I have audible air bit I can only download in 10 min sections, it will overwrite so this really doesn't seem to be worth it. ANY suggestions how to get full book????
    04-23-08 05:31 AM
    I have audible air bit I can only download in 10 min sections, it will overwrite so this really doesn't seem to be worth it. ANY suggestions how to get full book????
    In AudibleAir:
    1. Go to "Menu"
    2. Then "Setting"
    3. Then "Options"
    4. Change the "Length of Download" option from 10 minute to "Entire Book" you should be able to select this option from a drop down menu
    04-24-08 12:39 PM
    I've been an Audible listener for years with many devices.

I'm a BB newbie just installed AudibleAir. I was amazed to see the long list of books in my library along with the book I copied to my card. However, I didn't see how to easily navigate the list. Ideas?

I'm interested in hearing how the Simple Book Reader compares with AudibleAir. Can this app completely replace AudibleAir? I'd love to free up the space.

Does Berrytunes play Audible books? (This is another app I'll need for radio streaming)
    Last edited by Beryl; 04-27-08 at 11:36 AM.
    04-27-08 11:28 AM
    I had nothing but problems with Audible on my 8310, skips, playing in incorrect order... just to much for me. I hope they get it fixed.. For now I got a 4gb Nano just for Audio Books.
    I've been able to get Audible to work on my Berry and listen to it each workday during my commutes. It's eccentric and particular, though, and from the various conversations I've had with others here, I've observed that what works for me procedure and operation-wise doesn't necessarily work for them. It seems that everyone's Berry handles Audible a little differently (if at all). Not quite sure why that is and I agree that the folks at Audible need to do a major overhaul on their Blackberry Player before it's ready for prime time.
    04-27-08 11:47 AM
    In AudibleAir:
    1. Go to "Menu"
    2. Then "Setting"
    3. Then "Options"
    4. Change the "Length of Download" option from 10 minute to "Entire Book" you should be able to select this option from a drop down menu
    I prefer to save the whole book with my desktop or laptop into AudibleManager and then transfer the book to my media card (which is 4GB for now, but I'll probably go bigger once the officially new OS drops) so I don't have to worry about the OTA section downloads. I never liked having to wait for the OTA download which- for me- would occasionally take as long as it did to actually listen to the section (if it even worked at all. sometimes I'd spend all that time waiting for the OTA download to complete and then get some silly error at the end). Though maybe that's improved in the months since I first tried it.
    04-27-08 11:58 AM
    Now this is definitely going to be a thread I revisit once I get my BB. I am a huge audiobook listener. I once had an 80GB iPod loaded to the gills with audiobooks- but I gave it to my son. Now I'm carrying the 16GB iPod Touch. All of my stories reside on an external hard drive.

I discovered a long time ago that abridged stories left me unfulfilled, so its unabridged all the way for me.

I turned to audible because I became wiped out from all the work involved with converting, merging, bookmarking... it just became too much. Once my 200+ stories were converted to iTunes (audiobook) format, I never wanted to do that much work again. Audible simplifies my life.
    04-27-08 12:36 PM
    I turned to audible because I became wiped out from all the work involved with converting, merging, bookmarking... it just became too much
    Do you mean the work involved with ripping CDs? I did that only for a short time. I decided to donate CD & Tape media to charity and replace with Audible. It just makes sense --once you purchase the rights to listen to something, you should be able to listen anywhere using any device.

I just wish there was something similar for video.
    04-27-08 02:24 PM
    Why pay for books when you can get them for free...legally? I download my audiobooks for free from my library. The books play just fine (with bookmarking already included; no conversion necessary) on Palm and Windows mobile devices and several MP3 players like my Creative Zen Vision:M. I can also download videos and ebooks from my library.

In fact, about the only devices that don't work with my library books are Blackberries and iPods. The iPod thing I get because the books are WMA-DRM files which Apple would never allow on its devices. But, I cannot for the life of me figure out why RIM did not included a player that could play WMA-DRM files and bookmark on its devices.

I'm posting this because the software that makes this possible on Palm OS devices started out as third party software. Now, it's included.

If enough of us request it, RIM or some third party software developer like the makers of Flipside would eventually add this functionality for Blackberries.
    Last edited by Lil_Sunshine; 04-27-08 at 03:11 PM.
    04-27-08 03:07 PM
    Do you mean the work involved with ripping CDs? I did that only for a short time. I decided to donate CD & Tape media to charity and replace with Audible. It just makes sense --once you purchase the rights to listen to something, you should be able to listen anywhere using any device.

I just wish there was something similar for video.
    Well, 1st the CD needed to be ripped. If its a story that consisted of 10+ CD's, that was a lot of ripping? Each CD went into its own folder. 2nd, part was batch renaming. 3rd, converting (.cda - which is the extension of all CD's unless they were already converted) to mp3).

Now that I have all these convereted to mp3, the 4th step is converting from mp3 to m4a. Once that part was done, I could now merge into one audiobook instead of 10+ folders, sometimes consisting of 99 tracks each. Also, this is he stage I did my bookmarking. Who wants a 20 hour story that never knows its place when you hit pause and starts all over again?

The 5th and final step was batch renaming the m4a extension to m4b (m4b is the ONLY extension that will allow your audiobook to appear in the "audiobook" section of the iPod.

Others may have an easier way to do this- at the time I did it, I couldnt find any answers (google or forums) that simplified this process. After a while, I could literally do it this way with my eyes closed- but it's still a long process nonetheless; especially if your collection is a large one.

If all you want is to convert to mp3's, that fine, but keep in mind, I did all this to store them on my iPod.
    Last edited by ScandaLeX; 04-27-08 at 03:51 PM.
    04-27-08 03:49 PM
    Well, 1st the CD needed to be ripped. If its a story that consisted of 10+ CD's, that was a lot of ripping? Each CD went into its own folder. 2nd, part was batch renaming. 3rd, converting (.cda - which is the extension of all CD's unless they were already converted) to mp3).

Now that I have all these convereted to mp3, the 4th step is converting from mp3 to m4a. Once that part was done, I could now merge into one audiobook instead of 10+ folders, sometimes consisting of 99 tracks each. Also, this is he stage I did my bookmarking. Who wants a 20 hour story that never knows its place when you hit pause and starts all over again?

The 5th and final step was batch renaming the m4a extension to m4b (m4b is the ONLY extension that will allow your audiobook to appear in the "audiobook" section of the iPod.

Others may have an easier way to do this- at the time I did it, I couldnt find any answers (google or forums) that simplified this process. After a while, I could literally do it this way with my eyes closed- but it's still a long process nonetheless; especially if your collection is a large one.

If all you want is to convert to mp3's, that fine, but keep in mind, I did all this to store them on my iPod.
    Take heart. Other players are not this complicated. You just rip the cd directly into mp3 format, (using something like Realplayer), drag and drop the fold onto your device, open the folder on your device, and play the tracks. When you want to stop and go listen to something else for awhile, you just set a bookmark. I also take the extra step to combine the tracks of each disk into one long track (approximately) one hour each. But, this is not necessary.

If you still have your books in MP3 format, you should be able to use Simple Book Player to listen to them on your future Blackberry.
    04-27-08 07:52 PM
    If you're interested I just released a simple book player (called "Simple Book Player" on handango for this very reason. I was about to cancel my Audible subscrption because I couldnt listen to files on my Blackberry, but I figured I would write one that DOES work! Check it out :-)
    I bought it and it doesn't work : I can't select the titles, even though I can see them in the player. I have written the alleged author and will advise this forum if this is resolved.
    04-27-08 08:51 PM
    Take heart. Other players are not this complicated. You just rip the cd directly into mp3 format, (using something like Realplayer), drag and drop the fold onto your device, open the folder on your device, and play the tracks. When you want to stop and go listen to something else for awhile, you just set a bookmark. I also take the extra step to combine the tracks of each disk into one long track (approximately) one hour each. But, this is not necessary.

If you still have your books in MP3 format, you should be able to use Simple Book Player to listen to them on your future Blackberry.
    No, I dont still have them in mp3. Thinking on it now, I should have kept them just in case I ever got tired of the iPod and wanted something less proprietary.
    04-27-08 09:13 PM
    I bought it and it doesn't work : I can't select the titles, even though I can see them in the player. I have written the alleged author and will advise this forum if this is resolved.
    I'm sorry to hear this. Thanks for the heads up. I'm surprised that Handango would sell a product that doesn't work. I assume the books are in MP3 format and that the books are in the "Blackberry/books" folder on your SD card?

If you have moved your files to the "Blackberry/books" folder and they are in mp3 format, then mobilenik is probably a troll and a charlatan. I would encourage you to write a review about your experiences on Handango.
    04-27-08 09:34 PM
    Well, since Simple Book Player might not work, I posted a request for an audiobook player in the developers forum:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f9/audi...35/#post280348

I'll keep you posted.
    04-27-08 09:50 PM
    I'm sorry to hear this. Thanks for the heads up. I'm surprised that Handango would sell a product that doesn't work. I assume the books are in MP3 format and that the books are in the "Blackberry/books" folder on your SD card?

If you have moved your files to the "Blackberry/books" folder and they are in mp3 format, then mobilenik is probably a troll and a charlatan. I would encourage you to write a review about your experiences on Handango.
    As Sun said, writing a review is a great idea. It would make potential buyers aware. Not only do I write reviews for good/bad products, I also read a lot of them as well. Consumers need to be protected and the best way to do that is if we are looking out for each other.

I'm not saying write something that bashes the heck out of the comp/person that made it; just enlighten others to your experience.
    04-28-08 03:08 AM
    The Core Player is coming soon to Blackberry according to their site:

CoreCodec.com - Ubiquitous Products and Multimedia Technologies - Home

I've used this on my Windows mobile device. It works great. It supports Youtube, a plethora of audio formats, and podcasts. But, what matters most for audiobook addicts is that it supports folder browsing and bookmarks.

They didn't give a release date. I have a feeling a lot of developers are waiting for 4.5 to come out.
    05-03-08 05:05 PM
    That is terrific news, Lil. I use TCPMP on my Treo 700wx also. It is great.

Do you download public domain books for free? If so, what site(s) do you use? I don't know of a way to legally download other books except via purchase. I wish our public library would offer a download option but I'm not holding my breath.
    05-03-08 08:25 PM
    Do you download public domain books for free? If so, what site(s) do you use? I don't know of a way to legally download other books except via purchase. I wish our public library would offer a download option but I'm not holding my breath.
    Audiobooks

LibriVox: Search Results

Spoken word, downloadable audio books for the casual listener, the visually impaired and dyslexic

Telltale Weekly - MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and AAC Audiobooks

Main Page - Gutenberg

www.AudioBooksForFree.com entrypoint

Also check out the many short stories podcasts out there. Like:

Miette’s Bedtime Story Podcast

Escape Pod

WellToldTales.com

Bound Off: Literary Audio Podcast, Short Stories, Fiction

Symphony Space
    05-04-08 10:54 AM
    For those that are using it still, if you use Audible Download manager, you can now choose Blackberry as a device to copy to.
    05-27-08 09:39 AM
    I couldn't get the app to produce any sound on my Pearl. I got a Shuffle at Wal-Mart for $35 (go rebates!) for Audiobooks.
    05-27-08 11:15 AM
    For those that are using it still, if you use Audible Download manager, you can now choose Blackberry as a device to copy to.

This is so good to know. Thanks!
    05-28-08 03:20 PM
    YaHOOOOOOO! on a whim, I called Audible yesterday and asked them about it, and got told about the new BB plug in. Now my BB is perfect!
    05-29-08 09:50 AM
    Looks like MiuTunes will be adding bookmarks. According to their roadmap, an update that includes bookmarks should be ready by August.
    06-07-08 12:30 PM
    Yup, just used Audible Manager to transfer an audiobook from My Library to the memory card and it worked very well.
    06-07-08 01:22 PM
    The problem with Audible.com's player is that it only works with Audible content. If you rip audiobooks from CDs or download them for free from the library you're out of luck. Turns out, Dollar5's Media Player does bookmark. Here are is a link to their forum where explaining how to set a bookmark:

Dollars 5 Community :: View topic - Bookmark function?
    06-15-08 12:28 AM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD