Since the release of the 8830 3 years ago, it was known that Bell and Telus 8830's were unlocked out of the box. I'm leaving on Sunday to Asia for a month and plan to use a local SIM card in Asia to use with my 8830. To verify that my 8830 was in fact unlocked, I did a quick search and read that to see if the phone was really unlocked, you type MEPD in the SIM Card option screen and check to see that it did not say "Active" beside Network. It said "Active" which means that it was not unlocked. Can anyone verify that the above method is correct in determining whether the phone was locked or not?

If it helps, it is a Bell branded phone but was sent to me as a replacement (so it is a refurb) and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it? If I need to get an unlock code, would Bell give it to me without paying since my 3 year contract is up?
    04-29-10 12:17 AM
    I believe you are correct. From experience, all my unlocked phones have said "Disabled" next to network. Bell might give you an unlock code for it, not positive tho. If not you should check out one of the reputable companies that advertise on here..I recommend Carrier Unlock, they've always treated me well and I'm pretty sure they match any price you find.
    04-29-10 12:23 AM
    Since the release of the 8830 3 years ago, it was known that Bell and Telus 8830's were unlocked out of the box. I'm leaving on Sunday to Asia for a month and plan to use a local SIM card in Asia to use with my 8830. To verify that my 8830 was in fact unlocked, I did a quick search and read that to see if the phone was really unlocked, you type MEPD in the SIM Card option screen and check to see that it did not say "Active" beside Network. It said "Active" which means that it was not unlocked. Can anyone verify that the above method is correct in determining whether the phone was locked or not?

If it helps, it is a Bell branded phone but was sent to me as a replacement (so it is a refurb) and I'm thinking that might have something to do with it? If I need to get an unlock code, would Bell give it to me without paying since my 3 year contract is up?

Active means Locked. We can help you unlock your Blackberry.
    04-29-10 12:57 PM
    Ahh...

That's really unfortunate seeing how it's suppose to be unlocked. Also, when pressing MEP2 at the SIM Card option screen, it says 0 left which makes me believe whoever had it before it was sent out as a refurb attempted to unlock it which is why the counter is at 0?
    04-29-10 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD