OK, so here's the thing...

I'm still learning about the bells and whistles on my device and I'm feeling pretty confident about most things. EXCEPT the whole GPS issue. I've used my little yellow eTrex for geocaching and such forever, but now I really NEED a GPS function on my BB for travel. And this leaves me questioning my sanity. I really HATE treading new waters, and the fact that I know NOTHING about GPS....GRRRrrr! I need some guidance from those of you who have some experience with this bugger!

I've read every forum and post I can find about what to use, what works, what doesn't work, fee based, non fee based, software, this, that,etc., all clumped up in between the rants of the frustrated! I've visited a bazillion websites selling "just what I need" and now?

I'm more confused than I hoped I would be at this point.

I know I need a puck and software, or a combination thereof for my VZW 8830. I'm wondering what any of you use, and why you chose it over something else.

I see Garmin has a device that has (if I read it right) software as part of the actual device. This is a subscription service as well. Then I see there are others that you can used with whichever software you choose. Are there non-subscription "all in one" devices? How do you know what is compatible?

Oh sheesh! At this point, I wonder if I remember how to tie my shoes or ride a bike! I feel like a complete ditz!

What would be an easy option for a newbie like me? Price range is my second concern. Getting something that works is primary!

Thank you-Thank you- Thank you in advance for sharing your wisdom!!

Jobelle
    10-19-07 02:01 AM
    Buy a Tom Tom. They're the best. In my opinion you don't want the GPS on the phone anyway. I use my phone so much for actual talking and emails that I don't need it to do GPS as well. Good luck.
    10-19-07 06:23 AM
    What if you're on vacation and you're walking around and all of a sudden want some coffee or you're even wondering what restaurant is close to you. Wouldn't it be nice to bust out your 8830 with working GPS and InfoSpace on it and look up what's close to where you're standing.

No offence, but people need to take the blinders off on this subject because here are so many more uses for GPS on this phone. I guess in your case you'd rather ask someone for wrong directions or walk all the way back to your car to use your Tom Tom?

Do this, the next time you need to know where you are, call up 611 on your VZW 8830 and ask for directions. When the rep tells you that they can't help ask for a manager and ask them for directions. When he has that surprised sound in his voice tell him you wouldn't have to call them if they wouldn't have locked down GPS on the phone. I've done it...
    10-19-07 10:15 AM
    JoBell, Don't mind JRSCCIVIC98. He's angry. Go buy a Tom Tom. If the Tom Tom is out of your budget there are several other good GPS map systems out there. If you're on vacation in a location you don't know you probably have the Tom Tom with you anyway. And if you don't know the place and you really want coffee, or something good to eat, ask someone local that you trust. You'll find the best places that way. Of course if you travel a lot you already know that. Good luck with your choices.

JRSCCivic98, it's not a matter of having blinders on. It's a matter of educating ones self before making a purchase. I did. You're signature doesn't say what carrier you are with. But the venom with which you attack VZW begs one to assume that at a minimun you used their services at some point in time. There are other choices in both carriers and devices to use. If you're that unhappy, perhaps it's time for a change. Good luck to you as well.
    10-19-07 08:15 PM
    Try Infospace Find it! Its a great application which if ur gps was unabled (unfortunate for vzn users) it actually locates u.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-08 07:43 AM
    I would suggest a separate gps device (bluetooth capable) paired with your bb. With these two gadgets you can't miss anything whether you're driving or just walking around. Even if vzw would offer gps for free on bb, I still prefer to use a separate device. BTW.. I use garmin nuvi 660.
    01-13-08 09:12 AM
    Have you tried the new Google Maps. It tracks your approximate location with your radio use. It is actually very accurate. Then if you need directions, you can pull over to any place, or just find the address of a building close to where you are, and type it in, then enter the ending address, or location and you are done. I have used Google Maps instead of a GPS quite a few times. For example, I was at Denver International Airport, and I needed to know how to get from there to my hotel in Breckingridge. I literally typed in DIA in the start address and typed in the name of the hotel and the city, and I was on my way. The GPS system that the car renatal company supplied us with was crap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-08 10:35 AM
    I have two points that make Verizons strategy not only flawed but possibly illegal. 1. The in store placard for the 8830 list GPS among the features. The sales people will tell you that GPS is referring to VZ navigation. However GPS stands for Global Positioning System and is a system of satellites that send out a signal for position finding anywhere on the globe. VZNavigator uses distance calculations from cell towers and only works in the US. Simply put, VZNavigator is not part of the GPS system, nor does it use the GPS system for positioning and since the true GPS in the phone is not usable, it is not GPS capable as advertised. 2. Advertising guide lines are regulated according to �reasonable interpretation�. The 8830 is marketed by Verizon as a �World Phone� with GPS (Global Positioning System). It would be a �reasonable interpretation� to assume that such a �World Phone� with a Global Positioning System would be able to function globally, and not just in the US.
    Has anyone tried suing them based on this? I think it would be an easy win for subscribers if the complaint was logged as described above.
    03-04-08 01:17 PM
    Oh yes, and to the "Just go buy a Tom Tom" quote. Like VZNavigator, TomTom's only come with US maps. What if he wants to take a trip to Europe or Brazil? Good News!! The Blackberry Maps has you covered! To bad you can't use it because Verizon won't let you. Why won't they let you? Simple, how can they get you to pay $9.95 a month for VZNavigator that only works in some parts of the US when your 8830 comes with a GPS system that works anywhere in the world for free?
    03-04-08 01:21 PM
    I ended up getting the tiny GPS Keychain 2000 (external puck) and have full use of GoogleMaps, BB Maps, and Nav4All. Right now my favorite for navigation is Nav4All with its very simple and bold navigation arrows AND SPOKEN directions! (Over 50 languages...) Works great and minimizes data useage. I keep it plugged in the car and it's able to keep the screen lit all the time. It also recalculates the route automatically if you miss a turn or decide to use a different road. The only gripe I have is its very limited help manual. And it's FREE (for now anyway).
    03-04-08 05:18 PM
    I use VZW's Navigator...I can tell you for all the traveling I do for personal and business, having GPS ON my phone vs., carrying around a GPS device works better for my luggage and my purse!

For $9.99/mo, having the convenience is priceless!
    03-04-08 05:48 PM
    For most of my travel I use the built in navigation system in my Maxima. When traveling on the left coast I use Copilot on my laptop with a Bluetooth puck. I have played with BB and Google maps with the puck paired to my 8830 but find the screen so small and the map changes so slow as to be unuseable for real navigation while driving. I suppose walking around it would be useful on the phone but I'm too old to enjoy walking much further than from the parking lot to the bar :-)
    03-04-08 06:11 PM
    The VZNavigator is one of the better voice driven ways to get about when in VZW coverage. I filed a complaint at the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) after going to an 'extended' coverage area only to find the VZNav program did not function and my GPS didn't either. All that in spite of having full data and email functions of my phone. VZW said it was 'cause I wasn't on their network but on extended network.

They are now having to reply to the FCC about my complaint as we were in blizzard conditions for several days and needed the device. I asked either the GPS be turned on to be used or fix their server to provide service.

Others should look into filing with the FCC when they have a legitimate case for it.
    Last edited by jeeves; 03-05-08 at 03:22 AM.
    03-04-08 06:33 PM
    Let us know what happens.
    03-05-08 12:12 PM
    My husband and I both have the Garmin c330 portable GPS systems. The price has been reduced a great deal, since it came out before the latest breed of super-thin models (but it's still small). It still works like a charm, with no monthly fees, all maps preloaded, and if you want to fully update it, then I believe there's a charge for that. I've yet to do that in the 2 years that I own it. This Garmin model has been rated very highly, and it outrates a lot of the other "big boys" out there.

Since the Garmin also works on battery power alone, we used one of them on a recent trip to Washington, DC, by holding it in our hands and letting it guide us as we walked! It worked great for that, too. These units are currently selling for $148.65 at amazon.com, with free shipping...well worth it. My little unit has literally changed my life. I am no longer afraid to drive to parts unknown, and I NEVER get lost. I sincerely don't know what I'd do without it. I actually prefer having a separate GPS unit rather than using the one on the BBerry (that is, if it WAS useable)!!
    03-05-08 01:31 PM
    Granted, but I think everyone can agree that in a "pinch" it would be nice to just say "Wait, I have GPS on the phone". Wouldn't that be nice. After all, we don't all have Batman utility belts to keep the phone, separate gps unit, etc. with us all the time. Even keychain GPS dongles aren't always good solutions. With today's technologies of digital locks for both buildings and cars, keys and keychains aren't always carried by individuals.
    03-05-08 03:41 PM
    Granted, but I think everyone can agree that in a "pinch" it would be nice to just say "Wait, I have GPS on the phone". Wouldn't that be nice. After all, we don't all have Batman utility belts to keep the phone, separate gps unit, etc. with us all the time. Even keychain GPS dongles aren't always good solutions. With today's technologies of digital locks for both buildings and cars, keys and keychains aren't always carried by individuals.
    Agreed. BUT... we take SO much for granted. I'm sitting here (unfortunately sick at home) with my BB next to me, texting people, checking emails, answering phone calls, and using programs on the BB... while I'm on my laptop writing this, downloading things, and ordering something online... all wirelessly. I think that we sometimes need to just sit back and realize that even 10 years ago, so much of the technology, or the complexity of the technology that we have now, didn't exist. We should probably be in awe of everything that our current technology can do (it's pretty amazing, after all)... but instead (myself included) we always seem to want it faster, better, smaller, more features...when will we ever be satisfied??
    03-05-08 04:05 PM
    when will we ever be satisfied??
    Never. We always want more and for less. You can't ever have too much technology. I embrace it. BTW, I just got a live message that my pizza is in delivery process and according to the pizza guy's GPS transciever in his car he's about a mile from my house. If I time it just right, by the time I get to the door he'll be holding his finger out to push the doorbell. I don't even have to reach for money because it was paid for w/tip ahead of time online.
    03-05-08 07:22 PM
    BTW, I just got a live message that my pizza is in delivery process and according to the pizza guy's GPS transciever in his car he's about a mile from my house. If I time it just right, by the time I get to the door he'll be holding his finger out to push the doorbell. I don't even have to reach for money because it was paid for w/tip ahead of time online.
    Who can argue with that kind of progress?? I'm all for it!!
    03-05-08 07:47 PM
    I just downloaded Nav4all, I use a freedom 2000 with my vzw 8830 I like it already
    03-05-08 09:55 PM
    I have two points that make Verizons strategy not only flawed but possibly illegal. 1. The in store placard for the 8830 list GPS among the features. The sales people will tell you that GPS is referring to VZ navigation. However GPS stands for Global Positioning System and is a system of satellites that send out a signal for position finding anywhere on the globe. VZNavigator uses distance calculations from cell towers and only works in the US. Simply put, VZNavigator is not part of the GPS system, nor does it use the GPS system for positioning and since the true GPS in the phone is not usable, it is not GPS capable as advertised. 2. Advertising guide lines are regulated according to �reasonable interpretation�. The 8830 is marketed by Verizon as a �World Phone� with GPS (Global Positioning System). It would be a �reasonable interpretation� to assume that such a �World Phone� with a Global Positioning System would be able to function globally, and not just in the US.
    Has anyone tried suing them based on this? I think it would be an easy win for subscribers if the complaint was logged as described above.

teddyZ,
    i just filed a complaint with the FCC explaining your points as well as my points. I think you are entirely correct and this was pretty much the basis of my original thoughts. We will see what comes of this. i will keep all posted
    03-16-08 11:54 AM
    I am not defending verizon (I have a separate puck) but it may be that the entire gps-thing is available for 911 type searches and calls. So they can maintain that the gps will help locate you in an emergency and that it is not otherwise required?????

I think their policy is lame and they should just open it up. But multiply accounts by $10/month and they are not moving very fast.
    03-16-08 01:50 PM
    Well VZW admitted to the FCC, who rejected my complaint, that they were NOT GPS and using a locator based on their towers. The answering party was a Bernadette Tucker, Executive Relations for Verizon West. and she stated that:

VZ Navigator is a Location Based Service (LBS). That LBS encompass a range of services enabled whena a mobile devise is aware of it location or when a wireless network is aware of the location of the mobile device. LBS is available as Mobile-Initiated.

She also noted: "Verizon Wireless informs that a phone is not a stand-alone GPS device." "The handset alone does not support initiate any kind of individual tracking capability." "The phone will only initiate tracking functionality on it's own when 911 is dialed, however additional LBS applications are available for some handsetss that provide tracking funtionality, such as VZ Navigator, and Chaperone srvice."

They convinced the FCC to dismiss and I would have hire a lawyer and go to court with them in order to file 'formal Charges'.

So there you have it. The bottom line is the Blackberry 8830 does NOT have GPS!
    Last edited by jeeves; 04-12-08 at 05:07 PM. Reason: typing error
    04-12-08 05:06 PM
    Anyone know if Nav4all works with the 8130? Their website only lists the 8100...
    04-16-08 05:28 PM
    But I can say that Google Maps is nice function, for free, that in the end is "Good enough".

I can pull out my phone, type in a search (let's say Panera's). From there I can get:

1. A map showing all the Panera's within a 10 mile radius.

2. A listing of the type of food and approximate charges for the items there.

3. The telephone number of the particular location.

4. Directions to the Panera's I would like to visit.

Pretty good deal considering what I am paying for it.

P.S. I am using this for leisure only. If I was looking to find places for business it might make a difference.
    Last edited by Sammythebarber; 04-17-08 at 12:30 PM.
    04-17-08 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD