I have been using the latest OS 4.5 for a week or so now and have run into enough issues that I think it is best to back down to T-Mobiles most current version. The main issue is that when I am on Wi-Fi for calls for some reason the 8820 shuts off completely. I have read this from others as well who are on the T-Mobile network. Not sure if T-Mobile has the ability to detect the OS version you are on or not. But it is not a good thing to have happen during business calls.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to back down to a previous OS version? Thanks in advance for your help.
    08-18-08 09:55 AM
    Just delete the old one on you pc download the tmo one from my t mobile hook up your phone to dm and it should prompt you to downgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-08 09:57 AM
    Just delete the old one on you pc download the tmo one from my t mobile hook up your phone to dm and it should prompt you to downgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Not sure how that works. I went into Dekstop Manager and it has OS 4.5 greyed out so you cant uninstall it. I installed 4.2 but it doesn't show up anywhere in the DM. Is their an easier way to do this?
    08-18-08 11:00 AM
    Use Windows Control Panel to uninstall the offending version.

The v4.2xxx will become the highest numbered version and that is what Application Loader will find.

Are you aware of the vendor.xml file removal? It will have to be removed, again.

Last edited by Stoner; 08-18-08 at 12:18 PM.
    08-18-08 12:16 PM
    Use Windows Control Panel to uninstall the offending version.

The v4.2xxx will become the highest numbered version and that is what Application Loader will find.

Are you aware of the vendor.xml file removal? It will have to be removed, again.

Stoner... Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated. It can be a bit of a daunting task (especially for us semi-pro users) to update and then have to backdate the OS. For what ever reason the current OS 4.5s that are out there (which come from European carriers) play some funky tricks on T-Mobiles HotSpot@Home prograrm. I would get a call (while on UMA) and in the middle of the call the 8820 would simply shut down. It doesn't do that on 4.2.2.193. I have read other T-Mobile HotSpot@Home users who upgraded to 4.5 having the same issues. So I guess their is some logic in the fact that T-Mobile has yet to fully test and certify OS 4.5 for their system. I will miss my HTML email, but I suspect having calls that don't suddenly go dead will be the positive trade-off.
    I have in fact gone back to OS 4.2 as of a few minutes ago and all seems to be working fine. The only odd thing is that I am missing the "Manage Email" icon. I think I may have to call T-Mobile and have them reset my account and send out their official set of Service Books.
    08-18-08 01:20 PM
    Called T-Mobile and the CS Rep walked me through re-registering the phone.. so all the icons came through. But we had a short interesting conversation. He said that the RIM Rep was in their call center not long ago and said that OS 4.5 would be released to US carriers in the Fall. So hopefully not to long. The quirk in the European OS 4.5s floating around is that they are not developed to specifically support T-Mobiles UMA functionality. So if you have HotSpot@Home and you have upgraded to OS 4.5 then most likely you will have problems with the calls placed (or inbound) over UMA. One of the known side effects of the European 4.5s is that the T-Mobile UMA calls will cut off and the BB will simply shut down. That is exactly what was happening to me. Well, like I stated above... I am stuck with 4.2 until the official T-Mobile 4.5 release. Such is life!
    08-18-08 01:40 PM
    Sorry to hear about going back on the OS.
    08-18-08 01:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD