01-27-10 02:01 PM
    The lack of MMS is a known (and very frustrating) limitation of the Verizon 8830. Apparently Verizon concluded you would not need MMS in a device without a camera. I never used 4.5.0.175. When I replaced my 8830, I was using 4.5.0.161, I think it was, downloaded from Telus. It worked pretty well. The biggest limitation was the inability to edit CrackBerry posts using the BlackBerry Browser. But it didn't chirp.

I generally recommend Mac users get a Windows machine for OS operations. RIM has only recently come out with DM for Mac, and I don't have any experience with it.
    01-27-10 02:07 PM
    How did you remove Bing from your BB. I cannot find the files to remove.

I second that the annoying *** chirp that the OS upgrade had provided. I hope it is worked out before I do my BB upgrade in the spring
    01-31-10 05:54 PM
    I was able to remove it by using DM. However, the memory was still not back to the amount it was before I tried Bing. I also had to clear the content store. I guess bing behaves like many Microsoft programs. You remove it, but it still isn't gone completely.

The GPS also worked for me. The satellite view is nice, but the memory use Bing requires is too high.
    02-01-10 01:28 PM
    Bing isn't alone in leaving remnants behind. Simply reinstalling an OS can often recover several megabytes of memory that was lost as apps were installed and deleted. On an 8830, several megabytes is a big deal.
    02-01-10 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD