So I purchased a Headset Jack Adapter from RadioShack. Description says, "Turns a 3/32" 4-pole wireless phone headset jack into a 1/8" stereo headphone jack." This adapter looks very similar to to the seidio adapter advertised specifically for the Blackberry.

The issue is that when I plug in my headphones to listen to music or play a video, the audio is fine for about a second or two, then it cuts over to speaker. It is like it isn't recognizing the output. Before I take it back or purchase another one, I wanted to check and see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks in advance.

*Pics included
    09-15-07 03:04 PM
    I had the same problem and I read elsewhere that the 8830 will only recognize an adapter with a built in mic. The post also said that it would work if you had an adapter without a mic but the headphones had a mic.

I have been playing around with it and I noticed that if I plug in an adapter with a mic, then switch it to an adapter without a mic pretty quickly it seems to work. So I'm wondering if there is some way to tweak the 8830 to not require a mic on the adapter. Anyone have any suggestions?
    09-26-07 05:14 PM
    According to the instructions on the Seidio they stress that you have to plug the headset into the adapter THEN into the phone.
    Have you tried that?
    Just a thought!
    10-03-07 11:12 AM
    I have the same problem, but it only happens at the end of every song. This happens whether I am using a headset or computer speakers....
    03-18-08 11:55 AM
    Oh my God people! Stop buying the POS Radio Shack adapters and the Seido ones. I use an LG one and it works fine (doesn't matter which way or what you plug into it first or second or whatever, it just works!) The link for the adapter is LG - Stereo Headset for Select LG Cell Phones - SGEY0003602

If you don't like to have LG on something attached to your BB, then pick up one from Verizon. It's nice and black and works with the BB just fine. Both have a built in mic and volume control and can be used with any kind of headphones or lines that work in your car's plugins (if you have them).
    03-18-08 03:36 PM
    That sounds great and all but I do not think it is an adapter.
    One of my students has the same phone (got his 1 week after me, same service) and his phone works fine with the computer speakers plugged directly in. I also have an expensive pair of sony earbud headphones that I get the same situation...
    03-19-08 02:47 PM
    That sounds great and all but I do not think it is an adapter.
    One of my students has the same phone (got his 1 week after me, same service) and his phone works fine with the computer speakers plugged directly in. I also have an expensive pair of sony earbud headphones that I get the same situation...
    I'm thinking of a word that starts with "R".

The OP has an 8830 which HAS A 2.5MM PLUG IN IT. Your 8130 and probably yoru student's 8130 has a 3.5mm plug in it which is why you can plug in headphones and speakers in without an adapter.

So, for the OP and knowing the Radio Shack converter issues myself, I can tell you most definatly that IT IS an adapter issue.
    03-19-08 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD