Can I get my fellow Crack-Head's opinion on this article?

FORTUNE: Big Tech Making the iPhone work for business �
    03-05-08 02:48 PM
    All Apple has to do is license ActiveSync from MS for the iPhone and it'll be good to go. BTW, why is this in the 8830 forum?
    03-05-08 03:28 PM
    I wanted feedback from the people who have my same device. No offense to anyone else, but I would like to think that we have something in common whether it be: business, travel or just like to stay on top of personal productivity and on the edge of technology. So your opinion is not only greatly appreciated but taken in with the utmost respect. Furthermore, the BB8830WE Discussion Forum on CB is the only forum I read on the net.
    03-05-08 06:10 PM
    lol, no problem. I use an 8830 as well and I setup Hotmail on an iPhone today, so I use all sorts of technology. From a connectivity standpoint, the iPhone blows because it only supports IMAP4 and POP3 which sucks. I mostly deal with Exchange so I tend to favor BES/BIS and ActiveSync above even RIM's solutions. Others don't mind IMAP4, but I would never open up my servers to that protocol. As for POP3, we don't support that either because 90% of the users out there are clueless and when they setup their Outlook or whatever POP3 program they want to use at home and pull their emails, they forget to set it to leave a copy on the server. They then come in the next day and look dumbfounded when their inbox is empty and look at me like I have to fix it. So, I make it ***** proof for them. Get a Blackberry or another smartphone that supports ActiveSync and you're in business (no pun intended). Get yourself a Nokia N95 or an iPhone which favor POP3 and IMAP4 and you're not.

Now, with that said, the iPhone isn't too bad. They keyboard was ticking me off today and some parts of the interface I would change. Like I couldn't copy and paste some info so I had to do more typing then I would with taking shortcuts, but that could just be the fact that I'm not an Apple person so I didn't know the shortcuts. Other then that, the network speed is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Blame that on AT&T, but even a BB is quicker on the web then the iPhone and they aren't 3G yet either. I find EVDO (3G already) slow, so anything slower then that and I scoff at it. Other then that, nothing fantastic about the iPhone. GPS, non-existant, browser, slow and doesn't support certain websites, not to mention the fact that every single website you try and type it tries to auto-suggest some kind of lame *** Apple related website. That's just stupid. So, my viewpoint... give it 3G and ActiveSync capabilities and it might work for business.... might.
    03-05-08 07:03 PM
    I guess the new 2.0 upgrade solves the Microsoft Exchange problem....
    03-06-08 02:47 PM
    Great for iPhone users. But the way I see it is, this will only help the non-consumer buyers and not necessarily jump into the business-consumer. Sure it's a great addition and big step for the development for the iPhone but why would businesses decide to just forget the BlackBerry and migrate over to the iPhone? I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves when they say this will seriously affect RIM. People are expecting a big jump of sales because of the introduction of Exchange/ActiveSync support, but really most consumers could care less, instead it will only be fueled by the introduction of SDK that will push iPhone sales. RIM should be fine but doesn't mean they can sit back, work still needs to be done.
    03-06-08 03:18 PM
    I guess the new 2.0 upgrade solves the Microsoft Exchange problem....
    Elaborate Please.
    03-06-08 03:19 PM
    Great for iPhone users. But the way I see it is, this will only help the non-consumer buyers and not necessarily jump into the business-consumer. Sure it's a great addition and big step for the development for the iPhone but why would businesses decide to just forget the BlackBerry and migrate over to the iPhone? I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves when they say this will seriously affect RIM. People are expecting a big jump of sales because of the introduction of Exchange/ActiveSync support, but really most consumers could care less, instead it will only be fueled by the introduction of SDK that will push iPhone sales. RIM should be fine but doesn't mean they can sit back, work still needs to be done.
    I completely agree with you BlackBerry.est08. Businesses have tried many products in the past and by saying that most businesses swear by RIM is an understatement. I do not know any business that would jump head first into this the day it launches. I can see this eating into HTC and Treo profits gradually, but I absolutely do not see this as a "Blackberry Killer" by any means as some articles are calling it. RIM can quiet down most critics with maybe, lets say, 3.0? If not then the 9000 should do the trick.
    03-06-08 08:28 PM
    Live from Apple's iPhone SDK press conference - Engadget

It's official. Apple has licensed ActiveSync from MS to get MS Exchange integration going. This is a strong move from their part.

While I agree that this will not shut out RIM out of the business market anytime soon, you can bet that business customers now have more options as to what to use for a business tool. There's a lot of business users that use the RIM products strickly because of the push email capabilities. Now with ActiveSync on a non-MS Mobile based phone the admins and users can stop crying about stability as much. Add to that the fact that you don't need to buy anything else (BES software or per-unit licenses to attach to BES) and this is going to save businesses some money in the long run. Plus and added benefit, since this runs on ActiveSync and really only requires that the Exchange server be up and your carrier to be opperational no more "RIM Outages" to speak of. While I and others were lost with no email several times in the past year all my ActiveSync users were up and running. What's that tell you? Less points of failure in the long run. And gosh darn it, people just seem to like the sleekness of the iPhone. I have people right now crying because they can't attache their iPhone to the servers. Well, they won't be crying much longer. This is a very good move on Apple's part... and this comes form someone who's not even an Apple fanboy. I actually hate Macs. So, we'll see how things look next year this time. RIM better get their act together with some better web browsing and html email capabilities. You can be that after this press release RIM is scrambling to get those features out... and quickly. I bet they are kicking themselves in the **** right now for not uping the memory in these phones. HTML email will cost more memory then text based.
    03-07-08 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD