Forgive me if i'm a little late to the game on this one...

I keep reading that people are using "the4.5 Beta AS".

What are the pros/cons to running it and does one go about downloading it?

Thanks.
    12-23-08 06:41 PM
    It is a Beta, so you would need to search for it. Google would probably be your best bet.
    12-23-08 06:54 PM
    It's ok. When you read that we are using 4.5 "beta" means the OS hasn't been carrier passed. RIM makes them to keep the OS's for each phone as up to date as possible. It's up to the carriers to decide if they want to "officially" release the OS to their users or not.

I've been running 4.5.0.77 for about 3 mths now without a problem and if you would like to do so, there are many helpful threads here that will help you upgrade/downgrade if you choose. Also as far as finding the "beta" OS's, google is your friend.
    Last edited by ediggity; 12-23-08 at 07:02 PM. Reason: fixed link
    12-23-08 06:56 PM
    It's ok. When you read that we are using 4.5 "beta" means the OS hasn't been carrier passed. RIM makes them to keep the OS's for each phone as up to date as possible. It's up to the carriers to decide if they want to "officially" release the OS to their users or not.

I've been running 4.5.0.77 for about 3 mths now without a problem and if you would like to do so, there are many helpful threads here that will help you upgrade/downgrade if you choose. Also as far as finding the "beta" OS's, google is your friend.
    Thanks for that.
    Whats the diff between 5.5.0.077 and 101 and 33? So there seem to be numerous versions...
    Also, what is the general benefit of upgrading to this Beta version?
    12-23-08 07:00 PM
    Thanks for that.
    Whats the diff between 5.5.0.077 and 101 and 33? So there seem to be numerous versions...
    Also, what is the general benefit of upgrading to this Beta version?
    I'd go with .77 and then check JRSCCivic's stick in this forum for the ringtone help. Basically when a higher OS comes out it's supposed to be a an upgrade to the previous version. RIM changed from 4.2/3 to 4.5 which enabled HTML emails to be viewed on your phone among other things, but it isn't just within the OS. They also had to upgrade their BIS systems as well, but that's another topic. Other reasons include helping memory leaks (I still have a little) and just all-around things with the phone, so it's up to you.

I would definitely say the biggest reason now, as you will find in other threads in this forum is the unlocking of the GPS. The 4.5 OS allows BB Maps to pinpoint your location to within a few meters...
    Last edited by ediggity; 12-23-08 at 07:23 PM.
    12-23-08 07:12 PM
    I'd go with .77 and then check JRSCCivic's stick in this forum for the ringtone help. Basically when a higher OS comes out it's supposed to be a an upgrade to the previous version. RIM changed from 4.2/3 to 4.5 which enabled HTML emails to viewed on your phone among other things, but it isn't just within the OS. They also had to upgrade their BIS systems as well, but that's another topic. Other reasons include helping memory leaks (I still have a little) and just all-around things with the phone, so it's up to you.

I would definitely say the biggest reason now, as you will find in other threads in this forum is the unlocking of the GPS. The 4.5 OS allows BB Maps
    to pinpoint your location to within a few meters...
    Is this the same version I can now get directly off of Blackberry's site?
    Also, i use BES, do I need to do something differently than BIS users?
    12-23-08 07:20 PM
    That was the question I forgot to ask lol

from the the 101 series: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os

..."If you're on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) you should check in with an IT representative before attempting to upgrade your smartphone's handheld software, because some IT policies can block or partially block a new OS install."

EDIT: Yes it's the same from the BB site, but since Verizon hasn't issued the official 4.5 version for the 8830, delete the vendor.xml file.
    Last edited by ediggity; 12-23-08 at 07:30 PM.
    12-23-08 07:28 PM
    That was the question I forgot to ask lol

from the the 101 series: BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

..."If you're on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) you should check in with an IT representative before attempting to upgrade your smartphone's handheld software, because some IT policies can block or partially block a new OS install."

EDIT: Yes it's the same from the BB site, but since Verizon hasn't issued the official 4.5 version for the 8830, delete the vendor.xml file.
    Ok-I downloaded the new version but I didnt erase the XML file first.
    I went afterwards to earse the xml. file, but my system is still telling me that I cant download it because I have BES.
    I think I just need to get rid of the Veriosn 4.5 that I have somewhere on my computer and re-downlaod it.
    Where do I find the first one I downloaded so I can get rid of it and download it again, this time with the vendor xml. file deleted?
    Last edited by kwitel; 12-23-08 at 07:59 PM.
    12-23-08 07:50 PM
    See above post... The vendor.xml won't matter if there is an IT policy...
    12-23-08 08:06 PM
    See above post... The vendor.xml won't matter if there is an IT policy...
    Are you saying that my Hosting company can block it??
    I ask because I run my own company and therefore set the IT policies myself.

Everytime I try and "update" from the BB site, it takes me straight to the BB desktop Manager because it already has the 4.5 loaded in the system. Unfortunately, I loaded it while I still had the xml file.

How do I erase the 4.5 from my desktop?
    Where would it be found (I cant find it anywhere)?
    12-23-08 08:10 PM
    Go to your control panel > add/remove programs. Remove the device software there
    12-23-08 08:24 PM
    Go to your control panel > add/remove programs. Remove the device software there
    Its not there-just the desktop software and theold 4.2 show up.
    It wouldnt show up there b/c it hast been installed yet but when I click on update on the BB site, its going straight to my Desktop Manager as if its been already downloaded.
    This is gonna kill me.

Do you have the link of a reputable site where I can try downloading it again other than the BB site?
    12-23-08 08:38 PM
    Ok all,

Finally got it downloaded and working.
    Some cool features here and although some of the graphics are nicer, its gnna take some getting used to.
    Two questions:

1) Can I view/edit EXCEL docs?
    2) What happened to all of my ringtones? (I only have one now-classic)
    3) Lastly, some of my screens look a bit out of whack (mainly my "call" screen), the numbers are huge and spaced out, the persons name looks a bit weird as well. Any way to fix that?

Thanks again for everyones help and for being patient with me!
    Last edited by kwitel; 12-23-08 at 10:09 PM.
    12-23-08 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD