I have an old 8800 that was previously used on a corporate BES that I want to use with a Rogers pay as you go plan.

I would like to be able to use the 8800 primarily for text messaging and voice.

When I set it up on the pre-paid plan, could I incur data charges against my prepaid account beyond voice/sms? Is there a way to prevent the device from all data communications, but in a way that the sms and voice still function? Or is that just not an issue?

Is there anything else interesting I can do with the device like use the GPS with a third party app, etc?

Basically I have prepaid $100, and that $100.00 card lasts for up to a year (no need for a monthly top-up) and I signed up for 2,500 SMS monthly (which costs me $10 of the pre-pay monthly). If it works it's a pretty nice glorified pager for not much $$$.

/Chris
    10-16-09 02:54 PM
    If you want to disable data, go to Manage Connections on your app homescreen, Mobile Network Options, then turn Data Services off.
    10-16-09 03:57 PM
    Thanks... I called Rogers the carrier and they turned off data for my account. Apparently you can use the Pay as You Go to surf, but it subtracts $$$ from the prepaid amount. Not sure how that works though becauise it's 5 cents per "web page". I'm not sure I want to find out...

I am going to turn it off on the device as well--just in case!

/bb
    10-16-09 06:53 PM
    Thanks... I called Rogers the carrier and they turned off data for my account. Apparently you can use the Pay as You Go to surf, but it subtracts $$$ from the prepaid amount. Not sure how that works though becauise it's 5 cents per "web page". I'm not sure I want to find out...

I am going to turn it off on the device as well--just in case!

/bb
    On Pay As You Go you can get the unlimited internet for $7/month and browse as many sites as you want, even watch YouTube video. That's what I am currently doing with an 8800 and it works great. You can even download apps and themes OTA. I just went to the Rogers self service online, logged in and added the $7/month internet plan to my account.
    10-17-09 09:09 AM
    Wow $7 per month for unlimited data? Pretty sweet. I wonder if tetherberry will work (it should?)

/bb
    10-17-09 10:09 PM
    Wow $7 per month for unlimited data? Pretty sweet. I wonder if tetherberry will work (it should?)

/bb
    Actually it's not unlimited data. It's just unlimited internet browsing and downloading of apps/ringtones/themes/images/etc. I can download anything OTA but any apps that require a data connection will not work.
    10-17-09 11:15 PM
    youtube works though?
    10-18-09 07:21 AM
    youtube works though?
    Yes it works fine.
    10-18-09 08:44 PM
    so an app like garmin mobile would depend on a connection through rim's network? or would it work?

With the $7.00 plan can I install social networking apps (facebook, msn, etc.)and make them work? Or is it only the web browser that functions?

/bb
    10-19-09 10:11 AM
    so an app like garmin mobile would depend on a connection through rim's network? or would it work?

With the $7.00 plan can I install social networking apps (facebook, msn, etc.)and make them work? Or is it only the web browser that functions?

/bb
    Unfortunately it's only the web browsing and downloading that works. I have tried Facebook, MSN and other apps and they do not work as they require a data plan. I download all of my themes OTA and any programs that don't require a data plan (BerryBuzz, games).
    10-19-09 01:03 PM
    have you tried tetherberry yet?
    10-20-09 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD