I have both! I picked up my 8300 and 8800 both off craigslist and had them unlocked to T-Mob. I find myself switching out my SIM card every few weeks. I agree that the small size, camera, and media player is nice to the Curve. I like my 8800 because of the keyboard and solid feel. I plan on renewing my T-mob contract soon and may pick up the 8320 for the wi-fi.
    03-09-08 12:46 PM
    hmm, today, a T-Mo rep told me that RIM stopped making the 8800...

T-Mo stopped selling them here but Orange, O2, the Carphone Warehouse and Vodafone are still doing them.
    03-09-08 01:21 PM
    I was just at the AT&T store yesterday, and the rep told me they only sell the Curve and the Pearl. Curious, I checked the AT&T website they still sell the 8800 there. Sometimes the reps don't know everything.
    03-09-08 01:27 PM
    I think Curve has had better sales overall. I have yet to see anyone with an 88xx. I see tons of Curves and Pearls though. Maybe the carriers dont want to keep them in stock when they arent selling like the others. I still like both however.
    03-09-08 01:41 PM
    I am using a curve for the camera. I am going to use my phone to blog through my round the world trip and I need the camera for simplicity of posting pictures on my blog.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-08 01:58 PM
    I was just at the AT&T store yesterday, and the rep told me they only sell the Curve and the Pearl. Curious, I checked the AT&T website they still sell the 8800 there. Sometimes the reps don't know everything.
    When you saw the BB8800 on the internet, was it the BB8800 or BB8800 refurb?

msblueline
    03-09-08 03:22 PM
    They have the 8800 as a refurb only.

They have new and refurb 8820's listed.
    Last edited by weirdlilberry; 03-09-08 at 03:37 PM.
    03-09-08 03:27 PM
    I'm salivating over the 8820 for T-Mobile. Latest rumor is it will drop on the 24th of this month. Boo-yah! I have a Curve and an 8800 and love them both, often switching from one to the other as the mood strikes me. The lure of a camera has kept me using a Curve, but honestly, the camera is so mediocre it's not the draw I've been imagining it to be. Built-in GPS on the 8800 definitely is! Saved my bacon more than once on trips, and it's been a big help just navigating around NYC. WiFi is going to seal the deal and I'll be sporting a new 8820 about 2 minutes after the nearest T-Mobile store opens on the 24th. It's personal preference with how a particular device feels in your hand, and how you like one keyboard over another, but for me the 8800 is the winner. Plus, if Ari Gold uses one......
    03-09-08 05:35 PM
    No offense to anyone, but the reason why you don't see a lot of people with 88xx series phones is because the curves series and pearl series devices are consumer targeted...you know, trends. Now, everywhere I go, everyone I see has an 88xx device. This is at airports, the office, colleagues, business partners, meetings, etc.

Like I stated in my earlier posts, the Curve and Pearl are great devices and do a lot, but there's a reason why they're aimed at consumers...they're like toys. But that's just my .02 cents. I went from my Curve to an 88xx, and I'd never switch back.

03-09-08 11:56 PM
    I absolutely love my 8800. I had two curves before and would never go back to them.
    03-10-08 01:00 PM
    I now have an 8820, 8320, and 8310. The 8310 has been turned on once.
    The 8320s (actually more than one) , and the 8820 get all the love, with the 8820 winning most of the time.
    As others have said, the professionalism of the device can't be beat. I can pull it out incognito in a meeting and surf crackberry.
    To the bay with the 83xx.
    -Eric

03-10-08 05:22 PM
    hehe. I have a question.

What makes the curve unprofessional?
    03-10-08 05:32 PM
    The camera. Lots of businesses and government agencies prohibit any camera-equipped device.
    03-10-08 07:11 PM
    Actually, it's not the device so much as the pretty colors and the impact of boring, square black.
    It's like the difference between dressing up in a polo shirt and khakis to play golf vs. putting on a suit for a more formal engagement. Both can be professional, but they're just different. Stick an 88xx next to an 83xx and you'll know. I do know I'm more comfortable pulling out my 8820 when I'm sitting in a meeting.
    However, I'm now seeking a gold 8320 to complement it on the weekends.
    Ah well, it's part of the addiction. There's a reason I'm posting on a site called CrackBerry.

03-10-08 11:33 PM
    I have to say, I like the distinction that you just used between the two. Yes the 88xx "looks" like the more sophisticated phone. I don't say this because I have one. I say this because, me, not being business oriented, wonder what makes a phone "business looking" or gives it that "classy" look.

I am just curious to know what the difference of the classes are. If one claims that the Pearl and the Curve are more geared towards the general public, yet the business industry is what uses the 88xx.

Who or what denotes this? Is it just what is seen? Is there a school that I missed? Does it have to do with the "toy" feeling the 83xx gives, or is it the size of it? So in essence, does size really matter ?

msblueline
    03-11-08 07:34 AM
    I wanted the 8820 for the WiFi. I never had a BB before and Im not a business person, Im a teacher. I dont subscribe to any of the BB services and dont plan to. I like the WiFi to surf the net at home and hotspots. My wife has an IPhone and I didnt want one, but did want a device with similar capabilities. I really like my 8820, dont care about the lack of camera, and have a mem card on the way so I can use the media player. I watched this phone for weeks as the clock ticked down on my Verizon contract and actually scored a refurb for $129!!!

Mike
    03-11-08 10:01 AM
    I think what denotes the 88xx series as being more oriented towards business users is the lack of camera and the overall size. The camera is not only seen as a security risk for businesses but it can also be seen as a distraction. The overall size of the device, along with the size of the keys on the keyboard make it a preferred device for business users.

I work for a large, Fortune 50 company and most of us in the office have been issued blackberries. Even as new ones are assigned, the 83xx series and pearl series are completely not an option. Instead I see 8820s (which is what I use) down to 71xx series devices.

03-11-08 04:33 PM
    OK, I think I will be retracting one of my statements.

I made the comment that I would not be getting a Curve. Well, I have a Titanium Blackberry Curve enroute to my house as we speak... I need to see what the hype is all about...

I will be keeping the 8800 though... I will swap sim cards and probably play with it for awhile (the Curve... play with the Curve). I will give it the "feel" test and see if it really feels like a toy.

I will leave a feed back on the results. Then I will be able to actually answer my own questions as to "would I keep the 8800 or the Curve?"

Stay tuned to this channel for the results...

msblueline
    03-11-08 07:51 PM
    I started with an 8800 (it actually came as a replacement after having the dash crap out on me 3 times). it didn't have a camera but I loved it anyway. it was just a great device. it didn't crash or need to be reset every ten minutes. and you could back it up and keep all your text messages (I'm pretty social with mine lol)

when the curve came out on t-mo, I got one. I loved it too, mainly for the spell check and the more useful media player. it didn't last long though, I went back to my 8800. this back and forth happened through a titanium, a replacement titanium (I dropped the first one and it died), a gold and then another titanium. I LOVED the curve, but something keeps sending me back to the 8800. the camera never really meant anything to me since I already own a great digital camera that I carry just about everywhere, so to me the camera on the curve just seemed useless.

so I call the 8800 my boyfriend and the curve my side piece. I'll probably read this again in two weeks, look down at my curve and wonder what the heck I was thinking. jmho.
    03-12-08 06:21 PM
    Welcome to CB,

Do you still like the Curve? Is it something you switch cards out on different occasions. Do you like the 8800 for different functions, or does it matter to you? What would you rather be caught with 8800 or Curve?

msblueline
    03-12-08 06:30 PM
    I just switched my sim into my 8800. Like was stated earlier there's something about the 8800s feel. Its heavy. Its more "manley" I guess. I type faster on the keyboard with my big hands even though the keys are closer together. I dont miss the camera either as my 8meg camera stays with me 24-7. I just like the feel of my 8800. Now, I LOVE the media player on my Curve. I still like my Curve and will probably continue to switch out when the mood strikes.
    03-12-08 06:38 PM
    I really enjoy my Curve 8310. I change frm my a sidekick 3.This phone is freak'n beautiful. She is a gray with a black carbon fiber body. I have finally seen the "light"...

03-12-08 07:27 PM
    I apologize for the grammar error,...I was trying to type fast..manager was coming..lol

03-12-08 07:46 PM
    I had a sidekick 3 and had it stolen. I picked up a berry and heavent looked back. First I got my Curve and loved it. Then I picked up an 8800 off craigslist. I switch between the two weekly. My 8800 feels steady and solid. The Curve is great for its media capabilities during boring meetings.

03-12-08 08:39 PM
    I had a sidekick 3 and had it stolen. I picked up a berry and heavent looked back. First I got my Curve and loved it. Then I picked up an 8800 off craigslist. I switch between the two weekly. My 8800 feels steady and solid. The Curve is great for its media capabilities during boring meetings.

Why would you have someone steal it "I had it stolen?"

Just kidding

Which one do you like better? Besides the "more manly feel" what makes the 8800 better than the Curve...to you?

msblueline
    03-12-08 08:47 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD