Hi.
    My BackBerry always send and recive data via Internet but device in stand-by mode and i do nothing . What application send data and how disable this? In Manage Connection \ Mobile Network Options \ Data Services i set Off and all fine, but if this option is enable some application send lots of data.
    Thanx.
    08-25-08 09:08 AM
    Well depends what applications you have installed. Nothing pre-installed on the BlackBerry constantly recieves/sends data. If you have installed applications, make sure you close them properly by pressing the back button (arrow, right of the trackball) or by pressing menu (blackberry button) and selecting close.

Press and hold alt + back button then scroll to see what programs are open. There should only be 5 programs that you can never close: browser, home, blackberry messenger, messages and phone.
    08-25-08 02:22 PM
    A Blackberry will always communicate with the RIM network checking for email from the BIS/BES servers (dependin on your email setup). This is how it functions, if you turn off Data (as you discovered) this will not happen.
    08-25-08 02:41 PM
    Sounds like no Data Plan is present.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-08 02:46 PM
    Sounds like no Data Plan is present.

No. Sounds more like Canada plans are not unlimited and the user in concerned.
    08-25-08 02:47 PM
    Lol. Only way I can make ny phone not recv data is turning it off, but when it comes back on all the data comes in at that point, no way around it. I'm on a 5GB plan.

08-25-08 06:10 PM
    Lol. Only way I can make ny phone not recv data is turning it off, but when it comes back on all the data comes in at that point, no way around it. I'm on a 5GB plan.

0 for 4. Phail. There is no 5GB plan from Verizon. The 5GB limit is only for tethering. Blackberry data on the handheld itself has no monthly cap.
    08-25-08 07:45 PM
    A Blackberry will always communicate with the RIM network checking for email from the BIS/BES servers (dependin on your email setup). This is how it functions, if you turn off Data (as you discovered) this will not happen.
    Can i disable permission for this module ?
    08-26-08 07:11 AM
    Can i disable permission for this module ?
    No, it's how it works at the core of the OS system. It would be like asking you to turn off your eyes when you don't want to see. Not possible. As I said, if you turn off Data services, it will shut down the polling and when you turn it back on, it'll poll and bring down any email you have. That's the only thing you can do. The constant polling will also not cause a lot of data to rack up. It's just a few bytes of info boing back and forth. If you don't use the browser and you don't have large emails with large attachments going back and forth, but you're still seeing a large sum of data being used, then it's something else on the BB that's loaded. IM programs can do this, Blackberry Maps can do it, etc. Make sure you exit out of each app once you've used it. Hitting END button while in an application DOES NOT CLOSE IT. Keep that in mind. Good luck with tracking down your issue.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you hold down ALT and hit ESC (button right of trackball) you will get a ribbon screen that comes up which shows you what's running. By default the only things you should have is Browser, Home Screen, Messages, Call Log, and BBM. If you see anything else, then you didn't close those apps.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 08-26-08 at 09:41 AM.
    08-26-08 09:39 AM
    No, it's how it works at the core of the OS system. It would be like asking you to turn off your eyes when you don't want to see. Not possible. As I said, if you turn off Data services, it will shut down the polling and when you turn it back on, it'll poll and bring down any email you have. That's the only thing you can do. The constant polling will also not cause a lot of data to rack up. It's just a few bytes of info boing back and forth. If you don't use the browser and you don't have large emails with large attachments going back and forth, but you're still seeing a large sum of data being used, then it's something else on the BB that's loaded. IM programs can do this, Blackberry Maps can do it, etc. Make sure you exit out of each app once you've used it. Hitting END button while in an application DOES NOT CLOSE IT. Keep that in mind. Good luck with tracking down your issue.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. If you hold down ALT and hit ESC (button right of trackball) you will get a ribbon screen that comes up which shows you what's running. By default the only things you should have is Browser, Home Screen, Messages, Call Log, and BBM. If you see anything else, then you didn't close those apps.
    Thanx for you exhaustive answer
    08-26-08 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD