That is a Verizon ripoff and one of the reasons that I have Sprint. I also have Sprint because they don't cripple the phone like Verizon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ever carrier does this, and its bs.
    04-05-08 06:37 PM
    Some times I can't believe what I read here. Of course they will send you refurbished replacements, what would anyone do when most of the returns are for silly stuff like lint in the track ball. I mean with the hundreds of posts on this and other forums about trackball problems and how to clean them I can't believe you would consider it a phone defect.

As for Verizon "always" sending out refurbished units can't be true, for instance what were they sending out for returned 8830's last May-July. They didn't have any refurbs yet so they had to give you new a one.
    04-05-08 09:42 PM
    Some times I can't believe what I read here. Of course they will send you refurbished replacements, what would anyone do when most of the returns are for silly stuff like lint in the track ball. I mean with the hundreds of posts on this and other forums about trackball problems and how to clean them I can't believe you would consider it a phone defect.

As for Verizon "always" sending out refurbished units can't be true, for instance what were they sending out for returned 8830's last May-July. They didn't have any refurbs yet so they had to give you new a one.
    NO ONE SAID THAT MY DIRTY TRACKBALL WAS A PHONE DEFECT. If you were to read the posts, you would see that I was NOT in favor of sending my phone back for a dirty trackball. As a matter of fact, I ended up sending back the refurb with a note saying that I did not want another phone. Maybe YOU wouldn't mind taking apart the Blackberry while it's still under warranty, but I personally find that to be risky.

Why on earth did you take the time to write such a nasty post?
    04-06-08 05:07 PM
    My end button on my Verizon 8830 stop responding so I took it back to Verizon. The guy came out after 20 minutes of trying to fix it with a silver bag that had 1 in it. I asked whats that & he said its your replacement 8830. I asked him if its a new one & he said no it was a refurbished one & it was certified for 1 yr. Anyway I made a big stink & said Im not taking a used 1 inplace of my new 1 after only having my original for less the 3 mths. So long story short after I made a big stink they gave me a new one with box and all!
    04-06-08 08:26 PM
    I wonder if BMW would replace my defective car (1 month old) with a new one or have me send it in for repairs/maintenace...(*thinks*)
    04-07-08 12:03 AM
    yeah its a bummer that they make you keep the battery and cover
    04-07-08 03:43 AM
    yeah its a bummer that they make you keep the battery and cover
    Actaually, they don't. The refurbs come with a cover... you just keep the same battery.
    04-07-08 08:22 AM
    I wonder if BMW would replace my defective car (1 month old) with a new one or have me send it in for repairs/maintenace...(*thinks*)
    You do realize that is not a valid argument. Totally different consumer products with two totaly different pricepoints. Your BMW isn't worth $100, now is it?
    04-07-08 08:23 AM
    I got a refurb from verizon then it happened to fall down the stairs the next day, so I called Asurion and got a spanken new one in the box with battery case and charger.
    04-07-08 10:05 AM
    I have T-Mobile, and when my 8700 broke last July, they had to send me a total of 3 refurbished replacements because none of them worked properly. I finally ended up with a new Pearl, but couldn't stand the keyboard so I had to buy an 8800 at full price.

The 8800 broke last Friday, less than a year after I got it. Instead of getting a refurbished one, which might be as unreliable as the others, I bought a brand new 8820 at about $350.

Personally, I've had lousy luck with refurbished BBs, but that could just be me. I found out what the likely problem is on the 8800 and am sending it out for repairs for about $70. I'd rather have a BB I know than a refurbished one that I don't.
    04-09-08 05:14 PM
    True story.

I received a 8703e from my friend who wasnt using his anymore, but it had some issues with it, like broken key, nicks, the works. I had insurance on my account, and they were going to replace it, but there were none in stock at the Sprint warehouse. So the CSR said they never downgrade people, so getting a Pearl was a "downgrade", so they upgraded me to a 8830. He looked for the phone in their warehouse, and again, they were out of stock. So he just said let me see what we have in the back. Walked out with a brand new 8830 straight from the box.

I think, for Sprint at least, is that they do try and give you a refurbished phone, but if they dont have it in their stock, then they give you a new one.

Sprint insurance is $$ for me.
    04-09-08 05:20 PM
    Ain't no "sometimes". It's ALWAYS. Get it right. Amazing how even the employees don't know. What do you think happens to all the phones people turn in with problems? You think VZW gives them a military funeral and sends them into outer space for the long journey? No, they go back to the manufacturer to fix and then get returned and used as refurb replacements when others turn their bad phones in with problems. Why do you think the insurance on the phones shipped is only a max of $100? Because they aren't worth anything more? I don't think you work high enough in your organization to know a lot of these things.... err, "the truth".
    Haha people like you make me laugh. If thats what you think FINE. They could be refurbished if 1.) it was defective and "fixed" 2.) a cust had it 3 days and didn't like it (happens ALL the time)!!!! If we don't have any refurbs in stock they are brand new, so yes "sometimes" they are refurbished but doesn't mean they are bad. We can run history on all serials numbers to check if they have been used and why they were returned. But if thats what you think, so be it.
    04-26-08 11:38 PM
    JM2C: With at&t, the cell phones are replaced with a refurb and a 50.00 fee. At this time, at&t has no insurance for BBs.

04-26-08 11:51 PM
    What is the big deal about Refurbished Phones? Brand new phone straight out of the box are known to have problems on occasions. After 30 days, the Manf. is not under any obligation to offer you a new phone.
    People, PLEASE READ YOU WARRANTY!!!!!
    04-27-08 01:07 AM
    What is the big deal about Refurbished Phones? Brand new phone straight out of the box are known to have problems on occasions. After 30 days, the Manf. is not under any obligation to offer you a new phone.
    People, PLEASE READ YOU WARRANTY!!!!!
    But many say different things at different times. If the phone seller tells me something (whether orally or in writing) and Asurian says something else what is the consumer supposed to do. Spend a couple of days trying to reconcile all of the conflicting statements. It's not as easy as "read the warranty". There are many warranties out there. Unfortunately, the one they want you to accept if the one that works for the company at the time.
    04-27-08 07:58 AM
    I've rec'd new & refurbished phones from Sprint. I was also told at 1 time that Sprint doesn't downgrade; but that's not 100% true. They aren't required to give a "newer" model- just one comparable to the phone you currently have.

04-27-08 08:16 AM
    Usually refurbished isn't a big deal.
    If it comes from the carrier then I was more than likely a return or serviced to be perfect.

However be careful if it was a refurb from an insurance replacement, then you have a chance of gettin a POS phone, sprint and verizon use asurion (look them up) they have been known to give people problems.

I have been pretty lucky with them, but I am sure my luck could change at anytime.

04-28-08 07:29 AM
    Usually refurbished isn't a big deal.
    If it comes from the carrier then I was more than likely a return or serviced to be perfect.

However be careful if it was a refurb from an insurance replacement, then you have a chance of gettin a POS phone, sprint and verizon use asurion (look them up) they have been known to give people problems.

I have been pretty lucky with them, but I am sure my luck could change at anytime.

This is true, I went through about 5 Motorola Q's and never found one that actually works, which is why I now have an 8830(soon to be 8330). They just had too many problems and they were all refurbished, and not one of them went without some kind of problem. I can tell you I was so much more stressed out just because my phone wouldn't function half the time that I couldn't be productive!
    04-28-08 07:21 PM
    Yesterday I started having a problem with my 8830 WE, and so I brought it into the store, and got a refurb. Now, i've gotten refurbs for other phones before, and never had any problems, so i didn't think that this would be a big deal.

The refurb I got wouldn't stay powered up for more than 10 minutes, even when plugged into a charger; it would just turn off and reboot. Poor. So i took it back and got another one.

The second refurb i got wouldn't connect to the high-speed data network (no 1XEV, only 1X), and the speaker would only work intermittently. So i took it back and got a third.

The third refurb drops calls intermittently, even if I don't move out of service.

I'm going back in tomorrow and demanding a new phone, cause I'm really fed up and after all that gas, time (5 hours worth of hassle), and energy, I think I deserve a new phone.
    05-21-08 10:18 PM
    yeah sounds like you got a bad batch of 8830 to ya... Good luck and they will take care of you. If not tell them to put you n the curve..
    05-21-08 10:27 PM
    I just replaced my with the warrenty and received a brand new one, if it wasnt new then they did a good job making it look new, plastic and all.
    05-21-08 10:31 PM
    If you want a new phone as replacement dont expect it to be free. What carrier would make money that way and people would abuse it anyway. Why do you think they started charging shipping for returns
    05-21-08 10:43 PM
    Oh and on refurbs, thay use all new parts so is almost new, but body for the most part is used
    05-21-08 10:44 PM
    Most electronics are replaced with refurbs through warranty. This aint necessarily a bad thing. just cuzits a refurb doesn't mean its been used and abused. the refurbs are suppose to pass quality control also and they don;t just turn any used one into a refurb.

Last edited by avmsam; 05-28-08 at 05:50 AM.
    05-21-08 11:18 PM
    I have been a Verizon customer for 3 years.

My Blackberry Curve 8330 from Verizon was purchased Feb 13, 2009. I have had problems with it since day one. Sunday night it went into a reboot cycle and kept giving me an error message. I was unable to get it to do anything but reboot, over and over and over again.

Of course, when I called yesterday, they sent out a refurbished phone. I am angry. I am not the only one (a Google search led to numerous complaints about this refurb policy).

Below is my email to Verizon. I doubt it will do any good, but at least I am not sitting back and saying "hey, screw me harder please."

On February 13, 2009 I purchased a BlackBerry Curve 8330. When it came, it would not work, so I took it to the store, and it took the people at the store nearly an hour to get it to work.

On April 13, 2009 I called because my phone was rebooting repeatedly. I followed the instructions the woman gave me on the phone and agreed to talk to her when she called back at 4 pm. Well, when she called back, my phone was playing the "reboot" game so she went to voicemail and didn't leave an extension, so no way to get back to her.

My phone seemed to be behaving for a while after that. Well, on May 1 it started rebooting repeatedly again and by Sunday night it was unusable. On Monday morning I spoke to Susan, a very nice person, who stated a "certified like new" replacement would be sent out immediately.

WHY a REFURB? I PAID for a brand new phone that did not work. I think that I should have been able to go to the store on that same day and pick up a new one. VERIZON sold me faulty equipment and is now replacing it with faulty equipment that has been sent in and supposedly fixed. RIP OFF.

I won't be renewing my contract when it's up.

Also, if you think I am the only one upset about your policy, please visit the links below.

note: There were links in here but I am unworthy of posting a link on this forum.

Do a google search and you will find even more complaints like this. To me, Verizon is trying to screw customers over. I PURCHASED a BRAND NEW BlackBerry. It was defective. You replaced it with a USED BlackBerry. How the **** do I come out ahead in this? Oh, I don't. That's right. I don't actually matter.

Sincerely,

AnnArborAn
    05-05-09 10:02 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD