My wife has a BB 8820 supplied by her employer - carrier is T-Mobile.
    It runs on their BES server.
    Their internet access is restricted on their desktops and BB's - essentially blocking email and social networking sites.

She's always been afraid to "try anything" with her BB - change themes, download newer OS, sync up to home laptop w/ Desktop Manager, etc. She is afraid her BB won't "be allowed" to do any of that or that it might screw something up later if she changes any of the settings.

I've never had a BB that runs on BES so I can't really gaurantee her anything - so I've come to the experts for advice.

Can her employer really restrict what she does on her BB? Is limiting access to certain websites all they can really control? Can she download apps, themes, etc. and not worry about screwing up her BB?

You can sync a BES BB to a home computer thru DM, right? You just have to disable the BES connection first?

Since she has T-Mobile, could we use her work BB as a free tether to our laptop while we are on vacation?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Please point me to other threads/posts if this has been discussed in the past.
    07-24-09 01:34 PM
    all depends on what the BES administrator sets in the IT Policy that gets downloaded to the device when you do the enterprise activation
    07-24-09 03:58 PM
    There are also ways to reset the IT policy, but that would be a tough one to explain to her IT guy.
    07-24-09 04:00 PM
    So basically there is no way of knowing w/o either talking to one of their IT guys or just trying to do some things and seeing what happens?

I would really like try & use her BB as a tether to our laptop.
    Any suggestions?
    Not sure how DM and her BES would get along...
    07-31-09 01:31 PM
    So basically there is no way of knowing w/o either talking to one of their IT guys or just trying to do some things and seeing what happens?

I would really like try & use her BB as a tether to our laptop.
    Any suggestions?
    Not sure how DM and her BES would get along...
    I'm BIS, so I don't really know, but I would think since DM is used to sync media and other stuff that it would allow it to at least connect. You may not be able to update the software or anything like that, but you should at least be able to hook it up to charge, etc.
    07-31-09 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD