Recently, my BB has started just randomly selecting things. I'll be scrolling through the icons, and even though I'm not specifically clicking on anything, it'll just decide to open whatever I scrolled over.

When I'm writing e-mails, it will just decide to open the menu and send it off before I'm done with it (pure coincidence, if you normally would click the trackball, it'd bring up the menu, and the first thing selected would be "Send" - it's just that it's "clicking" on its own).

This is the second 8830 this happened to, and Sprint's "never seen this happen before". Of course, it's an intermittent problem, so since it didn't happen when they tested it, they sent me away.

Anybody have any ideas?
    06-27-08 10:48 AM
    I have the exact same problem with mine, it randomly autoclicks... It really gets me mad!!! Sometimes I can't even get it to click at all!

What I finally did is clean the whole mechanism. There is a post if you search it that shows you how to pull out the silver piece around the ball. They include pictures on the post, but I will breifly explain my experience.

1-If you get a small screwdriver or even you fingernail and pull on it at the top it will easily pop out. The silver piece has 3 prongs that hold it in place at the left, bottom and rights sides. So when I pulled on the top it was easy to access and I wasn't bumping into the prongs. You might have to force it just a bit to get it going.

2-Then the trackball mechanism is exposed. You can than just pop it out by tapping bluntly on the backside. It seems to be held in place by a magnet so you don't have to force anything.

3-I took probably too much rubbing alcohol with a q-tip and cleaned that sucker out and then put everything back together. If you look at the trackball on the back there is a metal piece that comes from one of the top sides to the center. That part goes to the upper most part of your phone, the screen side. Slip the trackball back in and make it snug.

4-Then put the 3 prong silver piece in with the empty spot at the upper most part of the phone near the screen (the top part that is missing a prong).

After I did this the trackball didn't work when I clicked it, it still moved around nice and everything but that was never a problem. I couldn't get it to click at all, nor would it auto click. I opened it up again and it looked like I had some alcohol excess so I let it sit overnight and now it is working this morning. I don't know how long it will work but its working perfect right know, so I will let you know if I lose it again!
    06-27-08 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD